GMO Free Seeds?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: GMO Free Seeds?

Postby wlamarparmer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Have been reading these boards for approximately 3 years, only post minimal when feel have something to offer. I find myself getting upset with those that impune technology, as in GMO foods. Granted there are issues with some GMO plants, but for general use i think they improve the production and availability of food worldwide. If You don't agree, don't plant GMO material, if You choose organic, then good, live with the % loss production to insects and fungii. I am not saying either is right nor wrong, just get so tired of cr**p see on all media, so that those that protest get all coverage. Those that are middle road apparently have no voice in this day and time.
Without technology and risk we would probably not have had Sulfa drugs WWI era, nor Penicillin WWII era. I know of friends and family members that probably had shortened life in SE from dusting Toxaphene on cotton, and Parathion on peanuts in '50's. Knowing these men I think the only thing they would change today would be to use respirators. None were ever confirmed due to pesticide use, but sure played a part. But, w/o these pesticides the SE would have stayed mired in the depression era productivity. These people did not invent the boll weevil, they fought manually for many years until and effective pesticide was available. With today's restrictions. would this have been available,
would cotton even be a crop in the US.
Pretty Sure will get hammered for this post,but could not stay silent. Getting
too old and cantankerous to just sit by.
W.Lamar Parmer, DVM
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:04 pm

wlamarparmer wrote:Have been reading these boards for approximately 3 years, only post minimal when feel have something to offer. I find myself getting upset with those that impune technology, as in GMO foods. Granted there are issues with some GMO plants, but for general use i think they improve the production and availability of food worldwide. If You don't agree, don't plant GMO material, if You choose organic, then good, live with the % loss production to insects and fungii. I am not saying either is right nor wrong, just get so tired of cr**p see on all media, so that those that protest get all coverage. Those that are middle road apparently have no voice in this day and time.
Without technology and risk we would probably not have had Sulfa drugs WWI era, nor Penicillin WWII era. I know of friends and family members that probably had shortened life in SE from dusting Toxaphene on cotton, and Parathion on peanuts in '50's. Knowing these men I think the only thing they would change today would be to use respirators. None were ever confirmed due to pesticide use, but sure played a part. But, w/o these pesticides the SE would have stayed mired in the depression era productivity. These people did not invent the boll weevil, they fought manually for many years until and effective pesticide was available. With today's restrictions. would this have been available,
W.Lamar Parmer, DVM

You sure as he[[ didn't offend me! :tiphat:
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:49 pm

3waycross wrote:
wlamarparmer wrote:Have been reading these boards for approximately 3 years, only post minimal when feel have something to offer. I find myself getting upset with those that impune technology, as in GMO foods. Granted there are issues with some GMO plants, but for general use i think they improve the production and availability of food worldwide. If You don't agree, don't plant GMO material, if You choose organic, then good, live with the % loss production to insects and fungii. I am not saying either is right nor wrong, just get so tired of cr**p see on all media, so that those that protest get all coverage. Those that are middle road apparently have no voice in this day and time.
W.Lamar Parmer, DVM

You sure as he[[ didn't offend me! :tiphat:

X2, Dr. P!
Join in more often, cantankerous fits in just dandy fine around here! :tiphat:
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:07 pm

As for the OP's original question...
There is much debate as to the definition of GMO.
Some have the opinion that all hybrids and crossbred's fall under the scope of GMO. If you are of that mind as well, yes, you will have a hard time finding seeds for most garden vege's. Look for varieties that say they are open pollinated, though there are many that are still crossbred. That was generally done to produce a superior plant or fruit.

Others will have a more narrow definition of GMO. Many will generally consider only those varieties that have had foreign dna introduced at the molecular level (for things like herbicidal resistance, for example) to be a GMO food. Most seeds for home gardens are not GMO by that definition. Those seeds are expensive.

