Garden 2015

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Garden 2015

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:09 pm

GP, those tomatoes are awesome!
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:47 pm

Dug up a vine today and this is what I found... I hope all others look like this

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:04 pm

Holy crow! That's a big-a$$ sweet potato! :shock:

i've never grown them. Are they difficult to grow? What type of soil do they like?
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:18 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:Holy crow! That's a big-a$$ sweet potato! :shock:

i've never grown them. Are they difficult to grow? What type of soil do they like?

:lol2: :lol2: You should try a few and see how it goes. They like sandy loam soil best if you don't have that type of soil some have mixed sand in the dirt and grew some dandy taters. They are pretty easy to grow but require a lot of maintenance trying to keep the grass out if you don't use chemicals to control grass.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

fenceman
GURU
GURU

Postby fenceman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:03 am

Ripped er up , getting ready for fall.
The fall garden is my favorite by far. Going to plant some left over summer stuff today. Blue lakes, blackeyes, zucchini, all will make a crop barring a very early frost.
Couple a weeks we'll be planting winter vegetables full swing.
0 x
You can all go to he//.
I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:34 pm

skyhightree1 wrote: :lol2: :lol2: You should try a few and see how it goes. They like sandy loam soil best if you don't have that type of soil some have mixed sand in the dirt and grew some dandy taters. They are pretty easy to grow but require a lot of maintenance trying to keep the grass out if you don't use chemicals to control grass.

Where I am there's alot of that Virginia red clay and alotta rocks. Here and there is some kind of soil. I've been doing veggies here for years, building up the soil with each season.

I have no trouble growing regular potatoes. Maybe I'll try some sweet potatoes next year.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:15 am

GIT R DONE FM... Workin - I think you should try a few slips if you are growing potatoes you should be able to grow a few sweet tatters. I seen some people grow them in a plastic tub in garden soil from lowes.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:42 am

There Ready... Who's gonna eat one first :lol:
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:44 am

The wife is doing pretty good with her raised bed garden. Plenty of peppers, yellow squash, zucchini and okra. She has her fall tomatoes, corn and peas planted. There's probably more in the ground but I can't remember what. Still only have half the beds built but there's no hurry until the spring for those.

0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:54 am

Sky, Is that your Bhut Jolokia? Wow, Make a video of you eating it. :D
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:22 am

slick4591 wrote:The wife is doing pretty good with her raised bed garden. Plenty of peppers, yellow squash, zucchini and okra. She has her fall tomatoes, corn and peas planted. There's probably more in the ground but I can't remember what. Still only have half the beds built but there's no hurry until the spring for those.

Looks good Slick

ga.prime wrote:Sky, Is that your Bhut Jolokia? Wow, Make a video of you eating it. :D

:nod: :nod: :nod: Yes sir you are right.. No way would I eat those like that. I am going to put them in some chili or beans :D I double dog dare you to eat one like that :D
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:07 pm

Ha, it'd take a lot more than a dare for me to eat one of those. I like hot peppers, but not that doggone hot. Habaneros are too hot for me and those bhut jolokias are hotter than that. I like the Thai and cayenne type peppers. I've good some good hot ones growing in the garden. I got the seed out of one of those bags of dried red peppers you see in the Mexican food section of the grocery store. I'll get a picture and post later.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:59 pm

ga.prime wrote:Ha, it'd take a lot more than a dare for me to eat one of those. I like hot peppers, but not that doggone hot. Habaneros are too hot for me and those bhut jolokias are hotter than that. I like the Thai and cayenne type peppers. I've good some good hot ones growing in the garden. I got the seed out of one of those bags of dried red peppers you see in the Mexican food section of the grocery store. I'll get a picture and post later.

Nice... I make chili for friends and hunting events I put half cup cayeene ground pepper in there with jalepeno chunks and a couple dozen habeneros and they told me its not hot enough... Well when i put all that in there plus these bhut jolokias we shall see :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:45 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Nice... I make chili for friends and hunting events I put half cup cayeene ground pepper in there with jalepeno chunks and a couple dozen habeneros and they told me its not hot enough... Well when i put all that in there plus these bhut jolokias we shall see :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol2: If those ghost peppers don't put it over the top, there's no hope for those guys.

These are really good and not too hot. Notice how on one, the peppers stand up and on the other the peppers hang down. They look exactly alike but the standing up ones are much hotter than the hanging down ones. The standing up ones are the better of the two. The hanging down ones are not quite hot enough. The standing up ones are perfect.

0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:45 am

ga.prime wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Nice... I make chili for friends and hunting events I put half cup cayeene ground pepper in there with jalepeno chunks and a couple dozen habeneros and they told me its not hot enough... Well when i put all that in there plus these bhut jolokias we shall see :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol2: If those ghost peppers don't put it over the top, there's no hope for those guys.

These are really good and not too hot. Notice how on one, the peppers stand up and on the other the peppers hang down. They look exactly alike but the standing up ones are much hotter than the hanging down ones. The standing up ones are the better of the two. The hanging down ones are not quite hot enough. The standing up ones are perfect.

GP they look good I did plant some of those as well they were really good. I didnt plant any habenero peppers this year i should have.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”