How many acres of garden?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: How many acres of garden?

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:16 am

3waycross wrote:Sky my big seller these days are the Yukon gold potatoes. The tree huggers really like the purple ones too. Just put a sign on them saying they are more nutritious and double the price.

Good Idea :D

Nesikep wrote:It seems like some of you think all potatoes are the same, we grow russets, Yukon Gold, and a red called Rideaux, ruby skin with white flesh. Each has it's own strong points, the Russet makes the best french fries, the YG is the best steamed, and the Rideaux is by FAR the best fried

I'll give you some numbers for what we were selling for, certified organic, back in the mid 90's, price direct to the store (no wholesaler, but we didn't retail either). Carrots were about $.70, Squash was about $.60-.90 depending on type, and onions were about $1.25. Around here the bottom has kinda fallen out of the carrot market, but we grew about 60,000 lbs per acre... it was a LOT of weeding, and I did all the washing, my parents and 1 hired hand did the packing... it took about 8 weeks of darned hard work. I figured during the harvest season I lifted about 30,000 lbs a day.. I still feel it 15 years later!

Thanks Nesi the only thing people want to know here is did you use chemicals on the veggies lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

tater74
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tater74 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:24 am

Never, ever plant a garden bigger than your wife will weed:D
0 x
Nobody gets something for nothing unless somebody got nothing for something

"the cows are where your at,the bull is the direction your going...." ALACOWMAN

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:31 am

tater74 wrote:Never, ever plant a garden bigger than your wife will weed:D

lol My motto is dont plant a garden bigger than my cultivator will weed :lol2:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:56 pm

http://www.dinwiddieva.us/index.aspx?nid=1022 I found a close local market but doesnt last past octobler which is weird. The richmond city one someone told me lasts all year so whatever people I know didnt buy could offload there.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:03 pm

Big gardens and truck farmers always have a field full of mexicans.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:04 am

Here you go Sky. This is about $50 worth of okra taken off one row I cut this morning. The row needs cutting every other day. With a 90 day cutting period this gives you 45 cuttings yielding you a tidy profit of $2250 per row. So all you need to do is plant 444 rows of okra about 100 yards long and you should be able to fit this on about 3 acres. By next fall you will have one million dollars. That is equivalent to making $22, 222 for each day you cut okra. Now if you are thrifty and have any kind of work ethic about you AND with the help of the alpacas, 18 acres shouldn't be a problem. This would mean you would make $133,332 each time you stepped in the field to harvest your green gold and by next fall you will have $6 million! ;-)

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:08 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:How many acres of gardening do you think it would require to put some $ in your pocket?
I have so many people that want garden fresh veggies that I don't grow enough to give everyone nor sell any. I was wondering if anyone sold veggies and if they did what do you charge for the items you grow. I have never been to a farmers market yet so have no clue what to charge if I did decide to sell stuff.
The stuff I would sell is.
White Potatoes - Yes im racist.
cabbages
broccoli
sweet taters
greens
collard greens

Sky, I did pretty well with somewhere around 2-3 acres (more than one area, never measured it all)
I would actually recommend not doing the cabbage, broccoli or greens for sale. If you just have some extras take em', but don't plant with the intent to sell. Cabbage & broccoli take up a lot of room (and time) for fairly minimal returns. Greens require extra handling in the form of cleaning that can get you the attention of the health department, plus they wilt easily so you have to keep them more temp controlled.

Potatoes, absolutely! Like 3 way mentioned, the Yukon gold and purple will bring premium prices, especially if you have new potatoes and/or fingerlings.

I would also highly suggest any of these: corn, tomatoes, peppers, cuc's, summer squash
Winter squash (spaghetti, butternut & novelty - I always skipped acorn. Everybody has 'em and they're not the most desirable variety)
Pumpkins if you have room. Stick with the smaller pie to medium size. Look at some of the novelty varieties. Skip the monsters, they're too much work & space for too little return. That said, one monster in front of your booth will make you stand out in a crowd.

I usually priced comparable to local grocery store, in season (not sale) prices.
I sold on-farm two days a week.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Here you go Sky. This is about $50 worth of okra taken off one row I cut this morning. The row needs cutting every other day. With a 90 day cutting period this gives you 45 cuttings yielding you a tidy profit of $2250 per row. So all you need to do is plant 444 rows of okra about 100 yards long and you should be able to fit this on about 3 acres. By next fall you will have one million dollars. That is equivalent to making $22, 222 for each day you cut okra. Now if you are thrifty and have any kind of work ethic about you AND with the help of the alpacas, 18 acres shouldn't be a problem. This would mean you would make $133,332 each time you stepped in the field to harvest your green gold and by next fall you will have $6 million! ;-)

