Garden 2015

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Garden 2015

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:41 pm

Well yea its almost that time again. I bought some of my seeds but haven't broke up the garden yet. This is some of what's on my list.
I am trying a new variety of sweet corn this year called honey select
Blue Lake beans
Alaska peas
Clemson spineless okra
Golden Summer Crookneck squash
poinsett cucumbers
I am going to get 50 lbs of white potatoes soon after this is planted all that's left is
96 tomato plants not sure variety
48 cabbage plants
96 peppers from bell peppers to habenero's
1500 beauregard or Puerto rican red sweet potatoe slips.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Re: Garden 2015

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:16 pm

I've been going like crazy in the garden for a week or two now. About all that's left for the winter garden is cabbage and brussel sprouts, peas and a few carrots. I transplanted tomatoes, five types of melons, cukes, peppers in all flavors, and squash/zucchini out yesterday and got a bunch of green beans and corn planted today. Four types of potatoes are already pushing and the spring salad stuff is almost ready to start in on.
Plus this year I'll have fruit coming out of my ears as not only are my new trees coming into their third year but my renters that were using my older trees are moving and the new renters don't want to mess with a half acre orchard and that place is literally set up to produce fruit year round.
0 x

crimsoncrazy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby crimsoncrazy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:23 pm

About time to plant onions. Then potatoes on St. Patricks day.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:53 pm

cow pollinater wrote:I've been going like crazy in the garden for a week or two now. About all that's left for the winter garden is cabbage and brussel sprouts, peas and a few carrots. I transplanted tomatoes, five types of melons, cukes, peppers in all flavors, and squash/zucchini out yesterday and got a bunch of green beans and corn planted today. Four types of potatoes are already pushing and the spring salad stuff is almost ready to start in on.
Plus this year I'll have fruit coming out of my ears as not only are my new trees coming into their third year but my renters that were using my older trees are moving and the new renters don't want to mess with a half acre orchard and that place is literally set up to produce fruit year round.

Nice you are a lucky I would love an orchard. Too wet for me to garden unless I want to plow mud.

crimsoncrazy wrote:About time to plant onions. Then potatoes on St. Patricks day.

Is there a reason for planting potatoes on st patricks day and not the onions too?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:00 pm

The wife wants a raised bed garden so we're going to start working on it after it dries up around here. Some friends put one in last year and it's pretty sharp from what we can see and the way they talk. Since Texas now has the Cottage Law we've found that we can sell our produce to retail stores/restaurants without going through all the bureaucratic BS.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:02 pm

A variety of radishes? :deadhorse: :hide:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:06 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
crimsoncrazy wrote:About time to plant onions. Then potatoes on St. Patricks day.

Is there a reason for planting potatoes on st patricks day and not the onions too?

Our onions have been planted since mid January.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:23 pm

slick4591 wrote:The wife wants a raised bed garden so we're going to start working on it after it dries up around here. Some friends put one in last year and it's pretty sharp from what we can see and the way they talk. Since Texas now has the Cottage Law we've found that we can sell our produce to retail stores/restaurants without going through all the bureaucratic BS.

Raised beds are nice easy to weed :lol2:

Alan wrote:A variety of radishes? :deadhorse: :hide:

I will buy a variety in the store wouldnt want those yucky things taking up valuable space for a actual good veggie :hide:

slick4591 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Our onions have been planted since mid January.

Mid january here and you would have been planting them in snow
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:32 pm

About to do the autumn planting here - starting brassicas indoors in seed trays in the expectation that by the time they're big enough to plant out there will be fewer butterflies to kill them.

Tomatoes starting to ripen faster than I can eat them, must be late this year, plenty capsicums, cucumber, courgettes, green beans, sweetcorn is pretty much over, plenty of spring onions - everything else bolted to seed when the weather turned hot but I see some seedlings emerging now that are either leeks or spring onions. Cape gooseberries producing well, as is the elderberry tree and the blackberries down by the creek. So there's usually something to eat out there.
Would be clearing the sweetcorn and sunflowers today to make way for a new strawberry patch, but it's actually raining out there after trying to defy the forecast for several days. Did some transplanting yesterday in the hope of this, didn't budget on the hurricane-force winds though.
Oh here we go, thunder. Now if that wind will just slow down it might hang around for a while and grow us some nice green grass.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:44 pm

We got ours stilled and ready but its been covered with snow ever since. I think we are going to put a big one in at papaws also this year. Maybe i can break it tomorrow
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:51 pm

regolith wrote:About to do the autumn planting here - starting brassicas indoors in seed trays in the expectation that by the time they're big enough to plant out there will be fewer butterflies to kill them.

Tomatoes starting to ripen faster than I can eat them, must be late this year, plenty capsicums, cucumber, courgettes, green beans, sweetcorn is pretty much over, plenty of spring onions - everything else bolted to seed when the weather turned hot but I see some seedlings emerging now that are either leeks or spring onions. Cape gooseberries producing well, as is the elderberry tree and the blackberries down by the creek. So there's usually something to eat out there.
Would be clearing the sweetcorn and sunflowers today to make way for a new strawberry patch, but it's actually raining out there after trying to defy the forecast for several days. Did some transplanting yesterday in the hope of this, didn't budget on the hurricane-force winds though.
Oh here we go, thunder. Now if that wind will just slow down it might hang around for a while and grow us some nice green grass.

Nice.. There is nothing better than a blackberry cobbler... :P

Craig Miller wrote:We got ours stilled and ready but its been covered with snow ever since. I think we are going to put a big one in at papaws also this year. Maybe i can break it tomorrow

I want to get that wasted rotting and poo hay and put on top of the garden then plow it under
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:18 am

I have a buddy that plants his potatoes in hay. Just lays them on top of the ground and covers with hay. I think im gonna try that on some. I was gonna get some of the poo from the barn but it fell in last week. I think the poo hay would be good for it.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:33 am

Craig Miller wrote:I have a buddy that plants his potatoes in hay. Just lays them on top of the ground and covers with hay. I think im gonna try that on some. I was gonna get some of the poo from the barn but it fell in last week. I think the poo hay would be good for it.

Ive heard of the hay deal but just not sure how that would work out and I love fresh taters too much to chance it :lol2: Let me know how it works out when you try it.
0 x

nobull82
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby nobull82 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:00 pm

I don't have much of a garden just sweet corn,tomatoes, green peppers,jalapeños and Serrano peppers. Well that's what it is for now anyway
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:43 am

nobull82 wrote:I don't have much of a garden just sweet corn,tomatoes, green peppers,jalapeños and Serrano peppers. Well that's what it is for now anyway

Thats some of my favorite things to eat :D
0 x

Return to “Gardening”