yellow squash problems

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

yellow squash problems

Postby greybeard » Sat May 10, 2014 9:31 am

Last year and again this year, on both straight and crookneck squash, I'm seeing the fruit start to make, get about 2-3" long, then turn dark yellow and hard as a rock. Watered daily, fertilized with 12-0-12 when plants were about 2-3 weeks growth. (soil sample result comments said not to add any phosphorus for 5 years.) The plants themselves look healthy, tho a bit smallish.
Very very sandy soil.
I'm thinking maybe a pollination problem, but the 3 years before last year, I had so much squash I couldn't give it all away--used the same seeds brand and variety.
Any suggestions?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: yellow squash problems

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:39 am

GB are you planting it in same spot each year?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Sat May 10, 2014 10:09 am

Must say it does sound rather like a pollination problem...
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sat May 10, 2014 10:19 am

Sounds like they're not uptaking the phosphorus even though the soil contains sufficient levels.
I would try adding calcium to improve the uptake of the phosphorus. I use oyster shell or bone meal because I always have them around.
The bone meal will increase phosphorus however.

Are you growing any other cucurbits, or anything else for that matter, that is/are exhibiting similar signs of phosphorus or calcium deficiency? Your sandy soil could be causing some problems with nutrient availability as well. Add denser organic material whenever you can.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 am

Fungal problem perhaps? we used to grow 2 acres of it, and we didn't give it away either!.. Cows ate the seconds though.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat May 10, 2014 11:28 am

skyhightree1 wrote:GB are you planting it in same spot each year?

Not my garden, this is the one I tilled up and planted for my brother-in-law after his heart surgery earlier in the year.

Soil was left fallow after last year's spring/summer garden and was mowed down every other week till the 1st frost. Added uneaten hay and composted cow manure after tilling, then tilled it in again.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:52 pm

greybeard wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:GB are you planting it in same spot each year?

Not my garden, this is the one I tilled up and planted for my brother-in-law after his heart surgery earlier in the year.

Soil was left fallow after last year's spring/summer garden and was mowed down every other week till the 1st frost. Added uneaten hay and composted cow manure after tilling, then tilled it in again.

I had that happen not at the beginning stages but mid to end stages of growth I had planted it same spot few years in a row. I moved them and so far every year after moving they are good.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Sat May 10, 2014 9:37 pm

I've had similar problems with springtime plantings. I now plant my yellow squash around the first week of August. Another benefit I have noticed is no squash bugs with the late summer/fall batch. Zuchinni does fine but I haven't figured out what the problem is with yellow. All I know is same seed, same soil, same care and etc; I have the same problem you are having with a spring plant and not with a late plant. Makes no sense to me. Only my observation
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

Return to “Gardening”