How many acres of garden?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: How many acres of garden?

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:20 am

Craig Miller wrote:Looking good bud. Ill have to wait till i get back home to see if the deer ate all mine. Got ten days left here at work. When i cut okra i have to wear long sleeves. It itches me bad.

Thanks... The okra I managed to have grow couple years ago was only like 3 feet tall and I don't recall itching or anything.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

CaddoFarms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby CaddoFarms » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:00 am

skyhightree1 wrote:What kind of peppers were you considering raising?

Actually sky I'm not sure the common name, brother in law was telling about it the last 2 times I've seen him. I have seen it in his garden for years, it's a bigger red pepper he says is very hot. I think it's more of an asian demand, he sells to the local asian market and says they would take any and all they can buy. And my aunt sells to them. He also recommended lemon grass. I like the idea of these less common niche kinda crops for my small 20 acres (although we are buying more)

Stumbling across this thread about okra really got me thinking, I've been reading about it all week! I am for sure gonna do some test and see how easy it would be for me to sell. I have connections with the asian and indian market. And I'm willing to pick okra full time every day during season. I'm younger trying to be self employed and the okra seems to be a good way to make more per acre than much else I can think of. I've read what I can on the web but I'm gonna go to the library and try to find an in depth book on okra. I'll also listen to anything yall have to say!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:13 am

CaddoFarms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:What kind of peppers were you considering raising?

Actually sky I'm not sure the common name, brother in law was telling about it the last 2 times I've seen him. I have seen it in his garden for years, it's a bigger red pepper he says is very hot. I think it's more of an asian demand, he sells to the local asian market and says they would take any and all they can buy. And my aunt sells to them. He also recommended lemon grass. I like the idea of these less common niche kinda crops for my small 20 acres (although we are buying more)

Stumbling across this thread about okra really got me thinking, I've been reading about it all week! I am for sure gonna do some test and see how easy it would be for me to sell. I have connections with the asian and indian market. And I'm willing to pick okra full time every day during season. I'm younger trying to be self employed and the okra seems to be a good way to make more per acre than much else I can think of. I've read what I can on the web but I'm gonna go to the library and try to find an in depth book on okra. I'll also listen to anything yall have to say!

Gotcha, Yea, I wish I could tell you if okra grows well there im still testing the waters at my place. I couldn't get the stuff to grow last year replanted a few times and just said forget it I think maybe 1 plant grew but this year they are doing ok. I hope something we have said helps you out with your goal.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:07 pm

Caddo, okra and peppers are good steady producers without a lot of maintenance needs. I know of two people who are making good livings with peppers. Like you say, you have to be creative and find that niche market and when you do many doors will open. Okra is an amazing plant to me.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Return to “Gardening”