How many acres of garden?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

How many acres of garden?

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:27 pm

How many acres of gardening do you think it would require to put some $ in your pocket?
I have so many people that want garden fresh veggies that I don't grow enough to give everyone nor sell any. I was wondering if anyone sold veggies and if they did what do you charge for the items you grow. I have never been to a farmers market yet so have no clue what to charge if I did decide to sell stuff.
The stuff I would sell is.
White Potatoes - Yes im racist.
cabbages
broccoli
sweet taters
greens
collard greens
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: How many acres of garden?

Postby Nesikep » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:13 pm

With the greens I have no experience, but I'll say that an acre of carrots, 2 acres of squash, and a half acre of onions is what made it possible for us to be here.

Perhaps going to the farmers market and 'sampling' a few things would give you a baseline.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Depends on what you are doing. I have a friend who raises tomatoes for people. He's a master at it and lives near a big town with lots of city people who want fresh stuff but don't want the hassle. For ten bucks he grows them a tomato plant and keeps them watered and cared for and you get a sign by your plants. He's got a half acre of tomatoes leased out. I think he's doing alright with it.

Personally, I take you more for an okra sort of guy and think you should grow ten acres of okra. Put a pencil to that and you can see a fortune in the scheme. On top of that you are already setup for it. I've read alpacas make wonderful okra bearers in the field so you won't have to tote buckets to the end of your rows so you got the efficiency down pat and all you need is the seed and someone who can plant a straight row for you. Alpacas don't do well on curves.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

LRTX1
GURU
GURU

Postby LRTX1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:23 pm

As a young teen I kept up with a 1/2 acre of okra during the summer. If I could do a 1/2 as a kid I think sky should jump on at least 20 acres. :hide:
0 x
Layne

Education is expensive, no matter where you get it.

Education is important but, cold beer is importanter.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:32 pm

I agree and as a teen I bet you didn't even have an alpaca much less even know what one was. 20 acres is a good round number too.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

LRTX1
GURU
GURU

Postby LRTX1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:24 pm

Alpaca? Still don't know what one is. Seriously, it was good money for a Kid. After dad took seed and fertilizer out, cost of the crate, tractor fuel, his time and expense for management, delivery expense, and rent of the hoe I did alright. By the end of the summer I bought a 20 year old VW for 300 bucks.
0 x
Layne

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Okra is a money maker. 20 acres for 10 years and you could retire. It's much easier to cut if you can get it about 7' tall .
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

trappersteve
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby trappersteve » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:49 pm

There's a guy down the road from me that raises green beans and potatoes and sells at the local farmers market I know he gets $40 a bushel for beans and the same for potatoes if I remember right
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Depends on what you are doing. I have a friend who raises tomatoes for people. He's a master at it and lives near a big town with lots of city people who want fresh stuff but don't want the hassle. For ten bucks he grows them a tomato plant and keeps them watered and cared for and you get a sign by your plants. He's got a half acre of tomatoes leased out. I think he's doing alright with it.

Personally, I take you more for an okra sort of guy and think you should grow ten acres of okra. Put a pencil to that and you can see a fortune in the scheme. On top of that you are already setup for it. I've read alpacas make wonderful okra bearers in the field so you won't have to tote buckets to the end of your rows so you got the efficiency down pat and all you need is the seed and someone who can plant a straight row for you. Alpacas don't do well on curves.

Jo do you want to be my partner :lol2:

LRTX1 wrote:As a young teen I kept up with a 1/2 acre of okra during the summer. If I could do a 1/2 as a kid I think sky should jump on at least 20 acres. :hide:

LOL okra isn't a big seller here He.. to be honest I planted some 3 times this past year it broke ground and died lol

Nesikep wrote:With the greens I have no experience, but I'll say that an acre of carrots, 2 acres of squash, and a half acre of onions is what made it possible for us to be here.

Perhaps going to the farmers market and 'sampling' a few things would give you a baseline.

Yea im gonna go there and see

trappersteve wrote:There's a guy down the road from me that raises green beans and potatoes and sells at the local farmers market I know he gets $40 a bushel for beans and the same for potatoes if I remember right

Thanks Steve
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:42 pm

Last two years I had a acre of snap beans (one year only), acre of purple hulls, acre of sweet corn.
The snap beans are way to hard to pick (take to long). The year we had 3 acres made about 500 a acre after expense, a lot of expense goes to picking. We also only sell wholesale, I want nothing to do with retail.
If you can plant just a little corn every week you can do real good, plant obsession 2. It's BT roundup ready. PH peas make good money too, be the first one to the market and have some for later summer when everyone else's burn up.
I think okra, maybe a little squash, and pumpkins would be good. I've been told pumpkins can net 1,000 an acre.
Sweet potatoes make good too.
Oh yeah I'm racist too, I only like Irish potatoes, not white ones.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:49 pm

jedstivers wrote:Last two years I had a acre of snap beans (one year only), acre of purple hulls, acre of sweet corn.
The snap beans are way to hard to pick (take to long). The year we had 3 acres made about 500 a acre after expense, a lot of expense goes to picking. We also only sell wholesale, I want nothing to do with retail.
If you can plant just a little corn every week you can do real good, plant obsession 2. It's BT roundup ready. PH peas make good money too, be the first one to the market and have some for later summer when everyone else's burn up.
I think okra, maybe a little squash, and pumpkins would be good. I've been told pumpkins can net 1,000 an acre.
Sweet potatoes make good too.
Oh yeah I'm racist too, I only like Irish potatoes, not white ones.

lol Yea I definitely want nothing to do with peas or snap beans or peas too much work. Here I could probably retire early if I had 5 acres of collard greens. Corn I would do.
0 x

LRTX1
GURU
GURU

Postby LRTX1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:52 pm

In all seriousness, like Jed said, peas would be a good choice if you can get someone to pick them. If you go retail on peas, a sheller and vacuum set up would be a must.

Peas make good in less than ideal soil with little water and fertilizer.

Not much to them besides the labor to pick.
0 x
Layne

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:56 pm

LRTX1 wrote:In all seriousness, like Jed said, peas would be a good choice if you can get someone to pick them. If you go retail on peas, a sheller and vacuum set up would be a must.

Peas make good in less than ideal soil with little water and fertilizer.

Not much to them besides the labor to pick.

I agree but have no clue who I could get to pick them and be able to get them all before they got too hard.
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Sky my big seller these days are the Yukon gold potatoes. The tree huggers really like the purple ones too. Just put a sign on them saying they are more nutritious and double the price.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:42 am

It seems like some of you think all potatoes are the same, we grow russets, Yukon Gold, and a red called Rideaux, ruby skin with white flesh. Each has it's own strong points, the Russet makes the best french fries, the YG is the best steamed, and the Rideaux is by FAR the best fried

I'll give you some numbers for what we were selling for, certified organic, back in the mid 90's, price direct to the store (no wholesaler, but we didn't retail either). Carrots were about $.70, Squash was about $.60-.90 depending on type, and onions were about $1.25. Around here the bottom has kinda fallen out of the carrot market, but we grew about 60,000 lbs per acre... it was a LOT of weeding, and I did all the washing, my parents and 1 hired hand did the packing... it took about 8 weeks of darned hard work. I figured during the harvest season I lifted about 30,000 lbs a day.. I still feel it 15 years later!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Gardening”