Getting my little plot ready

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Getting my little plot ready

Postby Named'em Tamed'em » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:16 pm

My concrete planters help me get into a warmer zone for growing. Also makes it easy to get stuff around the edges.

Nothing planted but garlic, onions and a few potatoes. I can't imagine the growing season some of you have.

Image[/URL[URL=http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/Scottydog1001/media/20150412_135520.jpg.html]Image
0 x
Get over it! It could have been alot worse.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Getting my little plot ready

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:12 pm

I like that! Ever read Square Foot Gardening? If you haven't you really need to read it. Great ideas in the book for a setup like you have.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

Postby torogmc81 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:33 pm

Also check out the Back to Eden Film. It's a long one but I believe it's worth the watch IMO. We will start gardening a totally different way this year. We already have a few truck loads of wood chips already
0 x

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Postby Named'em Tamed'em » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:04 pm

Jogeephus wrote:I like that! Ever read Square Foot Gardening? If you haven't you really need to read it. Great ideas in the book for a setup like you have.

Jo I will check that out.

Thanks for the tip "torog"

Scott
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:48 am

I like it . Is it hard to weed?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Postby Named'em Tamed'em » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Sky it's easy to weed, and no encroachment from the outside. I plant stuff so I can use my little 16 inch rototiller.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:05 pm

Named'em Tamed'em wrote:Sky it's easy to weed, and no encroachment from the outside. I plant stuff so I can use my little 16 inch rototiller.

Any composted manure in there?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Postby Named'em Tamed'em » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:50 pm

all of the soil in the planter is from our composted manure and screened
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Named'em Tamed'em wrote:all of the soil in the planter is from our composted manure and screened

Nice.. My grandpa used to use a lot of horse poo on his onions and those bad boys were huge and would make you cry for a while.
0 x

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Postby Named'em Tamed'em » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:44 am

No poop sky, just black gold.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:36 pm

Now that's some soil. I'm still working on mine. I still use some of the square foot gardening principles even though I've expanded the garden. N&T, I think you would really find the book helpful. You've probably already figured some of the stuff he talks about out but its really ingenious and cuts down on the weeding while maximizing the use of the space. I imagine with your setup you could feed a dozen families.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Did you pour these yourself? I've been thinking about something similar although wasnt thinking quite as deep. What is the thought behind that depth and design? Looks great. Thanks
0 x

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Postby Named'em Tamed'em » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Yes artesian ,I built them .The little one was built on a day off,small pours of a couple yards like this we normally get for free here at the house. The height of the stepped planter was determined by the slope of the land. The height of the lower walls have to be higher than the footing for the wall above it.

When I get the soil around the outside it will look better.

I'm going to market them, why not I've been a concrete contractor for 30 years. Might be able to make a couple easy $$ Not to mention, there functional.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:12 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Now that's some soil.

Yes sir :nod: :nod: :nod: looks good .. I would show you my soil but everyone knows what sand looks like :lol:
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:21 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
Named'em Tamed'em wrote:all of the soil in the planter is from our composted manure and screened

Nice.. My grandpa used to use a lot of horse poo on his onions and those bad boys were huge and would make you cry for a while.

My Dad also used horse poop in a small garden he had behind his house. He never did cool weather gardens--rains too much here so in the fall, he would till about a dozen deep trenches, shovel the soil out, throw in poop, then backfill a layer of soil on top of the poop, then a layer of poop, till that up, then repeat until he had the original trenches filled in with soil/poop mixture and mounded up some. By spring, that was some good rich soil and he grew huge tomatoes and squash. He said horse poop had more of "the good stuff" in it because the horses didn't digest as much of the grass they ate, and pooped out better manure than the cows did. He just went around during the late summer, and picked up horse poop by the 5 gal bucket and collected it for his garden.

He also grew a couple rows of colored cotten there just for the heck of it--brown mostly. I still have some of the seeds from those brown bolls--been meaning to try it but not sure if it's still any good. His cotton stalks were over 5 feet high. :shock:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Gardening”