I'd rather have those pears, Jo!
I just used my last jar of pear sauce, so I'm fixin' to make another batch soon!
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Here you go Sky. This is about $50 worth of okra taken off one row I cut this morning. The row needs cutting every other day. With a 90 day cutting period this gives you 45 cuttings yielding you a tidy profit of $2250 per row. So all you need to do is plant 444 rows of okra about 100 yards long and you should be able to fit this on about 3 acres. By next fall you will have one million dollars. That is equivalent to making $22, 222 for each day you cut okra. Now if you are thrifty and have any kind of work ethic about you AND with the help of the alpacas, 18 acres shouldn't be a problem. This would mean you would make $133,332 each time you stepped in the field to harvest your green gold and by next fall you will have $6 million! ;-)

Thank you so much for putting me on the path for early retirement. I appreciate that so much. Will you be coming up to help with the harvesting and get your cut? :D

CottageFarm wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:How many acres of gardening do you think it would require to put some $ in your pocket?
I have so many people that want garden fresh veggies that I don't grow enough to give everyone nor sell any. I was wondering if anyone sold veggies and if they did what do you charge for the items you grow. I have never been to a farmers market yet so have no clue what to charge if I did decide to sell stuff.
The stuff I would sell is.
White Potatoes - Yes im racist.
cabbages
broccoli
sweet taters
greens
collard greens

Sky, I did pretty well with somewhere around 2-3 acres (more than one area, never measured it all)
I would actually recommend not doing the cabbage, broccoli or greens for sale. If you just have some extras take em', but don't plant with the intent to sell. Cabbage & broccoli take up a lot of room (and time) for fairly minimal returns. Greens require extra handling in the form of cleaning that can get you the attention of the health department, plus they wilt easily so you have to keep them more temp controlled.

Potatoes, absolutely! Like 3 way mentioned, the Yukon gold and purple will bring premium prices, especially if you have new potatoes and/or fingerlings.

I would also highly suggest any of these: corn, tomatoes, peppers, cuc's, summer squash
Winter squash (spaghetti, butternut & novelty - I always skipped acorn. Everybody has 'em and they're not the most desirable variety)
Pumpkins if you have room. Stick with the smaller pie to medium size. Look at some of the novelty varieties. Skip the monsters, they're too much work & space for too little return. That said, one monster in front of your booth will make you stand out in a crowd.

I usually priced comparable to local grocery store, in season (not sale) prices.
I sold on-farm two days a week.

The reason I picked what I would like to sell is cause that's what most everyone asks me for. My wifes patients want fresh veggies and so do the staff. There are some farmers here that have the corn mater and peppers on lock down I cant compete with them. Squash and cucs yea that's a good idea. I truly do not want it to be a big time consuming thing I feel as though I can move the stuff from my wifes people probably without taking any to farmers market.
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:38 pm

If your serious check around for a produce buyer. My neighbor did 1acre of.squash this year and hauled it all to Georgia and sold it to a buyer. He did pretty good. He just replanted 2 weeks ago for a fall crop .
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:42 pm

Yes sir I am serious. Good idea
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Sky, I would help you but I detest paying taxes so I don't want the income. But look at the numbers and consider doing it on a smaller scale and you might see the logic. Okra is something everyone wants but most don't like messing with. It has a long harvest period which keeps you out of the feast and famine many producers have to deal with. Man down the road me is retired and has six rows. He cuts it every day and has sells all he can grow and has to turn away many people who want to buy from him. On his six rows I figure he is making a $100 a day easy. Stretch that out over 90 days and that's not a bad income for a tiny plot of land next to your house.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Sky, I would help you but I detest paying taxes so I don't want the income. But look at the numbers and consider doing it on a smaller scale and you might see the logic. Okra is something everyone wants but most don't like messing with. It has a long harvest period which keeps you out of the feast and famine many producers have to deal with. Man down the road me is retired and has six rows. He cuts it every day and has sells all he can grow and has to turn away many people who want to buy from him. On his six rows I figure he is making a $100 a day easy. Stretch that out over 90 days and that's not a bad income for a tiny plot of land next to your house.

Jo, That is a good point and yes that's a good amount daily on 6 rows. I tried to grow some this year 3 times I planted it died soon as it got to the surface so I guess I need to practice lol
0 x

SJB
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SJB » Mon May 18, 2015 9:13 pm

Kennebek potatoes sell good here.

Zucchini and squash are the easiest things to grow. I'm gonna sell jalapeños, serranos and Anaheim peppers. they grow easy. They grow easy, produce like crazy and if you don't sell them green you can dry them and sell them that way. People love to cook Mexican food at home, and peppers are expensive in grocery stores.
0 x
"Reading is easy, doing is hard." - HDRider

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 19, 2015 3:55 am

SJB wrote:Kennebek potatoes sell good here.

Zucchini and squash are the easiest things to grow. I'm gonna sell jalapeños, serranos and Anaheim peppers. they grow easy. They grow easy, produce like crazy and if you don't sell them green you can dry them and sell them that way. People love to cook Mexican food at home, and peppers are expensive in grocery stores.

Ever seen those roasting baskets used for peppers?
0 x

Return to “Gardening”