Freezing corn on the cob

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Freezing corn on the cob

Postby millstreaminn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:15 am

I have an abundance of sweet corn this year and wanted to try and freeze some on the cob. I've read some people just trim both ends and freeze it right in the husk. No blanching or anything. I did 6 dozen that way last weekend, clipped the ends, vacuum sealed and froze them. I want to do another 12 or so dozen, but would like to hedge my bets in case freezing them in the husks doesn't turn out to well. I am planning to husk, blanch then vacuum seal another batch this weekend- it's more work that way, but unless someone has experience with freezing in the husks, I don't want to get too much put up if it won't be that good. So, has anyone froze corn in the husks? Thanks! ;-)
0 x
It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

CottageFarm
-

Re: Freezing corn on the cob

Postby CottageFarm » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:33 am

I haven't done them in the husk because it won't stop the enzyme action. Last time I did corn I microwave blanched them and was very pleased with the results. 6-8 ears at a time for about 5-6 minutes as I recall. I found it a lot easier than water blanching and didn't heat the house up like steam blanching.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:51 am

I freeze it in the husk. Blanching is a total waste of time, makes no difference. There will be a bit of difference when you cook it when compared to a fresh cob, but there are ways around that. I roast or grill. I like lots of seasoning, cheese, with a little char....yummy. It also helps if you have a deep freeze with no defrost. I also freeze okra, tomato sauces and salsas. I freeze chopped onions for cooking, i store what i think we'll use fresh, i chop the rest and freeze. I've blanched, and not blanched, i cant tell the difference once cooked and there is nothing i know of you freeze and then eat fresh once thawed. Blanching is just too much trouble. I'm on a canning group on FB and most of them no longer blanch.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:04 pm

We had some 2 year old corn last night. It had been blanched and frozen and you couldn't tell it wasn't fresh. I'm a blancher I guess. I just like the taste of corn with butter and salt. Oh, I steam blanch too.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:03 pm

I blanch also. This is an excellent website about preserving food.

Why you blanch: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/blanching.html

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/corn.html
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

LRTX1
GURU
GURU

Postby LRTX1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Don't know about freezing it, but if you cook it in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes in the husk. You can cut the bottom off grab the tassles and give it a little shake so the cob falls out. Zero tassles to deal with.
0 x
Layne

Education is expensive, no matter where you get it.

Education is important but, cold beer is importanter.

Williamsv
GURU
GURU

Postby Williamsv » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:41 pm

I always blanche,too.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:02 am

Cottage Farm, do you wrap the ears of corn in anything when you blanche in the microwave? Thanks for sharing the tip.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:18 am

Jogeephus wrote:We had some 2 year old corn last night. It had been blanched and frozen and you couldn't tell it wasn't fresh. I'm a blancher I guess. I just like the taste of corn with butter and salt. Oh, I steam blanch too.

Same here.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:37 am

chippie wrote:Cottage Farm, do you wrap the ears of corn in anything when you blanche in the microwave? Thanks for sharing the tip.

I did, so sorry I forgot to mention that part. :oops: It was 2 years ago and my memory fails me some days. :help:
I put the ears in a glass pan. Covered them with moist paper towels then covered with plastic wrap. I was basically steaming them in the microwave. I really like this method for greens as well.

MSI, FWIW, the only time I did corn without blanching it 1st, it turned out starchy. It may have just been lousy or old corn where the sugars had started to break down, but it may have also been that the enzymes just kept breaking down sugars even after it was frozen. Since stopping those enzymes is one of the primary reasons to blanche veges, I've not tried any without blanching again.
0 x

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:46 am

CottageFarm wrote:
chippie wrote:Cottage Farm, do you wrap the ears of corn in anything when you blanche in the microwave? Thanks for sharing the tip.

I did, so sorry I forgot to mention that part. :oops: It was 2 years ago and my memory fails me some days. :help:
I put the ears in a glass pan. Covered them with moist paper towels then covered with plastic wrap. I was basically steaming them in the microwave. I really like this method for greens as well.

MSI, FWIW, the only time I did corn without blanching it 1st, it turned out starchy. It may have just been lousy or old corn where the sugars had started to break down, but it may have also been that the enzymes just kept breaking down sugars even after it was frozen. Since stopping those enzymes is one of the primary reasons to blanche veges, I've not tried any without blanching again.

Thanks for the information. I,m gonna put up another 5 or so dozen this weekend. Going to blanch them this time. Doing it both ways will give me something to compare this winter. Thanks for the help!
0 x
It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Postby MO_cows » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:29 pm

I never tried freezing in the husk because, 1) takes up more freezer space, and 2) I don't want to do the work of husking every single time we eat corn. Do it all at once and it's ready to cook coming out of the freezer.

I used to always blanch, but this year I froze a bunch of ears without blanching them first. I used the vacuum sealer and have convinced myself the lack of oxygen will stop the enzyme action. I did blanch the ones I cut off the kernels for freezing.
0 x
It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with the simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
Laura Ingalls Wilder

Sunfish
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Sunfish » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:19 pm

How do you keep it from getting freezer burn ?
I always froze in the husk but that don't always work either
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Vacuum packaging will pretty much eliminate freezer burn on everything
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:07 pm

I blanch here too--in the husk takes up too much room for me, but the microwave thing sounds interesting.

What's a good, but reasonably priced vac sealer to look for?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Gardening”