Zucchini - why?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Alan
GURU
GURU

Zucchini - why?

Postby Alan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:58 am

As usual we have zucchini all over the place, so the other night I fried some up to go as a side dish for our meal, i'm trying to expand my palette. I took one bite and spit it out, I'm done with fried zucchini. Yesterday morning I got up and decided to make some zucchini muffins while my wife slept in, zucchini bread recipe in a muffin tray. While mixing it up I realized with all the sugar and cinnamon I was adding I was simple masking the taste of the grated zucchini. I decided that mankind was simply doing everything possible to justify the existence of zucchini a truly worthless squash that refuses not to grow and multiply. I told my wife to beat me about the head and shoulders if I planted zucchini next year.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Re: Zucchini - why?

Postby J&D Cattle » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 am

I love fried zucchini and zucchini bread. We grill it quite a bit too. Cut it into stips, season, and add olive oil.
0 x
J & D Cattle

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:20 am

I like it prepared just about any way. Fried, baked, microwaved.... All good to me.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:52 am

Alan wrote:As usual we have zucchini all over the place, so the other night I fried some up to go as a side dish for our meal, i'm trying to expand my palette. I took one bite and spit it out, I'm done with fried zucchini. Yesterday morning I got up and decided to make some zucchini muffins while my wife slept in, zucchini bread recipe in a muffin tray. While mixing it up I realized with all the sugar and cinnamon I was adding I was simple masking the taste of the grated zucchini. I decided that mankind was simply doing everything possible to justify the existence of zucchini a truly worthless squash that refuses not to grow and multiply. I told my wife to beat me about the head and shoulders if I planted zucchini next year.

Alan I wasn't with you on the radishes but im with you on the zuyucki I do not like them at all and never planted 1. :lol:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:00 pm

The best way to eat zucchini is raw with ranch dressing. Not bad with thousand island either.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:05 pm

ga.prime wrote:The best way to eat zucchini is raw with ranch dressing. Not bad with thousand island either.

:yuck:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:20 pm

The best zucchini boomed this morning and will be picked this afternoon....tomorrow morning at the latest.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Alan wrote:As usual we have zucchini all over the place, so the other night I fried some up to go as a side dish for our meal, i'm trying to expand my palette. I took one bite and spit it out, I'm done with fried zucchini. Yesterday morning I got up and decided to make some zucchini muffins while my wife slept in, zucchini bread recipe in a muffin tray. While mixing it up I realized with all the sugar and cinnamon I was adding I was simple masking the taste of the grated zucchini. I decided that mankind was simply doing everything possible to justify the existence of zucchini a truly worthless squash that refuses not to grow and multiply. I told my wife to beat me about the head and shoulders if I planted zucchini next year.

Sort of like carrot cake and a few other things. There may be a bit in there but not much.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Don't think of it as masking the taste of the zucchini, think of it as one more luxury created from lowly flour, sugar and eggs.
All quick breads have the same fundamental ingredients too, after all. (banana, blueberry, cranberry, etc.)
You guys just don't know what you're missing. :lol:
I agree zucchini is best raw, or at least still very crisp. I use it the same way I would use cucumbers. diced or sliced in salads, spring rolls, california rolls, fresh slices or sticks in dressing. Makes a great pancake. Steamed or Stir fried as long as it's not overcooked. Also makes delicious pickles and relish. Fried is way down at the bottom of my list, but I'm not fond of most deep fried foods anyway.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:54 pm

In one of my dad's many get rich quick schemes we planted several acres of zucchini and were going to corner the market. We didn't. We literally ate our losses and I don't think there is any manner of preparing zucchini that I have had my bait of. I have never planted a zucchini seed after this. I will eat it but each bite gives me flashbacks.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Running Arrow Bill
GURU
GURU

Postby Running Arrow Bill » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:28 pm

One time a guy asked me how many zucchini seeds to plant? I told him...

One HALF of a seed

Zucchini should be classified as an invasive noxious weed...
0 x
RUNNING ARROW FARM, LLC
Registered Texas Longhorns & TWH's
Senior Sires, "TOTEM POLE" & "JBR CASH"
http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com
longhorncattle2013@gmail.com

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:51 pm

I love it ALL WAYS cooked! It takes the place of meat around here! :lol: (I know BAD to say on a cattle board full of meat eaters.) :cboy:
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:48 pm

I was going to say my dad and I have been limiting my mother's zuchhini growing to 1 seed a year... I like it in a ratattoui, once in a while.. But I come from a place that sounds a little like Jo's place... Our problem wasn't so much that we planted a lot, but my mother would wait until they were 3 feet long to pick them.... Plus, we grew 2 acres of squash, which is a close relative.

I think I couldn't have said it better than Running Arrow Bill though... One HALF a seed a year is what we're going to push for!

Another thing I can't STAND anymore are leeks
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Running Arrow Bill wrote:One time a guy asked me how many zucchini seeds to plant? I told him...

One HALF of a seed

Zucchini should be classified as an invasive noxious weed...

X2 not even a half of a seed, just getting around to planning this years garden ....... I guarantee any zucchini starts will die! :D
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:17 pm

I always plant tons of that and squash. We get our fill and have free livestock feed with the rest.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”