Feedlot scrapings around my peppers?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
shaz
GURU
GURU

Feedlot scrapings around my peppers?

Postby shaz » Sat May 17, 2014 12:08 pm

Was thinking about scraping the drylot and using some of the stuff around my tomatoes, bell peppers and jalapenos.

Any reason I shouldn't?
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

CottageFarm
-

Re: Feedlot scrapings around my peppers?

Postby CottageFarm » Sat May 17, 2014 12:16 pm

Two things come immediately to mind.
Not saying don't do it, just something to take into consideration since I figured that what you're asking.

1. If it hasn't composted sufficiently you could be introducing pathogens to you garden that could cause illness.

2. If it's still pretty fresh manure, it can burn your plants. You can make a manure "tea" to dilute that strength.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:50 pm

I use it all the time. Use it in moderation and you'll be find.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

Postby torogmc81 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:04 pm

I'd be using 2014 manure on 2015 garden, like cottage said, you can burn it up real easy. Make a stockpile in layers ending with soil on top of your last layer of manure. Cook for 300 days at 95 degrees F
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:14 am

Manure isnt that hot. If you ever note pastures, manure doesnt leave a dead spot in your grass...It may, but only because its thick and smothers the area its in. But if you get enough rain, pastures low on nitrogen will be dotted with big green blobs of grass where manure was dropped. Again, if you dont overdo it, same year manure is ok. I'll either bury it under where i'm planting or i'll mix it in. Fresh cow manure is hard to work with because its goopy so something that has been piled and setting is best. My husband cleans our corrals and piles a mountain of manure mixed with some hay for me to use. After its set most of the summer, i will use it straight in pots.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon May 19, 2014 8:59 am

Big difference in green manure and composted or stockpiled manure. Green manure can burn your garden up especially if it has a lot of liquid or urine in it. Does make for some pretty sweetcorn though but will kill things like peas and beans that don't need much nitrogen. If its aged, I wouldn't worry a bit about it. Green can bring in weed seeds. Composted will have very little.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:43 am

I brought a truck bed full of composted manure from the farm into town when I started my new garden this spring. This is stuff that has been piled up and composted at least 1 or 2 years. The existing soil was pretty decent but like anything in newer built developments they don't always use the best topsoil when finishing out the grade on the lots. The 1 biggest drawback I'm seeing right now but can easily be handled is I am getting a lot of weeds coming up but my seeds and transplanted plants are coming up very healthy looking. I'm sure tilling in the compost kicked up some dormant weed seeds and the rich nitrogen is helping feed that. Going to cultivate and use my lawn clippings as mulch where I don't have plants to act as a weed barrier. Did that at my last place and worked great plus it will compost down over time and I would till it into the soil in the fall and would make for some great soil in the spring again.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:20 pm

Weeds are a big problem with manure. Sometimes you get some really pesky ones too.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:51 pm

Green manure is not good for many reasons. First being the high urine content is rich in ammonia and can burn young plants. Second is the high content of weed seeds. Third is as the manure is breaking down the manure is using up Nitrogen. Yes, people spread fresh manure over pastures all the time, but they are spreading it out of a large area. Can it be used, yes. Highly suggest using it in moderation or even better, just make a pile and then use it the following year.

If the scrapings have alot of hay, hay takes forever to break down and will also consume nutrients as it breaks down.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

Return to “Gardening”