As for sweet corn, most of the seeds for home gardeners are indeed F1 hybrids, and as such are not suitable for seed saving. If you want sweet corn that tastes really, really good, choose one of these. If you want to save seeds, you'll need to choose an open pollinated variety, but will pretty much always sacrifice flavor to do so. Sorry, but that's the way it is. There is a reason that hybrids have become so popular over the past 50 years. As for zucchini, there are many, many open pollinated and heritage varieties to choose from. There are also lots of hybrids and crossbreds, you'll just need to try some to find what you like.

If you want to get to the point where you're going to save seeds, bear in mind that you'll need to plant only one variety or plant different varieties about a mile apart, or else you, too, will be creating your own crossbred varieties. :D
0 x

wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wlamarparmer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:47 pm

Yes I agree, everything and everybody we know are GMO, due to splitting of chromosomes and alignment of alleles' In addition most especially in the plant kingdom have to consider the natural effect of UV radiation. Was referring primarily to man made alterations, which is part of the overall scheme of technology. I know world full of people who just don't believe to fool with mother nature, but in cardiac event would You turn down cardiac stent for You or loved one. In my opinion, similar vein, if man can put spider gene in goat to harvest worlds strongest fiber, or introduce drought tolerant grass gene into corn so that it can grow in dry countries, why not. Granted I agree some of the herbicide resistance plants have a potential for problems, but expect the same ones that produced same to regain control. I think as we move forward in life we tend to forget the diseases, hardships lot of my generation went through in our earlier life. Can You remember the first cardiac bypass You were aware of, now it is commonplace.
Lots things in this world today I don't agree with, but the technology and advancements in medicine, DNA, electronics are not among those. Most my disagreements are social, not technologically related. The medical community after virtually eliminating polio in the 40-50's, now appear to be on verge of identifying carriers of certain disease genes, with the possibility of altering those genes in fetus, or newborn. Ethical, I won't go there, but if option available and Your family, what do You choose.
I just feel this falls into the vein of being the best that we can be as mankind. There will always be those to rob, steal, disrupt, and take advantage, but does that mean we just give up and accept status quo.
Options are there for any that choose not to go with, live by, nor participate in any of the advances available today. Just don't criticize/chastise me if I see that as good option.
Example-Heart attack hospital, cardiac arrest, resuscitation, 3 hours after first pain awake 3 stents. That Me and I'm glad I'm here
Thanks For Listening
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Mr. Parmer, you hit the nail on the head with that one. All the folk hollering about GMO are the first ones in line to get their allergy shot take a handful of vitamins and supplements that have no regulations.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:47 pm

:tiphat: :tiphat: Good post Dr. Palmer.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Dr. Parmer It is good to hear from you. You have a lot to offer sir, and I hope that you will continue to participate. :tiphat:
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:10 pm

W.Lamar Parmer, DVM

I agree 100%. (They say I'm old and cantankerous too). :cowboy:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Hey TB, who be dissin' you my friend...callin' you OLD!! :mrgreen:
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:50 pm

CottageFarm wrote:Hey TB, who be dissin' you my friend...callin' you OLD!! :mrgreen:

Oh you now how it is. These "Other" old pharts who might be 6 months younger. They always talkin' big. Mostly them ol' Johnny Rebs living east of us. :mrgreen: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :cowboy:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wlamarparmer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Thanks Guys/Gals
Will try to be more involved in future instead of mumbling under my breath. Always dreaming of
being cattleman, never gonna happen, just felt had minimal to offer. Will attempt in future to post
non cattle related posts and let chips fall where they may.
Thanks
Wlamarparmer
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:41 pm

Anything that keeps people from starving is OK by me.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:06 am

chippie wrote:Anything that keeps people from starving is OK by me.

Hard to argue with that sentiment!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:46 am

wlamarparmer wrote:Thanks Guys/Gals
Will try to be more involved in future instead of mumbling under my breath. Always dreaming of
being cattleman, never gonna happen, just felt had minimal to offer. Will attempt in future to post
non cattle related posts and let chips fall where they may.
Thanks
Wlamarparmer

Welcome Doc....and chime in anytime.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”