How to grow onions

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: How to grow onions

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:25 am

There were a few pickings between pictures, but this is the tail end of the cooking onions, the rest will stay in the ground to get big. Next picture will be of the onions for storage..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:14 pm

Just curious why do you eat 4 cups of lettuce and 2 carrots every day?

Nice garden bet it saves you a lot of money on groceries. I have thought about planting a garden but never do it mainly because I don't know jack about panting one and would have to water all the time because it don't rain. Maybe I will start out small and plant a few things in some old mineral tubs next year.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:41 pm

My husband and i both eat a 'big' salad every weekday at lunch. We've been eating this salad for over 10 years, each salad consist of 4 cups of lettuce, half an apple, one carrot(cut into matchsticks), half a avocado, we split a pack of tuna(although i give my husband 3/4 and i get 1/4) a sprinkle of blue cheese, dried cranberries and then sprayed with balsamic vinegar. We get in all our recommended things we should eat, along with our oatmeal in the morning.. Then we can eat whatever for supper, which is always healthy anyway. I hate having to think things up for a meal...having 2 set meals leaves me only one meal to have to think up. I'm a very structured person in some aspects and my brain is always on overdrive so this just helps me..
I can have a plant sitting at my sink with a cup for water to water it and that plant will never get watered. You look around my house and you'd think i spend my days dragging around a water hose to keep everything watered. But no, i have lines running everywhere and each plant has a drip. And you'd think i could at least turn the water on once a day, nope, i'd forget or I'd turn it on and forget..So every main line is on a timer that turns on and then turns off automatically...They've made it so easy now. You can get everything at home depot, its cheap and last forever. The only tools you need is a pair of scissors...You can water so much without even noticing it on your water bill...When i plant my garden, i plant and wait to pick. No weeding, watering, nothing. If i had to do anything to my garden other than plant and pick, i'd probably not do it..lol........the real work comes when preserving everything and i dont want everything being a bunch of work. Been canning potatoes and cutting up onions today..now if i could come up with some way to preserve lettuce..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

lynnmcmahan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby lynnmcmahan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:51 pm

M5farm wrote:Dry land corn is spaced because the field has to be worked. 80 ears would just pisz me off. We put up 250 to 300 a year .the ears average 10 to 12" long and about 3" radius

WOW, now that is an ear of corn. I could use that for firewood, foot long half foot in diameter. What might that variety be?
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:21 pm

I had steak for dinner four days last week.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Interesting salad would have to lose the blue cheese but other than that sounds decent. Don't know if I could eat it every day I am the type who very rarely eats the same thing in the same week unless I get a craving for something.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:02 pm

First storage onions....
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:11 pm

I was making our big salad today and my phone was right there...So took a picture. Mine is on the right, husbands on left. See, i give him more tuna..These look small in the picture, but the bowls are big. I use the green spray bottle to spray balsamic vinegar on it instead of using a dressing. I want to keep my husband as healthy as i can..Luckily, he loves his big salad..We've been married 34 years and almost every year we've eaten lunch together. I'm a big Y&R fan, so we watch that together too. Although, he wont admit he likes watching it...but he does.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:34 pm

Nice thinking there how about some bunch onions a bed of them just keeps expanding. http://www.southernexposure.com/deep-pu ... p-374.html
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:41 am

I actually have some bunch onions. I've made this garden troll i call onion head because his hair is bunch onions. Couldnt find it, so i'll take another when i get a chance. Onion head is pretty cool.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”