Organic versus Conventional

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.

Which cabbage would you prefer to use if you were making kraut?

Pic 1
11%
Pic 2
89%

Total votes: 9

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Organic versus Conventional

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:55 am

I tell you what the pic 2 makes me want a few heads of cabbages and some fat meat
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:16 am

Jogeephus wrote:
chippie wrote:Organic does not mean pesticide or fertilizer free.
It's all in the quality of your soil when having a sustainable garden.

I don't quite follow you on the pesticide fertilizer part. Has this been changed?

I think soil is the basis by which all farming is built so I don't think organic farming has a monopoly on soil health.

Organic farms can use BT, and even round up.

But they like to keep that on the down low. 8)
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:56 am

There are pesticides that are approved organic and fertilizers too.

This is a friend's cabbage. He grows organically and sells at the market where I sell. He does not spray for bugs as you can see from the holes in the cabbage.

I did not intend to indicate that organic has a monopoly on soil health. It doesn't matter how you grow if you don't have good soil. It has taken years to get the soil in our garden friable.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:15 am

Those are nice Chippie! I can grow them fine in the fall but this rainy spring did a number on mine. Next spring I'll be doing things differently. How much does he get for an organic cabbage?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:26 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I tell you what the pic 2 makes me want a few heads of cabbages and some fat meat

And about 4 inches of melted cheese on top. :lol2:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:54 pm

More a kimchi man myself.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:07 pm

TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I tell you what the pic 2 makes me want a few heads of cabbages and some fat meat

And about 4 inches of melted cheese on top. :lol2:

Now you are talking :cowboy:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:56 pm

HDRider wrote:More a kimchi man myself.

I like kimchi too. Lots of things you can do with cabbage. My grandfather kept a barrel of pickles and of kraut in the barn so its one of those things you are just raised on.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:06 pm

Jogeephus wrote:How much does he get for an organic cabbage?

I hope that you are sitting down. $6 a head. He took 10 to the market and sold them in 15 minutes. They were beautiful.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:30 pm

chippie wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:How much does he get for an organic cabbage?

I hope that you are sitting down. $6 a head. He took 10 to the market and sold them in 15 minutes. They were beautiful.

:shock: :shock: That's insane but my hat's off to him. If I asked that much around here I'd be laughed out of town. I can get a case for around $15.00 and culls for for nothing. Maybe I should load up a truck and head your way. They will be organic by the time I get there and we can both be rich. :mrgreen:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Jo this is the first time my southern states has had these - 6 bucks a head of cabbage they better chop and cook themselves
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:36 pm

Those Brandywines are some of the best tomatoes there are to eat fresh sliced. You probably can grow them there in Va.fine but they're an heirloom and susceptible to every disease there ever was and are very difficult to grow here where I am. I'm growing some from seed and planting on some new ground that hasn't had a tomato or any kind of garden grown anywhere near it as long as I can remember. Hoping I get lucky.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:13 pm

ga.prime wrote:Those Brandywines are some of the best tomatoes there are to eat fresh sliced. You probably can grow them there in Va.fine but they're an heirloom and susceptible to every disease there ever was and are very difficult to grow here where I am. I'm growing some from seed and planting on some new ground that hasn't had a tomato or any kind of garden grown anywhere near it as long as I can remember. Hoping I get lucky.

Nice .. I don't know anything about them. I may grab one of those plants and plant them and see how it does. I wish you luck with yours.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:51 pm

ga.prime wrote:I'm growing some from seed and planting on some new ground that hasn't had a tomato or any kind of garden grown anywhere near it as long as I can remember. Hoping I get lucky.

The bookies in Vegas have you at 40:1 odds against your success. I suspect they will taunt you with their beautiful initial growth. Have your heart swelling with pride and your taste buds frothing like a rabid dog only to wilt and die leaving you materless. I've been there and am scarred for life because of it. :lol2:
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:02 pm

:lol2: Yep, that's the usual result.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Return to “Gardening”