How many acres of garden?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
SJB
Rancher
Rancher

Re: How many acres of garden?

Postby SJB » Tue May 19, 2015 2:09 pm

no, but i see big ol nets full of them hanging on the mexican families porches here. they dry them in the sun, then when they cook with them they'll reconstitute them a little bit.
0 x
"Reading is easy, doing is hard." - HDRider

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue May 19, 2015 2:58 pm

Jo,
It might be too cold in Sky country for okra.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:01 pm

HDRider wrote:Jo,

I planted some we will see :lol2: just a partial row. One year I had to plant it numerous times before it actually grew.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed May 20, 2015 9:06 am

skyhightree1 wrote:

I planted some we will see :lol2: just a partial row. One year I had to plant it numerous times before it actually grew.

Just my opinion but it seems like your ground wouldnt be warm enough until now for it to do well. Ill be planting mine this week. It needs the warmer drier weather to do good.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:09 am

Craig Miller wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Just my opinion but it seems like your ground wouldnt be warm enough until now for it to do well. Ill be planting mine this week. It needs the warmer drier weather to do good.

I think you may be right because I planted some a week ago and I thought I saw some peaking out. I will check it later and see.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:00 pm

craig the okra is coming up

0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed May 20, 2015 10:40 pm

Hope you got at least 50 acres.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:43 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Hope you got at least 50 acres.

:lol2: nope just 50 seeds
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed May 20, 2015 11:13 pm

That'll keep you busy enough I guess. 50 acres would be better.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Thu May 21, 2015 8:29 pm

Tip on Okra, plant on a 48" to 60" spacing. This will give you a shorter plant, but have equal production as a 12"-18" spacing. Okra planted close will grow tall and you will have to bend the plants over to pick.

Pick when they are young which is when they are tender. Don't bother at all with Okra that is hard. If you have to squeeze to push the knife through when cutting them to cook, they are to tough. Do you know what kind you planted? Some start to get hard around 4" long and some start around 6" long.

Make sure you pick some that are about 2" long to boil. Put a pot of water on the stove and boil them for 4-5 hours. Yes, that long. Once boiled, put on a plate and splash some white vinegar on them along with some salt. Bite at the stem and enjoy. Other than smothered okra, boiled okra is my favorite.

Oh, if you happen to be allergic to Hibiscus plants, then don't play around Okra. Okra is a hibiscus plant.

Speaking of, if anyone needs any Okra seeds, I have a #2 tub that is about half full of Okra seeds. Free for the taking. The are the Cowhorn variety.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:12 pm

I want to say Clemson or something like that... Thanks for the tips I only grew it one time before and its good just finicky to grow.
0 x

CaddoFarms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby CaddoFarms » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:56 pm

Ive got 20 acres of good crop land, been planning on just running a couple cows but after talking to some family i have been thinking more about using the land for peppers. My brother in law grew some in a small area and did very well on them. He sold them to a store that another family member has a connection with, she said i could sell to them as well. Ive decided to do a test plot and my brother said hed be more than happy to help me get started. After reading this thread about the okra has got my brain wondering. I will have to further educate myself about okra.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:00 am

What kind of peppers were you considering raising?
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:03 pm

Looking good bud. Ill have to wait till i get back home to see if the deer ate all mine. Got ten days left here at work. When i cut okra i have to wear long sleeves. It itches me bad.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:41 pm

Craig Miller wrote:Looking good bud. Ill have to wait till i get back home to see if the deer ate all mine. Got ten days left here at work. When i cut okra i have to wear long sleeves. It itches me bad.

That's one of the problems with okra. Doesn't bother me thankfully but I know some people it will work on. I was once told a trick to make it stop itching you but I forgot what it was.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”