Garden 2014

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Garden 2014

Postby MudHog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:53 am

CottageFarm wrote:
Maybe that's why she threw out the "stick a fork in them to check". Old people are sneaky like that. :lol:

:lol: Too funny!
My SIL was telling me about her grandmother's noodle recipe:

Flour, eggs....

No instructions, nothing else. :D

Yep and old people have "measurement" down to a science. My wife's grandmother could fold her hand and uses the creases on the inside of her palm to measure teaspoon and tablespoon. IF they even measure at all.

CottageFarm wrote:Okra is another of those regional things.
I grew some one year with the intent of pickling, thinking I might like it that way.
Apparently you need a lot of plants to get enough to make it worthwhile. :lol:
I didn't have nearly enough, so I just gave away what I did get.
It has some of the prettiest flowers I've ever seen on a vege, though. I would grow it again just as an ornamental!

Okra is a Hibiscus, which is why they are a warm loving plant. I don't plant Okra until June and is the only thing growing in the garden during the Summer months. Some folks are highly allergic to Okra, but they are more so allergic to Hibiscus plants in general and not just Okra. One complaint with Okra is that the plants get tall. If you plant Okra thick, they get tall. If you plant then 6ft apart, they don't get as tall, but yield the same amount as thicker planted Okra.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:09 am

Alan wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I put beets in the same category as Alan's radishes :yuck: I have no idea how people eat those my wife and grandmother and even my kids eat the heck out of them. :lol2: CF how many do you normally can a year?

I don't do a whole lot of gardening these days, so I hadn't open this thread until this morning.

Jules! BACK OFF THE RADISH!! :mad: :lol: :lol: :lol: until a radish sandwhich has passed you lips and gums....... Ah never mind. :lol:

LMAO I promise you this year I will try one and post a pic.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:42 am

MudHog wrote:no harm sky. If all you've ever had was fried. Try it smoothered. Chop it up like you would fry them, but put them in a pot with a little oil in the bottom. Cook until you get to the texture you like. Some people put some tomato and onions in the pot too. I don't and just smoother the okra by itself. Smoothered okra with some rice and gravy is some good. :)

I like what you're calling smothered okra but we just call it fried okra. Smothered is a more descriptive name for it. I was taught that method by my mother and I use it much more often than the traditional frying method. We add some corn meal and stir it in after the okra has cooked for awhile. It's best to burn it a little before serving. Great with peas or butterbeans or dried lima beans.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:52 am

MudHog wrote:OK folks. Boiling okra for 10 minutes will give you somewhat soft crunchy okra. I, myself, like much softer boiled okra.

If the okra is over mature, certainly it will have some crunch. If it's tender pods there won't be any crunch. Like M5 said, you can tell if it's too "hard" (overly mature) when you cut the stem. I personally like okra however long it's cooked. The main reason for only cooking 10 minutes or so when in the pot with peas or butterbeans is the pods stay intact. That way, if there's someone at the table that doesn't like okra, they don't have to get any. Cook much longer than 10 or 15 minutes and the okra will start falling apart and then you get okra mixed with the peas or beans whether you want it or not.
0 x

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:54 am

AHH HAA! So we in regards to boiling, we were talking two different methods of cooking. Fried Okra for me (us in south LA) is cut into chunks, battered, and deep fried in oil. Below is fried Okra for me in South LA.

Some folks do less batter and get this:

Now, we do "fry" egg here which is taking an egg in a skillet with oil and cooking it. Pulling the hot grease over the top of the egg to harden the yolk. Over Easy, Over Medium would be the terms for amount the yolk is cooked.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:51 pm

My wife makes it like the top pic... good eating.
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:59 pm

ga.prime wrote:
MudHog wrote:OK folks. Boiling okra for 10 minutes will give you somewhat soft crunchy okra. I, myself, like much softer boiled okra.

If the okra is over mature, certainly it will have some crunch. If it's tender pods there won't be any crunch. Like M5 said, you can tell if it's too "hard" (overly mature) when you cut the stem. I personally like okra however long it's cooked. The main reason for only cooking 10 minutes or so when in the pot with peas or butterbeans is the pods stay intact. That way, if there's someone at the table that doesn't like okra, they don't have to get any. Cook much longer than 10 or 15 minutes and the okra will start falling apart and then you get okra mixed with the peas or beans whether you want it or not.

Gp you have to have field corn and maters with the peas and a pod of pepper.

What I just described is my favorite meal. If I get the choice it would be my last meal on earth along with a ribeye .extra rare of course.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:18 pm

M5farm wrote:Gp you have to have field corn and maters with the peas and a pod of pepper. What I just described is my favorite meal. If I get the choice it would be my last meal on earth along with a ribeye .extra rare of course.

Mine too, brother! Have some sliced onions and cornbread with that. Maybe some fried side meat or country ham. Nothing better in the world..
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:22 pm

I wanted rain not wind but got both..GRRR grandma was a lil peeved that wind messed up her corn

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:09 pm

0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:46 am

I've straightened up lots of sweet corn in my life. Always easier if you plant a little further apart and always on flat ground--not on a raised furrow. Saw a guy start off planting the seeds in tall rows, and just made a seed furrow down the top of the thing. He had no way to throw dirt up on the stalk when it got about 3' tall and the wind blew it all over.
Yours looks like it is just now tasseling out--stand it back up and it should do fine. If you leave it like that at this stage, most of the ears won't be filled out.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:57 pm

greybeard wrote:I've straightened up lots of sweet corn in my life. Always easier if you plant a little further apart and always on flat ground--not on a raised furrow. Saw a guy start off planting the seeds in tall rows, and just made a seed furrow down the top of the thing. He had no way to throw dirt up on the stalk when it got about 3' tall and the wind blew it all over.
Yours looks like it is just now tasseling out--stand it back up and it should do fine. If you leave it like that at this stage, most of the ears won't be filled out.

Yea its straight now and tasseled out we are getting corn now I typically plant corn next to my tater rows which is the left of the corn and hill the corn once while one of the times I hill the taters. I will never plant red taters again. They hardly produced dug 8 hills to get 5 lbs of taters and they are small I will stick to the white taters from now on.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:21 pm

we canned 12 quarts of tomatoes this week well grandma did
0 x

Return to “Gardening”