How to grow onions

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: How to grow onions

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Picking this many onions daily since i posted this thread. I've also been giving some away. I have 3 months worth stored already and as you can see, i still have tons left to pick.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Tue May 13, 2014 3:54 pm

I like those tomato cages
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:14 pm

Craig Miller wrote:I like those tomato cages

during the drought we used cattle panels to fence off places for the cows to graze. So we were left with lots of panels. I got a few of the damaged ones and cut them into sections. I put them about a foot apart and tied them to T post. It's worked out well. I have several areas where i use them like this. They will not fall over or sag. If you decide to try this, be sure to cut off the points, i've almost put an eye out a couple times bending over into them to pick tomatoes. :cry2:
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Tue May 13, 2014 4:18 pm

I think ill try it. Ill need more cages anyway and no matter how good they are they will fall in a good storm like we typically get
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Fri May 16, 2014 1:57 pm

Craig, we use the old pieces of cattle panels also. Can run all kinds of vines and beans up them, plus curve them into a circle around your tomato plants also. They work super well! :D
Cowgirl, I think you have shared some great ideas for those looking to make more space in their garden plots. Thanks!
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Fri May 16, 2014 2:07 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:I always have to giggle a little when i see someones garden all rowed up like a farmers field and a single row crop running down the row.

You giggle because someone has rows in their garden??? :dunce: I think you need to get out more. Weren't you just the one getting all be nice cause we told you we wouldn't feed crap? How the tables have turned now you want to laugh cause some of us believe in making rows. I think making rows in a garden is a little more normal than feeding another animal chicken crap. You filled in a pool turned it into a garden you overcrowd your onions big whoop im sorry but you don't have a patent on doing that it happens all the time. I am like jed tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but not interested anymore i got another to add to the foes list :tiphat: :wave:

I know Sky can't see this because I am also "on his Foe list." But why bother to tell anyone that you are adding them to your list? In his own words, "big woop"! :tiphat:
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:12 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:I always have to giggle a little when i see someones garden all rowed up like a farmers field and a single row crop running down the row.

You giggle because someone has rows in their garden??? :dunce: I think you need to get out more. Weren't you just the one getting all be nice cause we told you we wouldn't feed crap? How the tables have turned now you want to laugh cause some of us believe in making rows. I think making rows in a garden is a little more normal than feeding another animal chicken crap. You filled in a pool turned it into a garden you overcrowd your onions big whoop im sorry but you don't have a patent on doing that it happens all the time. I am like jed tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but not interested anymore i got another to add to the foes list :tiphat: :wave:

I know Sky can't see this because I am also "on his Foe list." But why bother to tell anyone that you are adding them to your list? In his own words, "big woop"! :tiphat:

Makes me giggle a little.... :pretty:
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri May 16, 2014 3:57 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:

Craig, we use the old pieces of cattle panels also. Can run all kinds of vines and beans up them, plus curve them into a circle around your tomato plants also. They work super well! :D
Cowgirl, I think you have shared some great ideas for those looking to make more space in their garden plots. Thanks!

I just saw this. Food for thought for sure. We planted in a new spot this year so we didnt plant like normal. Only tomatoes potatoes. Bell peppers. Onion. Lettuce. I have been talking about gardening year round for a couple years now and i think this is the year we will do it.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:46 pm

What i picked today. Getting that many strawberries every day the past couple weeks. I'm cutting them up and freezing them for canning later on when they are through producing. Getting around that many onions a day, cutting and freezing. Started picking the carrots and havent even made a dent in them. They are the best tasting carrots i've ever eaten.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:57 am

Onion harvest winding down. i'm to the point that the rest i'll grow out big. Well over 100 left to pick. Havent posted every harvest, but i've been getting this amount approximately every other day. I have 10 gallon bags of chopped onions frozen in my freezer..More than enough to last me a year. I'll have around 100 baseball sized onions for storage and even so i still have a lot of selecting left. All in a space of 4x10..... Anyone good at math can add up the suggest spacing in outdated planting guides and planted in a raised row like i see many do. If anyone would do the math, please post it here as to how long of a row i'd need if planting the old fashion way..........I planted over 800 in this space that is approximately the same space of a 10 ft row done by a tractor...oh, and i had no weeding. Planted and picked...
0 x

Limomike
GURU
GURU

Postby Limomike » Fri May 23, 2014 9:02 am

Nice harvest...
I see you have an automatic weeder and fertilizer... meow. :lol:
0 x
** All good things take time ***

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:09 am

Limomike wrote:Nice harvest...
I see you have an automatic weeder and fertilizer... meow. :lol:

Noodle is a hoot.........actually, my garden has so many earthworms, any time the cats do use it, the mess is gone in hours.. The cats do keep my stupid mockingbird out, that bird can destroy tomatoes like nobodies business. It wouldnt be so bad if he'd stick to one tomato, but he's gotta taste every one.. :mad: Having the dogs kept in the yard, thus, they keeping the cats in the garden has made mockingbird damage a thing of the past.
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Fri May 23, 2014 9:15 am

What variety are those carrots?
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:21 am

Kingfisher wrote:What variety are those carrots?

The carrots are the best tasting i've ever grown.... Lilly Miller Long Imperator.....Atwoods put them on sale last fall and i bought ever pack they had for 10 cents each...really glad i did. Would love to learn to collect my own seeds, but i've never had a carrot go to seed. If anyone knows how i'd love to hear...
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:04 am

Still getting onions. Started pulling up any that the stalks are starting to shrivel. I have many left still growing and will have a lot of nice onions to store. Got way more for cooking than i'll probably use. Canned up some potatoes i dug up along with some small whole onions and smoked ham. I plan to cook a breakfast hash with it.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”