Got sweet taters?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Re: Got sweet taters?

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:45 am

Stupid question; what do you do with them after their canned? Is it like yams then? I like them like a baked potato, don't think I have had them canned....
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Chuckie
GURU
GURU

Postby Chuckie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:53 am

You can candy them; sweet potato pie, sweet potato casserole.
This is the best website that I have found for cooking, period. People try the recipes, and then people give their opinions on it. When you have 500-2000 people trying the recipe and it ranks really high, it is worth trying.
Here are some of the sweet potato recipes they show....

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/fruits-and-vegetables/vegetables/sweet-potato/
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:55 am

Chuckie wrote:You can candy them; sweet potato pie, sweet potato casserole.
This is the best website that I have found for cooking, period. People try the recipes, and then people give their opinions on it. When you have 500-2000 people trying the recipe and it ranks really high, it is worth trying.
Here are some of the sweet potato recipes they show....

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/fruits-and-vegetables/vegetables/sweet-potato/

Yep sky is the limits :D
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Chuckie
GURU
GURU

Postby Chuckie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:32 pm

No pun intended, right Sky?
0 x

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Poot roots....I like them when they are prepared right. It's easy to mess up. They sure are fun to grow, especially with kids and grand kids. Good job sky. Next year tell us how many jars you still have full :D
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:28 pm

Chuckie wrote:No pun intended, right Sky?

;-)

Ouachita wrote:Poot roots....I like them when they are prepared right. It's easy to mess up. They sure are fun to grow, especially with kids and grand kids. Good job sky. Next year tell us how many jars you still have full :D

lol they will be gone by memorial day im sure. I love those poot roots. They are fun to grow I like them gowing and getting surprises when I did them. Its pretty hard to mess up a sweet potato. However a lot of yall on this bored may not be able to grow them unless you have sandy loam soil or either add sand to your soil and mix it in well.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

BILL CLAYLAND
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BILL CLAYLAND » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:07 am

Looks great Sky! :banana:

I planted 50 slips first time ever this year, i pulled a plant last weekend
and there must have been 3 pounds on a vine!!

We put up a lot of other veggies in the garden but no sweet potato yet, so How do you do it?

I also like the way your curing them, good idea.

Bill
0 x
"Everyone should believe in something, I believe i'll go fishin"

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:48 am

BILL CLAYLAND wrote:Looks great Sky! :banana:

I planted 50 slips first time ever this year, i pulled a plant last weekend
and there must have been 3 pounds on a vine!!

We put up a lot of other veggies in the garden but no sweet potato yet, so How do you do it?

I also like the way your curing them, good idea.

Bill

Thanks Bill
Congrats on yours. I planted over 700 slips lol
What we do is boil the sweet tater about 10 mins or until skin comes off easily run under cool water for a second then go peel them cut in chunks place in a can. Then after can full put about 10 tablespoons of orange juice REAL orange juice in each jar. You will then need to make your syrup that you pour over them and cook for 45 mins in a pressure cooker or canning pot water over the can. The syrp ingredients are water brown sugar enough to make water really sweet this in turn makes the taters also that sweet. Thats what we do. We have been canning more lol

0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Serious poot roots. Pull them into an open building to let them cure.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:54 pm

My wife bakes them and then freezes them.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:15 pm

I love those poot roots lol I never froze them I don't think you get the same freshness with freezing. I think you lose a lot of flavor.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:30 pm

[quote="skyhightree1"]I love those poot roots lol I never froze them I don't think you get the same freshness with freezing. I think you lose a lot of flavor.[/quot

She bakes them and then freezes. Take them out and thaw out and warm cannot tell the difference. When growing up we eat a lot of the sweet potatoes. Baked potatoes were called dooley potatoes. do not ask me why.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:18 pm

hurleyjd wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I love those poot roots lol I never froze them I don't think you get the same freshness with freezing. I think you lose a lot of flavor.[/quot

She bakes them and then freezes. Take them out and thaw out and warm cannot tell the difference. When growing up we eat a lot of the sweet potatoes. Baked potatoes were called dooley potatoes. do not ask me why.

Oh ok that makes sense how long does she keep them in the freezer. I would think after 6 mos you gotta toss them. I ate a lot of them too growing up. I now mostly only like in a pie.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”