Garden 2014

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
CottageFarm
-

Re: Garden 2014

Postby CottageFarm » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Hmm, I don't have any other good ideas off the top of my head.
I've had issues a few years with soil temps too low in late season plantings and I give up on them if we get a really cold September , but I've never run into problems with spring plantings. They can be slow to start if I plant too early in April (soil temp 40-45), but they'll generally take off when soil temps hit about 50. They can struggle some when it gets really hot, too, but the greens are generally pretty good size by that time and help shade the soil to keep it cooler. They won't thrive in quite as cold temps as the turnips though. Turnips seem to be bullet proof to all but a really hard freeze. You could maybe try planting some in July, see if they like that.
BTW, you're missing really good stuff not liking fresh beets!!! :D Nothing like the canned or even grocery produce ones. YUMMMM
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:31 pm

I put beets in the same category as Alan's radishes :yuck: I have no idea how people eat those my wife and grandmother and even my kids eat the heck out of them. :lol2: CF how many do you normally can a year?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:58 am

I'm not a huge fan of radishes either, can take 'em or leave 'em..... but fresh beets....yummmmm.
One of my all time favorite salads is spinach with bacon, beets and bleu cheese

I used to can about 2 dozen pints a year, but I freeze them now. It's not perfect, but I like it better than canned and I don't have to spend as time as I do pressure canning. I'm really fundamentally lazy. :lol:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:40 pm

Canning is a lot of work. I will only can chow chow pickles and sweet taters this year... THATS ENOUGH lol everything else will be frozen
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:27 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I put beets in the same category as Alan's radishes :yuck: I have no idea how people eat those my wife and grandmother and even my kids eat the heck out of them. :lol2: CF how many do you normally can a year?

I can't eat the things either Sky...my wife will eat them til she pees pink. :shock:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:58 pm

TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I put beets in the same category as Alan's radishes :yuck: I have no idea how people eat those my wife and grandmother and even my kids eat the heck out of them. :lol2: CF how many do you normally can a year?

I can't eat the things either Sky...my wife will eat them til she pees pink. :shock:

:lol2: They are gross.
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:14 pm

TexasBred wrote:

It doesn't take many for that to happen, TB :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
0 x

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:30 am

I picked half a dozen more yesterday to try myself. I called my grandma on how to cook them and quickly knew I wasn't going to be eating beets yesterday when she started off with "boil for 3 hours or until a fork goes easily into them". This was 6:30PM yesterday, so I surely wasn't going to stay up late boiling beets. They sitting in a bowl on the counter and will put them boiling one night right when I get home from work.The ones I gave my grandparents last week were supposedly the sweetest they've ever eaten.

On a better note, I picked 20 cucumbers Saturday off my four plants. Yesterday I got my Canteloupe and Watermelon plants in the ground and weeded around my Watermelon plants that were already in the ground. Sprayed some Glyphosate on the abundance of grass in the garden.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:15 pm

yea I wouldnt have cooked them either .. .Good job I stopped raising watermelon and canteloupe after one year they took over the garden and smoothered out my near and dear to my heart sweet taters lol
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:11 pm

This year has been so screwy weather wise that just about everything I've grown has failed. I think I'd have had more potatoes if I'd eaten the seed stock. :lol:
Every stinkin' year I start my peppers, tomatoes, etc about a month to early in the greenhouse and then they're to leggy when it's time to set them out. THIS year I MADE myself wait thinking the weather would turn. :bang: I could have planted a month earlier than I usually do. I think I'm the only one in my area not eating tomatoes already. :bang:
Green beans and winter squash are staple crops for us and I should do okay on those. I got my annual sunburned forehead today picking greenbeans as I always pick them into my hat and picking is the only time it comes off outside. :lol: I switched to Jade this year but I think I'm going back to Provider next year.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:38 pm

my peppers are not growing i think the cold weather hitting them stunted the growth but they have peppers on them.
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:46 pm

I think I'd have had more potatoes if I'd eaten the seed stock

:lol: , too funny, CP, though I'm sorry about your garden.
What kind of winter squash do you like? I love most of them and am always looking for interesting new varieties to try.

Sky, sweet taters are something I've never grown. Do you preserve them or only eat fresh? Truth be told I'm not completely certain that I've ever really eaten them, and if I have probably weren't prepared well. I've heard much acclaim about sweet potato pie, but have never tried it either. I know, I live in the wrong part of the country :lol2:

Mudhog, hope you're enjoying those fresh beets!
I'm not disagreeing with your Grandma, but it kinda depends on how big they are.
Tennis ball size takes about 50-60 minutes, smaller ones can be done in about 30 minutes, but bigger ones can take a long time.
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:08 pm

CottageFarm wrote:What kind of winter squash do you like? I love most of them and am always looking for interesting new varieties to try.

My favorite is the butternut. Territorial seed has a variety that puts out a lot of them in a smaller space and they're just the right size. I'm trying red curi this year as it's supposed to be sweeter and my wife always blends the butternuts with honey.
Speghetti is a really easy one to grow that will put out a ton of fruit that you can literally use as a substitute for pasta but the key is to store it for a few months before you try to use it. Most years (not this one :frowns: ) you can dump a few seeds on the ground and forget about them for three months and then come pick your pasta for the winter.
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Yep, love butternut, it's my favorite as well! I use honey too if I'm serving as a puree and just a hint of nutmeg. I also like it sautéed and stuffed in ravioli. I tried the Betternut variety last year and was very pleased with it. They were smaller than the Waltham, but were ready about 3 weeks earlier, though that probably isn't an issue in your area.
Love spaghetti, but it's against my religion to substitute it for pasta, but I do like it with alfredo sauce and I will serve it with pasta :D
Haven't tried the red curi yet, it sure is pretty in the pictures. I do like the gold nugget, which is similar to the red curi, it is rather dry, but the flavor was great. I added honey, salt, nutmeg and some cream to it and my husband flipped for it.
I like the kabocha (like buttercup) types too.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:06 pm

[quote="CottageFarm"]

Sky, sweet taters are something I've never grown. Do you preserve them or only eat fresh? Truth be told I'm not completely certain that I've ever really eaten them, and if I have probably weren't prepared well. I've heard much acclaim about sweet potato pie, but have never tried it either. I know, I live in the wrong part of the country :lol2:
quote]

Cottage, We do both eat fresh and can them. I tell you what if you got a good homemade sweet tater pie it will almost make you slap someone. lol Do they have sweet taters there you can buy?
0 x

Return to “Gardening”