Garden 2014

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
CottageFarm
-

Re: Garden 2014

Postby CottageFarm » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:36 pm

Yeah, they must, at least seasonally anyway. I guess I never looked :lol:
So...when are they in season? I'll try to remember to look for them.
Do you can them as a puree or in chunks?
Gotta try that pie someday!
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:37 pm

CottageFarm wrote:Yeah, they must, at least seasonally anyway. I guess I never looked :lol:
So...when are they in season? I'll try to remember to look for them.
Do you can them as a puree or in chunks?
Gotta try that pie someday!

Cottage here you can get them all year round and they also sell them in a can which they are pretty tasty in a can as well here is a can we did last September we chunk them boil them for a few minutes then put them in hot water with real orange juice helps to keep color and brownsugar in the water to flavor them while waiting to be used

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:04 am

I got new potatoes - in midwinter!
We haven't had a heavy frost yet. Lost all the plants to the neighbour's steers then drought, early in the year and they didn't pop up again till about May.
I'm going to dig up what's there soon, and let the dry cows graze that patch of ground, replant the tiny potatoes elsewhere and eat the bigger ones.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:12 am

regolith wrote:I got new potatoes - in midwinter!
We haven't had a heavy frost yet. Lost all the plants to the neighbour's steers then drought, early in the year and they didn't pop up again till about May.
I'm going to dig up what's there soon, and let the dry cows graze that patch of ground, replant the tiny potatoes elsewhere and eat the bigger ones.

regolith sounds good to me... speaking of potatoes I planted red this year vines are dying out now. I have a good amount but not like white potatoes so next year I will be planting either white or the uikon gold I think is what they are called.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:50 am

CottageFarm wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I put beets in the same category as Alan's radishes :yuck: I have no idea how people eat those my wife and grandmother and even my kids eat the heck out of them. :lol2: CF how many do you normally can a year?

I can't eat the things either Sky...my wife will eat them til she pees pink. :shock:

It doesn't take many for that to happen, TB :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

:lol2: :lol2: I see it's not as uncommon as I first thought.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:13 am

CottageFarm wrote:Mudhog, hope you're enjoying those fresh beets!
I'm not disagreeing with your Grandma, but it kinda depends on how big they are.
Tennis ball size takes about 50-60 minutes, smaller ones can be done in about 30 minutes, but bigger ones can take a long time.

Maybe that's why she threw out the "stick a fork in them to check". Old people are sneaky like that. :lol:

I ended up boiling me four of them last night. Biggest was smaller than a tennis ball and smallest was bigger than a golf ball. Took 2 hours to boil them. :shock: Didn't taste them yet. Was 9PM by the time I finished and I was tired. Peeled and sliced them, then put them in a covered bowl in the fridge. Will give them a taste this evening.

Boiling beets reminds me of boiling okra..... takes a long time.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:24 am

Are you kidding? Okra cooks in 5-10 minutes.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:53 am

Garden is really starting to produce now. Will be busy for the next few weeks.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:01 am

ga.prime wrote:Are you kidding? Okra cooks in 5-10 minutes.

That would be some seriously crunchy Okra for only boiling 5-10 minutes.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:02 am

I fry mine and its pretty quick but if you don't pick it when its small and wait till it gets huge it will be tougher than shoe leather and really stringy.

Jo you are way to busy of a person to be fooling with those veggies I can tell you a place to send it to in Va. :D ;-)
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:04 am

gp- they must be boiling what we throw on the ground. when I cut okra and the pod is over 4" I take my knife and slice the butt end if it drags and does cut smooth it does go in the bucket.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:14 am

M5farm wrote:gp- they must be boiling what we throw on the ground.

Got to be.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:16 am

I don't eat boiled okra never boiled any before I like mine fried with seasoned flower in slices. I normally only eat okra about 3 inches long anything longer I keep it in a basket and when it dries out get the seeds.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:19 am

Jogeephus wrote:Garden is really starting to produce now. Will be busy for the next few weeks.

Same here, Jo. Pea and bean picking starts tomorrow. No rain in two weeks, had to start watering yesterday.

0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:21 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I don't eat boiled okra never boiled any before I like mine fried with seasoned flower in slices. I normally only eat okra about 3 inches long anything longer I keep it in a basket and when it dries out get the seeds.

I love boiled okra that is slick as snot. we very seldom flour and fry any. we cut it up and put it in a greased spider salt and pepper and then stick it in the oven at 350 for 20 min. take it out and put on the burner on med high and stir it if its to gummy sprinkle a little corn meal on it and it will dry it some plus the corn meal will brown.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

Return to “Gardening”