What should I do with these?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: What should I do with these?

Postby greybeard » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:07 am

Here's what you shulda done with them:

CANDIED JALAPENOS
8 lbs fresh jalapeno peppers sliced
2-3 lbs onion, diced bite size chunks
1 cup vinegar
1 cup water
12 to 16 cups sugar
4 tablespoons turmeric
3 teaspoons celery seed (optional)
1 teaspoon mustard seed (optional)
2 Tablespoon garlic powder
1-1/2 teaspoon ginger

Slice Jalapenos into thin slices and dice the onions.
( I suggest wearing rubber gloves while handling the jalapenos and DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE!) (I also omit the onions sometimes)
If you are a pansy, remove the seeds and membranes from the peppers before slicing--this takes most of the heat out. (defeats the purpose IMO)

Place jalapenos in pan with the water and vinegar.It doesn't take a whole lot of vinegar/water, because the peppers will make a LOT of water on their own.(You can add other ingredients to the mixture, such as baby corn, sliced okra, sliced carrots etc if you wish) Bring the mixture to a boil then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until tender (about 10-20 minutes.) Remove the lid from the pan carefully and do not breath fumes. Pour off the water and vinegar. (To me, it is easier to dip out the peppers with a slotted spoon, then pour the water/vinegar down the drain. and return the peppers back to the original pot)

(slowly) Add the sugar and spices, bring to soft candy temperature to completely dissolve the sugar. (this will take some time, and you want to bring the temp up gradually, stirring only occasionally) Use a candy thermometer.

Place boiling mixture into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Put on caps and place rings on loosely.
(Don't use old rings or lids that have any rust or damaged sealing surfaces on them)
(Don't use cold jars--they will likely crack when the hot mixture is poured into them. Jars should be filled while still hot from sterilizing in boiling water)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:41 am

Thanks GB is still have a ton left and still coming. i will do a jar like that. Is that what you do with yours?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:14 am

You've never had any?
Good Lord--you are in for a treat!!
I eat them right out of the jar, on sandwiches instead of pickles, and on hot dogs and everything else.
Yes, we make up about 20 pints every year--more if we intend to give them as gifts.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:24 am

greybeard wrote:You've never had any?
I eat them right out of the jar, on sandwiches instead of pickles, and on hot dogs and everything else.
Yes, we make up about 20 pints every year--more if we intend to give them as gifts.

No sir never had any I am looking forward to trying it. Eating them right out the jar thats pretty wild I doubt I do that but on burgers and dogs and sausage sounds awesome or even mixed in with pinto beans. Yea I love pinto beans lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:33 am

This is the Cowboy Candy recipe that I use. Be sure to wear gloves when slicing the jalapenos. It is easy to make. It really tastes best if you wait 3 or 4 weeks before eating.

http://www.food.com/recipe/candied-jalapeno-or-cowboy-candy-453141
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks chippie i was cutting the jalepenos and habeneros without gloves but i sure did wash my hands with go jo and rubbing alcohol to make sure all the oils were off lol
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:05 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

No sir never had any I am looking forward to trying it. Eating them right out the jar thats pretty wild I doubt I do that but on burgers and dogs and sausage sounds awesome or even mixed in with pinto beans. Yea I love pinto beans lol

I guarantee you will eat them right from the jar--the sweet counters the heat. Still hot, but ya just don't care.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:45 am

greybeard wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I guarantee you will eat them right from the jar--the sweet counters the heat. Still hot, but ya just don't care.

I cant wait.
0 x

Chuckie
GURU
GURU

Postby Chuckie » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 pm

That is what my Grandmother used to do. She would chip them up and put them in bags, and when she needed to cook with them , she would just grab it and go. She always had a nice garden like yours.

Very nice indeed! The only thing that I would have done different, was not to mix the habaneros in the others.
I went to a BBQ place and asked for the hottest sauce they had. Usually hot sauce has no heat. After leaving the joint, riding down the road, I was coughing and my lips and tongue hurt so bad that I could not get any relief. It felt like my lips were swelling up too. Even my teeth were on fire!!! It must have been what pepper spray felt like, and I can eat hot spice food real well. I told my husband to call him back and see if it was a habanero sauce. It was!! :mad: My husband did business with him often but did not go back again after that. He told him what he thought and I had to throw the sandwich out the window. He told us to come get out money back, but that wasn't the point. No one could have tasted the meat, bread or slaw with that mess on it. I couldn't have told you anything about the texture either. :yuck:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:56 pm

Chuckie wrote:That is what my Grandmother used to do. She would chip them up and put them in bags, and when she needed to cook with them , she would just grab it and go. She always had a nice garden like yours.

Very nice indeed! The only thing that I would have done different, was not to mix the habaneros in the others.
I went to a BBQ place and asked for the hottest sauce they had. Usually hot sauce has no heat. After leaving the joint, riding down the road, I was coughing and my lips and tongue hurt so bad that I could not get any relief. It felt like my lips were swelling up too. Even my teeth were on fire!!! It must have been what pepper spray felt like, and I can eat hot spice food real well. I told my husband to call him back and see if it was a habanero sauce. It was!! :mad: My husband did business with him often but did not go back again after that. He told him what he thought and I had to throw the sandwich out the window. He told us to come get out money back, but that wasn't the point. No one could have tasted the meat, bread or slaw with that mess on it. I couldn't have told you anything about the texture either. :yuck:

Thanks about the garden... Hey why were you mad you asked for the hottest sauce they had :lol2: Becareful what you ask for :lol2:
0 x

Chuckie
GURU
GURU

Postby Chuckie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:45 pm

Well Sky, some sauces for the public are so mild that they don't have heat. Most places around here have such a light hotness to it, I wish for a little more heat. But it is unheard of to use habanero peppers only for a BBQ sauce. Some will have a mild, med and hot sauce. I just meant for him to put a little more heat on it.
The heat from a hot sauce is to compliment the meat. My mouth was buring so bad that it felt like I had napalm in my mouth. It was so hot that each little hole that my tooth came from my gums felt like it had a gasoline fire going around the edges.
He should have been a good business man and told him he had some Habanero sauce instead of drowning my sandwich with it.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 am

My cousin came to dinner and told me he wanted something really hot and I did the same lol... He was not happy then I told him hey you said it lol he couldnt argue with me lol sux your mouth and teeth were burning.
0 x

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 am

chippie wrote:This is the Cowboy Candy recipe that I use. Be sure to wear gloves when slicing the jalapenos. It is easy to make. It really tastes best if you wait 3 or 4 weeks before eating.

http://www.food.com/recipe/candied-jalapeno-or-cowboy-candy-453141

I made a batch of these this past weekend. I canned a peck of jalapenos and got 7 pints of finished product. I also had some sugar brine left over so I also did a peck of sweet banana peppers too. The jalapenos are hot, but the sweet cuts it down to a manageable level. Thanks for the recipe!
0 x
It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:41 pm

Coworker gave me a jar of those candied jalapenos the other day... Wow! Are they great! I could sit down and eat half a pint at a setting.
Thanks for posting those recipes!
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:59 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Coworker gave me a jar of those candied jalapenos the other day... Wow! Are they great! I could sit down and eat half a pint at a setting.
Thanks for posting those recipes!

I gotta try these.

Also have to do as my wife says and go see the eye doctor because when I read your post I read, "Cowpoker gave me...." and I was wondering who the heck was Cowpoker. :oops: :lol2: :lol2:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Return to “Gardening”