Zucchini - why?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Zucchini - why?

Postby Nesikep » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:41 pm

When we grew an acre of carrots, an acre of potatoes, 2 acres of squash, and a half acre of onions, our cows were really spoiled... One thing I'll never forget is this one cow that was stuck in the corral after having a uterine torsion, got most of a manure spreader of onions... The next day the smell of her belches were certainly biohazards... The potency was staggering.. she must have eaten 50 lbs of them. Not a word of a lie, if you were downwind of her 100 yards you'd go green!

Alan.. just put some roundup in her watering can!.. just make sure she doesn't do the tomatoes with the same can :)
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:59 am

Onions can cause toxicosis and death in cows. I know somebody that found that out the hard way.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:25 am

Zucchini is listed as a non-starchy vegetable by the American Diabetes Association. So, that's a good thing for people needing to limit carbohydrates. I like it raw with just some salt and pepper sprinkled on it. It's very good split lengthwise or into spears and buttered with salt and pepper and grilled.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

kucala5
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kucala5 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:40 pm

I am planning to harvest zucchini blooms this year, stuff with goat cheese and chives, batter and fry. Supposed to be delish, but fried cheese always is! :nod:
0 x
Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
Abraham Lincoln

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:16 pm

cow pollinater wrote:I always plant tons of that and squash. We get our fill and have free livestock feed with the rest.

Back when we lived in the city we could not afford to go out much. So we used to eat our fill and then let the zucchini grow really really big. For fun on the weekend we would leave one monster on each doorstep in the dark of night... :nod:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:24 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
cow pollinater wrote:I always plant tons of that and squash. We get our fill and have free livestock feed with the rest.

Back when we lived in the city we could not afford to go out much. So we used to eat our fill and then let the zucchini grow really really big. For fun on the weekend we would leave one monster on each doorstep in the dark of night... :nod:

Steve, that is a crazy party you guys had! Wild men! :lol:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:31 pm

Alan wrote: Steve, that is a crazy party you guys had! Wild men! :lol:

We make up fun out of thin air.

Stop in for a hay ride or a bonfire some time !!!
0 x
Stocker Steve

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:

pods.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_o ... _Snatchers
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:54 pm

ga.prime wrote:The best way to eat zucchini is raw with ranch dressing. Not bad with thousand island either.

Yep...and if you run out just slice up all your yellow squash and enjoy them raw....sweet and satisfying.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:52 am

I've eaten okra right off the stalk--sweet!
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:29 am

I steam squash, broccoli and cauliflower and spray with some of that flavored buttered stuff, then sprinkle with Lawry's seasoned salt. It doesn't take long and it is seriously good.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Return to “Gardening”