Hoop House Plan ?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Hoop House Plan ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:14 pm

What is a good plan source for a small hoop house, with an under ground hot water wood boiler loop, that could also be used to overwinter a few laying hens ?
0 x
Stocker Steve

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Hoop House Plan ?

Postby slick4591 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:22 pm

I have 5 of these I use for breeding pens. PVC and 2" x 4" field fencing for the cage. I keep no more than 5 at a time in there, but it can be scaled up for more. I can be more specific if this interest you. I have no idea how to heat it as I leave the litter in the houses through the winter for the heat. They've survived through a few low 20's nights.

0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:31 am

check with your local NRCS office....they should have good plans.

We have a couple of folks with them and using outdoor wood furnaces for heat to produce vegetable year round....
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:14 am

I have a pvc green house plan running around in my head for years. It is made of 1" sch 40 and all joints glued. and during the summer the PVC would be pressurized with water and sprinklers attached to the main ridge pipe. the plastic would attach with 1 1/2or 2" pvc split in half so it clips on the 1" pvc.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:43 am

We use one of these in the 4' version for making low tunnels with 10' pcs of EMT tubing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREENHOUSE-AND-ROW-COVER-ARCH-BENDERS-DIY-GREEN-BENDERS-TUBING-GARDEN-TOOL-/360252078213?pt=US_Hand_Tools&var=&hash=item53e0b27885

The larger versions will do high tunnels with heavier tubing. If I ever decide I need more height it's the way I'll go.
They can be covered with plastic, row cover fabric, wire, whatever.
I can't help you with the heating, but I'm sure someone more mechanically inclined will come up with some tips.
I've been extremely pleased with the versatility (and price!) of the 4' tunnels.
With all due respect to the southern guys, I don't think PVC will stand up to your winter
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:13 pm

M5farm wrote:I have a pvc green house plan running around in my head for years. It is made of 1" sch 40 and all joints glued. and during the summer the PVC would be pressurized with water and sprinklers attached to the main ridge pipe. the plastic would attach with 1 1/2or 2" pvc split in half so it clips on the 1" pvc.

M5 sounds like a "Pipe" dream. :hide: Sorry, the thought hit me and I could not resist. :tiphat:
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:17 pm

CottageFarm wrote:We use one of these in the 4' version for making low tunnels with 10' pcs of EMT tubing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREENHOUSE-AND-ROW-COVER-ARCH-BENDERS-DIY-GREEN-BENDERS-TUBING-GARDEN-TOOL-/360252078213?pt=US_Hand_Tools&var=&hash=item53e0b27885

Are you bolting the tubes together with clamps ?
What kind of cover works the best ?
0 x
Stocker Steve

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:47 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
CottageFarm wrote:We use one of these in the 4' version for making low tunnels with 10' pcs of EMT tubing.

Are you bolting the tubes together with clamps ?
What kind of cover works the best ?

I don't have anything tying mine together. Mine are just low tunnels that I cover with row cover fabric/frost blanket.
I just stick the ends in the ground, put the fabric on, pull the ends tight and weight them and then weight the sides every few feet.
It's a very temporary, seasonal thing for me.

For something more permanent, I would tie the hoops together with what I would call a rafter tie. They make T and + fittings for just such an application. As to what to cover it with it depends on what you're doing with it. I use the fabric for frost protection only, it wouldn't stand up to chickens though. If you're looking for more heat retention for plants, two layers of plastic - one on the inside and one on the outside with an air space between them. For a winter poultry house I would do a layer of chicken or rabbit wire on the inside and a light colored, tight weave canvas or heavy white plastic on the outside.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:38 am

I built one a couple of years ago.....

plastic sheeting on a PVC frame...

my take is that you have to be available to manage the thing....

I went out one morning and it was in the 20's....everything was cool so I left it alone and went off to work.

during the day the temps got into the low 60's and when I got home everything in the hoop house was cooked....because I was not there to open it....
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Return to “Gardening”