Vaginal prolapse

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
ddd75
GURU
GURU

Re: Vaginal prolapse

Postby ddd75 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:34 pm

awesome man. thats good news.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:25 pm

I have one with a vag prolapse but not neeear as bad as your girl. Yikes! Glad she successfully calved.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:02 am

Nice 92lbs. Glad everything ended well.
0 x

Israel Trujillo
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Israel Trujillo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:46 am

Vaginal vault prolapse occurs when the upper portion of the vagina loses its normal shape and sags or drops down into the vaginal canal.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:52 am

We were happy that this girl has calved and have no daughters left from her. However this Saturday saw another cow with the same problem. Were really surprised, but later remembered that she's sired by the 1st cow's son. Used him for one season and now have 5 his daughters in the herd.
This time this cow is due on 4th of April. She's a pretty young cow, only 5 years old in march, carrying her 4th calf. Very good girl and have two her daughters in the herd.
Really don't like how she looks. The "ball" doesn't come in once she stands up. Needs to push her rear to face up the hill for it to come inside. It looks abit more loose that the 1st cow's. She's already preparing to calve but ligaments are still not getting any smoother. Again can't sleep calmly. :/ She'll be culled in the autumn too.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Good choice. good to hear you got a calf from her at least!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:37 am

The second girl has calved two days ago. Had 104lbs bull calf, 277days gestation. It'll be very hard to cull her. She's such a sweet girl.
0 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:45 am

lithuanian farmer wrote:The second girl has calved two days ago. Had 104lbs bull calf, 277days gestation. It'll be very hard to cull her. She's such a sweet girl.

That's a pretty big calf. It is always hard to cull your favorites, I had to do it just a week ago. However, you have to keep the best animals in your herd, and cows with prolapses have a hard time staying in our herd. Glad to hear you got a calf out of her.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:08 am

One of my cows has just been developing a prolapse as well.. there hasn't been a single trace of it through her entire maternal family, which makes it a bit of a surprise... She's got about a week to go still too.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 am

Nesikep wrote:One of my cows has just been developing a prolapse as well.. there hasn't been a single trace of it through her entire maternal family, which makes it a bit of a surprise... She's got about a week to go still too.

She probably got that from the sire. Our both cows got that from the sire. If only she left one week she should be fine. Our first cow had left one month until calving and the 2nd girl ~two weeks.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:32 am

MRRherefords wrote:
lithuanian farmer wrote:The second girl has calved two days ago. Had 104lbs bull calf, 277days gestation. It'll be very hard to cull her. She's such a sweet girl.

That's a pretty big calf. It is always hard to cull your favorites, I had to do it just a week ago. However, you have to keep the best animals in your herd, and cows with prolapses have a hard time staying in our herd. Glad to hear you got a calf out of her.

That's the first prolapses in the herd for us. Not a nicest thing. Always thought what gonna find when went to check the herd. It won't be hard to cull the 1st cow. She looks the best from the herd, but calves are average, so it'll be for the best. However, the 2nd girl is a small plain looking cow with a tiny udder, but does her job well. Also she has calved at 15 months age so has quite a special story. Have two her daughters. One is due in april with 2nd calf, another is due in august-september with her 1st calf. Both very friendly girls. 1st calver did a great job raising her 1st calf-heifer and that one is a real sweety too. Well atleast her line won't disapear so easily.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:13 pm

lithuanian farmer wrote:
Nesikep wrote:One of my cows has just been developing a prolapse as well.. there hasn't been a single trace of it through her entire maternal family, which makes it a bit of a surprise... She's got about a week to go still too.

She probably got that from the sire. Our both cows got that from the sire. If only she left one week she should be fine. Our first cow had left one month until calving and the 2nd girl ~two weeks.

I can't speak much for the sire, but his daughters have never before had a problem.. Kama is 5 years old, and really big and floppy this year, but hasn't really bagged up yet.. I'm wondering if she's going to have twins (Her full sister did this year)
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Nesikep wrote:I can't speak much for the sire, but his daughters have never before had a problem.. Kama is 5 years old, and really big and floppy this year, but hasn't really bagged up yet.. I'm wondering if she's going to have twins (Her full sister did this year)

We've a dam of the first cow, which is 14 years old and no such problems. The second cow got that from the 1st one's son.
You never know with twins. There was time when I thought that cow might have twins and she had, but for example, last year one pretty slim cow had twins, ~70lbs each calf. Last weekend one cow calved which had a huge belly, but only one normal size calf. You never know.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:47 pm

Nope, my twin prediction success rate is terribly low!
I had one BIIIG cow have twin 110 lb bull calves.. one was breech and didn't make it though.. she wasn't particularly round either
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:35 pm

We've guessed a couple twins, but had surprises too. All were less than 90lbs.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”