Trees fruit/nut

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Trees fruit/nut

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:11 pm

Some of the trees I bought a couple years ago now are starting to bear fruit.... The pecan trees will have pecans in about 20 years probably.

plum

pecan trees

Blueberries
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Trees fruit/nut

Postby JW IN VA » Sun May 31, 2015 8:21 pm

If I had planted an orchard when I first wanted to the trees would be very mature.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

Postby torogmc81 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:26 pm

Do you have the right soil for blueberries Sky? Be interesting to see if they make it.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:53 pm

JW IN VA wrote:If I had planted an orchard when I first wanted to the trees would be very mature.

I am wishing I planted more... What I really wish is that the cherry tree was producing.

torogmc81 wrote:Do you have the right soil for blueberries Sky? Be interesting to see if they make it.

Seems to be the right soil they have been producing for almost 2 years now and they gain more blueberries each year. I need to plant more bushes but will do so in the fall.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun May 31, 2015 11:49 pm

I have pear trees bearing right now, but have never been able to keep the tree rats, coons, and possums out of them. Last year, I saw the pears about ready thought "I'll come back in a few days and get them", and when I went back up there, I found one half gnawed little nub left under the trees and nothing on the branches. Picked clean.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:35 am

greybeard wrote:I have pear trees bearing right now, but have never been able to keep the tree rats, coons, and possums out of them. Last year, I saw the pears about ready thought "I'll come back in a few days and get them", and when I went back up there, I found one half gnawed little nub left under the trees and nothing on the branches. Picked clean.

Yea, My main issue here on these would be insects. However on my other older trees the bears seem to think the fruit is there's and clean me out quickly.
0 x

FourSquareFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FourSquareFarm » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:15 am

Looks yummy! Nice work Sky....I hope to put an orchard in this fall.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:00 pm

FourSquareFarm wrote:Looks yummy! Nice work Sky....I hope to put an orchard in this fall.

Thanks my other trees I planted at another place are loaded but those are the ones the bears normally get
0 x

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:05 am

Blueberries like acidic soil. I have my two Blueberries in pots (old protein cattle tubs) so I can control the soil easier. They are on their first year producing from planting this Spring. I'm not a big potted plant person, but so far they are doing good.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

fenceman
GURU
GURU

Postby fenceman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:37 pm

This plum tree already had a 5 gallon bucket pulled of it. Peach look like their going to be good to. As long as the birds don't peck em to bad.
0 x
You can all go to he//.
I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:41 pm

fenceman wrote:Image
This plum tree already had a 5 gallon bucket pulled of it. Peach look like their going to be good to. As long as the birds don't peck em to bad.

Don't let my wife see that......she was excited we got a soups bowl full of plums off our tree. :?
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:31 am

That's an impressive yield fenceman!
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:36 am

Fenceman that looks great... I would have so many jars of peach preserves and plum it would be ridiculous
0 x

fenceman
GURU
GURU

Postby fenceman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:34 am

1982vett wrote:
fenceman wrote:Image

Don't let my wife see that......she was excited we got a soups bowl full of plums off our tree. :?

I wish I could take credit for it . The amazing little tree was planted by my grandfather. I remember when he planted the orchard. He had a wet box of what looked Like dead sticks he had got from a nursery over in Belton. It is the best orchard I've ever been around. I've planted several potted tree's from the big box stores, with disappointing results. The amazing little plum tree is actually on the decline. It's had a hard fight with bores and lost several limbs. It'll be a sad day when it goes. I considering trying to start some replacements from seed. But we have several wild plums on the property. I would think there would be a big chance of any offspring being crosses, and not as productive.idk
0 x
You can all go to he//.
I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Arnold Ziffle
GURU
GURU

Postby Arnold Ziffle » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Fenceman, planting plum seeds will almost certainly not yield a clone or even a reasonably similar tree. But, if you will Google something like "plum tree propagation" I'm sure you will find many articles that will show you how to propagate plums using the softwood cutting method (also consider the semi-hardwood method). I've had success rooting cuttings from Methley plum trees in years past and I'd almost bet that your grandfather got some Methley cuttings and used that method of propagation. Good luck.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”