Garden 2014

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Garden 2014

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:00 pm

Yes, Its almost that time again. It's too wet to break up the ground but I am deciding on what to plant this year. I am mixed on what potatoes to plant this year last year I planted regular white potatoes and had tons of them but this year I don't know whether to try Red potatoes or Yukon gold. I am leaning towards yukon gold. What is you all's favorite kind to raise ? I have decided to raise corn taters maters peas snap beans sweet taters habenero and green peppers okra cabbages so far. Whats everyone else planting this time around?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Re: Garden 2014

Postby M5farm » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:26 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Yes, Its almost that time again. It's too wet to break up the ground but I am deciding on what to plant this year. I am mixed on what potatoes to plant this year last year I planted regular white potatoes and had tons of them but this year I don't know whether to try Red potatoes or Yukon gold. I am leaning towards yukon gold. What is you all's favorite kind to raise ? I have decided to raise corn taters maters peas snap beans sweet taters habenero and green peppers okra cabbages so far. Whats everyone else planting this time around?

Yukon are good but don't expect the them to produce like the reds

I planted one row of Yukon last week and 2 rows onions . Got to plant my reds this weekend
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:29 pm

I have never planted anything but white potatoes so this is going to be a new experience for me. Do the reds produce as much as the white taters do? I don't know why I still plant onions they never grow any bigger than a lemon but boy are they strong.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Try some caribe potatoes. They're the best all around potato that I've found so far.
Right now we're living on broccoli and brussel sprouts with some cauliflour mixed in. The salads for now are complete with lettuce,spinach, kale, beets and carrots but I didn't put out enough carrots to do us much good. Parsnips were a failure this year and I really miss them. Onions didn't do to well but it's to early to miss them.
In the greenhouse my tomatoes are up about three inches as are the eggplant. I'm doing sweet, bell, and salsa peppers and they're at an inch tall.
I'm going heavy on stuff we can preserve this year, especially beans. Winter squash has been another favorite of mine for quite a while and we'll ramp that up this year as well.
I don't usually mess with corn but we have some pasture ground that will be vacant this year as we'll develop it to almonds next year so I'm going to plant it corn and produce a few years worth to freeze/can.
Fruit trees are a mainstay for us. Since we moved a year ago and had to re-plant, this will be the first year that we get a few pieces of fruit off of the new trees and that is like waiting for an AI calf for me.
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:37 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I have never planted anything but white potatoes so this is going to be a new experience for me. Do the reds produce as much as the white taters do? I don't know why I still plant onions they never grow any bigger than a lemon but boy are they strong.
reds will produce alot and are my favorite . I start digging mine when they get just about size of a golf ball . With onions in the fall I plant the sprigs. In the spring I plant the sets (bulbs) the trick is not to plant 2 deep. Once they set their roots you want to get the dirt off of the onion bulb buy doing this it will make it flatten out.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:54 pm

I will plant some reds this year then. ah ha thats the trickI normally plant them about 2 inches deep and leave them even give a great dose of 19-19-19 and they still didnt do much. Thanks m5 my grandfather used horse poo on his onions and they were hellaciously strong and make you cry in the other room and were the size of grapefruits but I have no access to it so im stuck with regular fertilizer.
0 x

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Iam planing on planting potatoes corn cabbage peas green beans and a lot of tomatoes. I usually plant 40 or tomato plants to make sure we get enough to eat and can. Last year it was so wet that our tomatoes didn't do very good.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:47 am

pricefarm wrote:Iam planing on planting potatoes corn cabbage peas green beans and a lot of tomatoes. I usually plant 40 or tomato plants to make sure we get enough to eat and can. Last year it was so wet that our tomatoes didn't do very good.

mine kept busting open for some reason and some rotted i am planning on starting to mix powdered milk with water cause someone said they need calcium.
0 x

John SD
GURU
GURU

Postby John SD » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:17 pm

I won't be planting anything, but if I did, white potatoes are my favorite over red potatoes. Reds on average seem to yield a little better than white though. Maybe that is a "here" thing.

Another "here" thing is that you should always plant your potatoes on Good Friday. Some years, Good Friday is too early and the ground is still too cold. Best potato crops I have ever raised were planted June 1. ;-)

Another thing I used to raise was spaghetti squash. Haven't had them for years and some showed up in the grocery store recently from Mexico. Pretty darn good, and surprisingly good as far as blood sugar if you have to watch that.

I cut squash in half and take out the seeds and put in the 250 degree oven for an hour. With a little butter in the center where I have taken the seeds out. Have had the oven going a lot lately anyway to take the chill off.

When squash are done add more butter if necessary and add pepper or Mrs Dash to taste. I try to avoid salt as much as possible, and pretty easy to do with these squash I don't miss salt.
0 x
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness
copyright July 4, 1776

Smile and do something nice for a liberal today. It will drive them nuts!

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:50 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
pricefarm wrote:Iam planing on planting potatoes corn cabbage peas green beans and a lot of tomatoes. I usually plant 40 or tomato plants to make sure we get enough to eat and can. Last year it was so wet that our tomatoes didn't do very good.

mine kept busting open for some reason and some rotted i am planning on starting to mix powdered milk with water cause someone said they need calcium.

Southern states selling a product that u mix with water and then spray onto the tomato plants with a garden sprayer that's a calcium supplement that works good. I will check and see what the name of it is.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:49 pm

pricefarm wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Southern states selling a product that u mix with water and then spray onto the tomato plants with a garden sprayer that's a calcium supplement that works good. I will check and see what the name of it is.

Thanks I definately need that. I think this year I will also stake my tomatoes too normally I don't
0 x

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Ya keeping them up off the ground will help a lot. I use a cattle panel I put in three tpost to hold the cattle panel up and plant the tomatoes close to the panel on both sides of the panel and stager the plants. Then as they grow I tie them to the panel works great. I have tryed just using a wooden stake but if the plant gets real big the wind would blow them over. Even the cages that they make for tomatoes seem to blow over as well.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:34 pm

pricefarm wrote:Ya keeping them up off the ground will help a lot. I use a cattle panel I put in three tpost to hold the cattle panel up and plant the tomatoes close to the panel on both sides of the panel and stager the plants. Then as they grow I tie them to the panel works great. I have tryed just using a wooden stake but if the plant gets real big the wind would blow them over. Even the cages that they make for tomatoes seem to blow over as well.

Thats a real good idea. I haven't staked any tomatoes in many years since I was a kid I have been buying from a lady that says they dont need to be staked and i haven't been but they get so loaded they lay over on the ground and its a pain to pick them.
0 x

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:48 pm

This is what I spray on my tomatoes works real good. I spray it on every couple of weeks unless it's rain a lot then I spray them every week.
0 x

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:17 pm

I disced the big garden Wednesday before the rain yesterday. Didn't get to put my pre-emerge herbicide applied before the rain though. Forecast shows some rain next week, so I'll disc again and spray the chemical next week. I've started planning out a new garden area using raised bed. Just need to go get some 2x6x10 to start. Will build six (6) raised beds that are 5ft x 10ft. These will be in addition to the two (2) 4ft x 10ft beds I have now along my duck pen, as well as, in addition to the 60ft x 80ft garden at my grandfather's that we use the tractor in.

Area to be raised beds:

Plan:

Side note: I spoke of pre-emerge herbicide. Below is a picture from my experiment this winter with the herbicide. Supposed to give 6 months weed control AND is labelled for vegetables which means you can apply the chemical and then direct sow vegetable seeds with no concerns. The only vegetable the label does list as transplant required is tomatoes. Can clearly see where I stopped spraying further down the row.

0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

Return to “Gardening”