growing carrots

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

growing carrots

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:54 am

We eat 2 carrots every day for lunch. I've learned that if i plant a 4x10 plot of carrots and crowd them, we'll have fresh carrots for a year. It will also give me carrots to can. I like to keep around 20 jars of canned carrots for stews.
Here i planted 6 small seed packs i bought at Atwoods when they put them on sale this winter for 9 cents each. Packing them in this space does 2 things. One, you'll have continuous carrots, pull one up, the guy next to him fills in his space. So, they arent ready all at once. And two, they shade out weeds so no weeding once they fill the space in.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: growing carrots

Postby Jogeephus » Sun May 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Looks nice. Haven't tried broadcasting them. I plant mine in rows. Still get the crowding effect in the rows too. Might try your method though.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:43 pm

This is my first picking of carrots. Could have picked more, but this is all i wanted to deal with today. I'm going to have so many carrots :o
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:48 pm

Second picking and not even seeing a dent in the thickness..
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:05 pm

I think its time to try dehydrating the carrots...Getting way more than we'll ever eat. Been canning like crazy
0 x

Return to “Gardening”