reuse potting soil

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

reuse potting soil

Postby millstreaminn » Thu May 15, 2014 10:59 am

I grow quite a few containers of various annuals (hibiscus and roses) what I was wondering if you could keep the soil from one year to the next? I've always repotted with new soil every year but maybe I don't have to? Obviously I would give it a good dose of slow release fertilizer reusing it, but is there any reason to pitch it and start with new?

Thanks
0 x
It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Re: reuse potting soil

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu May 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Well, when my mom was alive she had quite "the green thumb." She wanted to grow some "starts" for each of us girls off of one of her favorite house plants. She reused some potting soil. After several weeks, she proudly presented my sisters and I with some beautiful Marijuana plants! :shock: :lol:
She was proud too! (Obviously, she had no idea what it was, just thought it was pretty!) Mom had used soil that my dad had found and threw out for a reason!
How did it get Marijuana seeds in it you ask? One of my high school friends had "a plant" in my room. Dad found it, end of story! :oops:
Which is actually quite funny, because I had never even smoked it before in my life! :dunce:

So, I guess the answer to your question is.......Yes you can reuse potting soil as long as you fortify it well. Mom did! :D
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu May 15, 2014 2:06 pm

:lol: sure you didn't.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu May 15, 2014 2:19 pm

M5farm wrote::lol: sure you didn't.

Swear! I was the one in high school that tried to take care of everyone when they were messed up. I was afraid of drugs! :hide:
Needless to say, I was not very popular. ;-)
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

Return to “Gardening”