Garden 2014

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Garden 2014

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:25 am

lol I gotta have crunch in okra. m5 the way you cook that you just said sounds pretty good.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:26 am

Yum! Love me some boiled with sliced onions and vinegar sprinkled on them. :D :D
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:27 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I don't eat boiled okra never boiled any before I like mine fried with seasoned flower in slices. I normally only eat okra about 3 inches long anything longer I keep it in a basket and when it dries out get the seeds.

Here's what you need to try next time you cook some butterbeans or peas- When they're done put a hand full of pods in- tender ones like you described above- and put the lid on the pot and let it continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes. You'll be beyond amazed at how good that okra is eaten along with the peas or beans.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:32 am

ga.prime wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I don't eat boiled okra never boiled any before I like mine fried with seasoned flower in slices. I normally only eat okra about 3 inches long anything longer I keep it in a basket and when it dries out get the seeds.

Here's what you need to try next time you cook some butterbeans or peas- When they're done put a hand full of pods in- tender ones like you described above- and put the lid on the pot and let it continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes. You'll be beyond amazed at how good that okra is eaten along with the peas or beans.

I may try that I just planted some butter beans in place of where my peas had died out.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:35 am

For boiled okra, I use the small 4" long or less okra. If you've never boiled okra, give it a try, but it takes a couple hours to boil them. Once boiled, sprinkle some black pepper and put a little vinegar on them. Eat whole and slide right down. No chewing needed. :)

Okra for me is best boiled or smothered. I do like fried okra, but I keep smothered okra in the freezer. Boiled okra is when I'm picking to cut for smothering and I make a small batch of boiled at the same time.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:46 am

[quote="MudHog"]For boiled okra, I use the small 4" long or less okra. If you've never boiled okra, give it a try, but it takes a couple hours to boil them. Once boiled, sprinkle some black pepper and put a little vinegar on them. Eat whole and slide right down. No chewing needed. :)

Mudhog, Are you turning on the burner? :hide:
Doesn't take that long at my house. :banana: :banana:
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:49 am

MudHog wrote:For boiled okra, I use the small 4" long or less okra. If you've never boiled okra, give it a try, but it takes a couple hours to boil them.

Looks like we're talking about two different things. I'm talking about okra. I don't know what you're talking about. Sky, don't put any vinegar on your okra.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:56 am

ga.prime wrote:
MudHog wrote:For boiled okra, I use the small 4" long or less okra. If you've never boiled okra, give it a try, but it takes a couple hours to boil them.

Looks like we're talking about two different things. I'm talking about okra. I don't know what you're talking about. Sky, don't put any vinegar on your okra.

:lol2:
0 x

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:57 am

ga.prime wrote:

Ga
That is a local custom. We eat them as a side salad, but shouldn't take more than 10 minutes unless it is "seed" okra. Ha! Try this site for recipe.
http://www.realcajunrecipes.com/recipe/ ... iled-okra/
0 x

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:21 am

OK folks. Boiling okra for 10 minutes will give you somewhat soft crunchy okra. I, myself, like much softer boiled okra. To follow M5's comment of "snot", that is basically the texture of boiled okra when I'm finished boiling. The okra itself has become somewhat stringy, but is still in tact. My boiled okra, you don't have to chew. 10 minute boiled okra you'd be chewing and have crunch too. I like my boiled okra slimy. Forgive me if that is a problem, but just how I was raised. Maybe I need MY grandma to write a "cajun receipe" for that website. Just because it's on a website doesn't mean it is the bible.

I got Okra planted now and will take some pictures once I pick and boil okra the way I do from learning from my grandma.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:30 am

Mud everyone does everything different. I have never boiled any so I have no clue how long it takes or what consistency is I just fry mine and the 3-5 mins of cooking mine is pretty soft. I know there is different varieties out there that consistency may be different I don't know but. I am not knocking how you cook and how long so dont think that. :)
0 x

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:41 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Mud everyone does everything different. I have never boiled any so I have no clue how long it takes or what consistency is I just fry mine and the 3-5 mins of cooking mine is pretty soft. I know there is different varieties out there that consistency may be different I don't know but. I am not knocking how you cook and how long so dont think that. :)

no harm sky. If all you've ever had was fried. Try it smoothered. Chop it up like you would fry them, but put them in a pot with a little oil in the bottom. Cook until you get to the texture you like. Some people put some tomato and onions in the pot too. I don't and just smoother the okra by itself. Smoothered okra with some rice and gravy is some good. :)
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:42 am

Maybe that's why she threw out the "stick a fork in them to check". Old people are sneaky like that. :lol:

:lol: Too funny!
My SIL was telling me about her grandmother's noodle recipe:

Flour, eggs....

No instructions, nothing else. :D
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:46 am

Okra is another of those regional things.
I grew some one year with the intent of pickling, thinking I might like it that way.
Apparently you need a lot of plants to get enough to make it worthwhile. :lol:
I didn't have nearly enough, so I just gave away what I did get.
It has some of the prettiest flowers I've ever seen on a vege, though. I would grow it again just as an ornamental!
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:52 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I put beets in the same category as Alan's radishes :yuck: I have no idea how people eat those my wife and grandmother and even my kids eat the heck out of them. :lol2: CF how many do you normally can a year?

I don't do a whole lot of gardening these days, so I hadn't open this thread until this morning.

Jules! BACK OFF THE RADISH!! :mad: :lol: :lol: :lol: until a radish sandwhich has passed you lips and gums....... Ah never mind. :lol:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Return to “Gardening”