Garden 2014

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Garden 2014

Postby MudHog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:55 am

I like seeing rows too, which is why I have both. :) My beds actually gave me more places for roses which was my main goal. The vegetables were an added bonus. I have 26 roses in total, with 4 more to be added next year in the two latest beds.

In the big garden, I may do a "rest" period to try and gain control on the weeds. Not plant anything and spray a preemerge and then Glyphosate on anything that does germinate. Crabgrass and Barnyardgrass are my biggest enemies. If either gets to big, even the hoe has trouble cutting them and end up using the hoe as a shovel to dig them out. I do like spraying Poast which is a selective straight leave herbicide, but cannot spray right now with Corn growing.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:58 am

Do you break your garden the one with rows up every year?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:02 am

I do not as far as the entire garden. During the Summer I have Okra growing which is the only thing until Fall. So some of the garden gets a break in that regards. Fall and Winter I have something growing through to the Spring when it gets cleaned and disced for Spring planting.

If you mean "break" as far as discing, yes I do every time. I'll disc anything left in the garden that doesn't get thrown to the cows after harvest.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:05 am

by breaking up around here that means plow it with a bottom plow. I guess I should have said do you plow your garden every year? I plow the garden twice a year and seems to help keep the weeds down because when I wasnt plowing just discing weeds were EVERYWHERE
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:28 am

Not many people use a bottom plow or a moldboard plow down south and certainly not used in Big AG. Many do use a subsoiler to break up the hardpan and a disc. There are quite a few chisel plows though, but your still not turning over the soil like with a bottom plow. I could see the benefits of a bottom plow as your flipping over the soil and most likely covering the top layer with enough new soil to prevent the seeds from germinating. A common misconception down this way is that people will call a disc a plow, but a disc is not a plow.

May have to look around the area and see who may have an old bottom plow to sell. My plan was to just keep spraying the weeds until I get most all the seeds.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:49 am

MudHog wrote:Not many people use a bottom plow or a moldboard plow down south and certainly not used in Big AG. Many do use a subsoiler to break up the hardpan and a disc. There are quite a few chisel plows though, but your still not turning over the soil like with a bottom plow. I could see the benefits of a bottom plow as your flipping over the soil and most likely covering the top layer with enough new soil to prevent the seeds from germinating. A common misconception down this way is that people will call a disc a plow, but a disc is not a plow.

May have to look around the area and see who may have an old bottom plow to sell. My plan was to just keep spraying the weeds until I get most all the seeds.

ah ok I understand now. Yea turning the soil over frequently had definately IMO help control weeds. I am a row crop farmer as well and no thank you on the bottom plowing we just spray lol I think after you use the plow and turn the soil over a few times you will see major decline in weeds you have or atleast I did.
0 x

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:30 pm

Picked these at lunch time to bring to a co-worker. These are Detroit Dark. Picked about double this yesterday and brought to my grandparents.

0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:37 pm

Now see I have tried for 2 years to raise beets and I declare not a flippin seed has ever germinated. :clap: :tiphat: Now anything else I can make it grow alfalfa and beets have beat me down I had to wave the white flag and submit. I dont know if its cause my soil type or what.
0 x

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:44 pm

This is my 4th attempt after three failed attempts. Funny you say that because on a gardening forum I started a new topic titled "Beat the Beets". I feel your pain, but I've finally beat the beets!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:52 pm

MudHog wrote:This is my 4th attempt after three failed attempts. Funny you say that because on a gardening forum I started a new topic titled "Beat the Beets". I feel your pain, but I've finally beat the beets!

lol I dont even like beets I just wanted to grow them just to say i did and give them away :lol2: I wont attempt anymore i can focus that work on something else. The beets i planted would germinate then just not grow and die.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:31 pm

It's very easy to plant beets too deep. Plant them about a quarter to an eighth of an inch deep next time.. If any deer happen by they'll eat all your beets ahead of everything else. I got some of those encapsulated seeds, like little white BB's, last year but misplaced them and they never got planted.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:35 pm

ga.prime wrote:It's very easy to plant beets too deep. Plant them about a quarter to an eighth of an inch deep next time.. If any deer happen by they'll eat all your beets ahead of everything else. I got some of those encapsulated seeds, like little white BB's, last year but misplaced them and they never got planted.

Planting too deep is possible i plant turnips and beets same way but beets thrive lol I have never saw the encapsulated seeds only the ugly strange looking ones.
0 x

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:46 pm

What your calling encapsulated are called Pelleted Seeds. Those are seeds are used with seed planters. The coating is to aid the single seed through a seed planter and eliminate clogging of seed plates. Also helps with smaller seeds to control the amount of seeds being dropped. I had some Pelleted tomato seeds this year that I just happen to pick up. Nothing for use in my planter, just seen the different variety and bought them. Didn't realize the packet was pelleted until I opened the packet.

I always had the same problem with beets, good germination, but no growth past about 2-3" tall. The three attempts were in the big garden and in different areas of the big garden. These that I picked were grown in one of my raised beds.
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:55 pm

When are you planting your beets, sky?
If they're germinating, but not really growing, and then dying back, it sounds kinda like a temperature issue.
Your soil type looks sandy/loam? If so that would be great for all kinds of root veges, I think!
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:59 pm

CottageFarm wrote:When are you planting your beets, sky?
If they're germinating, but not really growing, and then dying back, it sounds kinda like a temperature issue.
Your soil type looks sandy/loam? If so that would be great for all kinds of root veges, I think!

I planted 2 times in the fall 1 time in spring. CF you are right on soil type and is normally good for root vegs but for some reason beets just will not perform. Maybe I did plant too deep but this spring I used my finger and pushed them into the ground maybe about a inch and I guess that was too much too normally I run over them with a disc barely covering the turnip seeds and they grow like nobodys business.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”