Storing your garden harvest

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
HDRider
GURU
GURU

Storing your garden harvest

Postby HDRider » Sun May 17, 2015 3:06 pm

I will put down what I know and tell me if you do it another way, or maybe a veggie I forgot.

Corn - Frozen, on cob or off
Green Beans - Frozen, or canned, sometimes canned with potatoes
Okra - Frozen, cut or whole (small), pickled
Cucumbers - Pickled
Squash - Yellow or Zucchini - Sliced Frozen
Butter Beans - Shelled & Frozen
Various Beans - Dried, dry canned (anyone got a good way to dry them?)
Baby Potatoes - Canned
Grown Potatoes - Dry dark storage, avoid freezing, don't stack more than one deep - I struggle here, they don't last
Tomatoes - Peeled frozen whole, juiced canned, whole peeled frozen, dehydrated
Peppers - Cut and freeze
Greens - Chopped and frozen

What did I miss?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Re: Storing your garden harvest

Postby HDRider » Sun May 17, 2015 3:46 pm

Does anyone grow tomatillo? How do you keep them?
0 x
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun May 17, 2015 7:48 pm

We do everything pretty much like you except for peas. All peas are shelled her at the house and simply poured into pillow cases (Cotton) and placed in the freezer. Do not wash!!!!! When you get ready for peas simply get what you want out. They won't freezer burn, they won't be stuck together because they've never been wet and they'll taste like they were just picked. Never tried this on shelled beans of any kind so don't know if it works but works on all kinds of peas.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

fenceman
GURU
GURU

Postby fenceman » Sun May 17, 2015 8:28 pm

HDRider wrote:I will put down what I know and tell me if you do it another way, or maybe a veggie I forgot.

Corn - Frozen, on cob or off
Green Beans - Frozen, or canned, sometimes canned with potatoes
Okra - Frozen, cut or whole (small), pickled
Cucumbers - Pickled
Squash - Yellow or Zucchini - Sliced Frozen
Butter Beans - Shelled & Frozen
Various Beans - Dried, dry canned (anyone got a good way to dry them?)
Baby Potatoes - Canned
Grown Potatoes - Dry dark storage, avoid freezing, don't stack more than one deep - I struggle here, they don't last
Tomatoes - Peeled frozen whole, juiced canned, whole peeled frozen, dehydrated
Peppers - Cut and freeze
Greens - Chopped and frozen

What did I miss?
onions.. Dried in sun on sheet of expanded metal. About 2 weeks. Stored in pantyhose with a knot tied between each onion. Hung in pantry.

TexasBred wrote:We do everything pretty much like you except for peas. All peas are shelled her at the house and simply poured into pillow cases (Cotton) and placed in the freezer. Do not wash!!!!! When you get ready for peas simply get what you want out. They won't freezer burn, they won't be stuck together because they've never been wet and they'll taste like they were just picked. Never tried this on shelled beans of any kind so don't know if it works but works on all kinds of peas.

Blackeyed peas?
0 x
You can all go to he//.
I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun May 17, 2015 9:50 pm

About same
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Fri May 22, 2015 9:51 am

One thing I've learned from my grandparents is fully cook the vegetables early to save time later when cooking a big meal. We have always cooked all vegetables to be frozen fully. Then when we need them, we just have to reheat on the stove and serve. That said, about the only thing we store is Corn, Okra, Beans (Green and Lima), and Peas (Purple Hull).
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri May 22, 2015 10:29 am

We can tomatoes, butterbeans corn and potatoes. We dont usually freeze anything. Then as mudhog said its ready to eat when time matters and you dont have to worry about losing power and losing to food. We also dont have a good place to store things like potatoes or onions so they wont spoil. I forgot we do freeze onions.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat May 23, 2015 5:38 am

I can all my potatoes. I harvest, wash as i do because the dirt comes off easier. I cut into quarters if large, leave whole if smaller than a inch across. I soak and rinse. I fill quart jars, add a bayleaf and a piece of onion, fill with water with chicken bouillon, seal and process.. Not only do you not lose a single potato to rot, but they are ready for anything. Very quick side dish, soup. You can even cut them into french fry shapes and if you care careful, you can fry or bake them into fries.
My potatoes are almost ready to dig up...
I also cut and freeze my onion. We eat very few raw, so i cut and bag for the freezer. They dont stick to each other, so grabbing what you need out of the bag is easy. Ready for what you're cooking and i even use them for fajitas, they still work great and cook faster..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat May 23, 2015 2:42 pm

TexasBred wrote:We do everything pretty much like you except for peas. All peas are shelled her at the house and simply poured into pillow cases (Cotton) and placed in the freezer. Do not wash!!!!! When you get ready for peas simply get what you want out. They won't freezer burn, they won't be stuck together because they've never been wet and they'll taste like they were just picked. Never tried this on shelled beans of any kind so don't know if it works but works on all kinds of peas.

Blackeyed peas?[/quote]

Absolutely....et some last week from the pillow case. Been in the freezer since 2014 garden.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Wewild
GURU
GURU

Postby Wewild » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:22 pm

HDRider wrote:Does anyone grow tomatillo? How do you keep them?

Yep. I grow them. I keep them as a sauce. I love tomatillo sauce. It don't seem to last long enough or I don't grow them well enough.
0 x
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:45 am

What about pumpkins? I'd love to keep mine through winter but they always succumb to rot. This year's lot only lasted maybe 2 - 3 months and I didn't do anything different to the years they keep five months or so. I just put them in a shed to keep them dry, as cool a place as I can find.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

rnh2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rnh2 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:14 pm

Anybody use a dehydrator? Thinking about trying one esp for fruit
0 x
If you're too dumb to be anything else you can be a expert

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:24 pm

rnh2 wrote:Anybody use a dehydrator? Thinking about trying one esp for fruit

I like drying hot peppers and making powder. I don't get much out of it beyond that and jerky. Love my jerky.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Wewild wrote:
HDRider wrote:Does anyone grow tomatillo? How do you keep them?

Yep. I grow them. I keep them as a sauce. I love tomatillo sauce. It don't seem to last long enough or I don't grow them well enough.

I love it too. Do you start with seeds or a plant? I can't find the plants around here.
0 x

Wewild
GURU
GURU

Postby Wewild » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:12 pm

HDRider wrote:I love it too. Do you start with seeds or a plant? I can't find the plants around here.

I start from seeds just like tomatoes. This year I planted cisneros. Good size green variety.
0 x
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Return to “Gardening”