Strawberries

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Strawberries

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:41 am

This is my kids strawberry " patch " . I was wondering how many more plants should I put in that space and do yall think I should place mulch around the plants to keep the grass and weeds under control ? I never grew strawberries before so I want their strawberries to be successful they have already got some off to eat. I will be going out and getting more plants tomorrow. I have 2 grape vines planted at the end and will put some fencing for the vines to grow over top the strawberries.

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Limomike
GURU
GURU

Re: Strawberries

Postby Limomike » Fri May 09, 2014 10:18 am

We have a strawberry bed, about 10x10' and I have a border of railroad timbers around it to keep the weeds out. Those plants will put out runners, and spread out, but I would plant a few more plants just in case a few of them die off. Mulching is good, I use straw for that. In the winter I put the straw over the top of the plants so they dont freeze out. Then in February, we fertilize them.
0 x
** All good things take time ***

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:23 am

Limomike wrote:We have a strawberry bed, about 10x10' and I have a border of railroad timbers around it to keep the weeds out. Those plants will put out runners, and spread out, but I would plant a few more plants just in case a few of them die off. Mulching is good, I use straw for that. In the winter I put the straw over the top of the plants so they dont freeze out. Then in February, we fertilize them.

Thank you I was going to put landscape timbers around them after mulching them. Does stray successfully keep the grass and weeds under control? Is mulch better? I will go buy maybe 10 more plants or so . Is there a certain fertilizer you use? I was going to use heavy plastic on top of the timbers so frost and snow cant get to them.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Limomike
GURU
GURU

Postby Limomike » Fri May 09, 2014 10:37 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
Limomike wrote:We have a strawberry bed, about 10x10' and I have a border of railroad timbers around it to keep the weeds out. Those plants will put out runners, and spread out, but I would plant a few more plants just in case a few of them die off. Mulching is good, I use straw for that. In the winter I put the straw over the top of the plants so they dont freeze out. Then in February, we fertilize them.

Thank you I was going to put landscape timbers around them after mulching them. Does stray successfully keep the grass and weeds under control? Is mulch better? I will go buy maybe 10 more plants or so . Is there a certain fertilizer you use? I was going to use heavy plastic on top of the timbers so frost and snow cant get to them.

I think mulch is better than spray. But I do use spray around the edges to keep grass from growing in on them. I use 10-10-10 fertilizer, or sometimes just a little bit of dried cow manure around them. But it has to be done in February.
0 x
** All good things take time ***

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:03 am

Limomike wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I think mulch is better than spray. But I do use spray around the edges to keep grass from growing in on them. I use 10-10-10 fertilizer, or sometimes just a little bit of dried cow manure around them. But it has to be done in February.

Thanks I will mulch this weekend after planting more plants. I greatly appreciate your help.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat May 10, 2014 8:15 am

When he says they will put out runners, he means they will spread like wildfire and each runner will send down roots. You can divide these later in the year--making 2-3-4X as many producing plants. I've had them send runners even out and over the cross ties and start growing out into the yard. Better also get some bird netting as soon as the blooms appear.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:42 am

greybeard wrote:When he says they will put out runners, he means they will spread like wildfire and each runner will send down roots. You can divide these later in the year--making 2-3-4X as many producing plants. I've had them send runners even out and over the cross ties and start growing out into the yard. Better also get some bird netting as soon as the blooms appear.

Oh OK I bought 8 more plants today lol hope it wasn't a mistake
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Sat May 10, 2014 10:20 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Oh OK I bought 8 more plants today lol hope it wasn't a mistake

It will be a mistake if you don't plant them in rows :P
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sat May 10, 2014 11:26 am

alisonb wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Oh OK I bought 8 more plants today lol hope it wasn't a mistake

Seems I remember Mom and Dad making sure the runners were picked off during the time they were flowering and making fruit and also later to keep them contained in their .....rows.....
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Sat May 10, 2014 5:29 pm

1982vett wrote:
alisonb wrote:

Seems I remember Mom and Dad making sure the runners were picked off during the time they were flowering and making fruit and also later to keep them contained in their .....rows.....

That's what is recommended, supposedly they make more fruit if they can't put all the energy into runners.
I've never been able to keep up with the runners. Was going to pull them off this year but they just went crazy, now harvesting them to extend the strawberry patch into two more raised plots.

I bought one plant that has pink flowers around twelve years ago. I have no idea if I still have the original plant or not... it's travelled to about seven farms since then, each time I move, and there's thirty or forty of them out there.
Bird netting is essential. I finally bit the bullet and put in a fruit cage when I moved here, next time I'll build a better one (five 8' posts wrapped with bird netting, the plot is about 12 foot each side, nowhere near big enough).
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:56 pm

rained before I could plant and still raining so I will plant them tomorrow I will put down some straw then some mulch.
0 x

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redcowsrule33 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:45 am

The growers around here pick off the flowers the year they are planted to get stronger plants and more berries subsequent years.
0 x
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun May 11, 2014 7:54 am

redcowsrule33 wrote:The growers around here pick off the flowers the year they are planted to get stronger plants and more berries subsequent years.

Yeah. We also plant them in the fall here and winter them so in the spring they will have strong plants ready to spread. Its a chore though.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Return to “Gardening”