GMO Free Seeds?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: GMO Free Seeds?

Postby M-5 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:58 am

TexasBred wrote:
wlamarparmer wrote:Thanks Guys/Gals
Will try to be more involved in future instead of mumbling under my breath. Always dreaming of
being cattleman, never gonna happen, just felt had minimal to offer. Will attempt in future to post
non cattle related posts and let chips fall where they may.
Thanks
Wlamarparmer

Welcome Doc....and chime in anytime.

Dr.Parmer,

Cattle or not you've had your arms in the south end of a north bound cow enough to be able to comment and help a vast number of participants.

all of us youngsters need advise from seasoned veterans like yourself.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Douglas
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Douglas » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:46 pm

Doc, i have been pro GMO and argue against what i consider anti-gmo ignorance for a long time. But i never thought about the analogy with human medicine. So many people now have no idea how farming works today or in the past to enable them to place these issue in the proper context. Thanks for you posts.
0 x

wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wlamarparmer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:25 pm

It is in reality a parallel universe, those that do research on plant genetics/diseases are just as important
as those researching in the animal kingdom. In many instances they are in contact with each other on various
issues. Generally they see themselves as scientists, working for the betterment of mankind. Know of a particular
study @ major Veterinary facility: whereby, a lysosomal storage disease occurring naturally in cats, also affect
several thousand children that will never see their teen years. These researchers in collaboration with their human medicine counterparts, have identified said gene, corrected defect, and successfully injected into susceptible
new born kitten and prevented disease. This is only example of research collaboration across species lines and specialties.
Some of the early work on chromosome and genes was done on plant material as that was a simpler complex
to deal with. As I said before, if we can insert a spider gene in goat chromosome and harvest spider web fibers
from goat milk, or insert gene from innocuous drought tolerant grass into corn chromosome to help it grow
in arid environments, why not. Is this any less important to mankind than the development of the cardiac stent.
I say not, each and every one serve a purpose., i.e, parallel universe.
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:37 pm

Most of the stuff that comes out as a break through in human medicine, started out as plant or animal medicine.
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wlamarparmer » Thu May 07, 2015 7:23 pm

0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Thu May 07, 2015 7:52 pm

wlamarparmer wrote:http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2015/05/05/404198552/natural-gmo-sweet-potato-genetically-modified-8-000-years-ago?utm_content=buffer3709e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Booker T Washington was responsible for developing different varieties of sweet potatoes and peanuts.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”