Problem breeding back after lute?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Problem breeding back after lute?

Postby BK9954 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Had a heifer 12 months old, 4 months bred. Gave her a shot of lute and she passed the fetus through. Now she is the last heifer not to breed. She has been with my bull since mid December. 2 weeks ago Vet said she might be bred or just a little swollen in heat. Anyone had a problem with a cow not breeding back after using lute or being bred too young? The lute was given in October.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: Problem breeding back after lute?

Postby farmerjan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:06 am

Yes have had some slow breed backs with aborting a too young bred heifer. Usually we will give them 2 shots of lute, one to abort and another to make sure they cleaned afterbirth etc. a bout 2 weeks later. It seems to just throw their systems into a tailspin. They often go anestrus, stop cycling for awhile. I think her body needed more time to readjust to not being pregnant; not anything proven or scientific in my observations. You only gave her 2 months to readjust and then put her with the bull. In some of the dairies, they have more problems with trying to synch heifers than if they had just bred on normal heats. Her nutrition level would also be a factor, but if everyone else is bred it probably is the disruption of her pregnancy and then the body reverting to a non-cycling state.
0 x

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Problem breeding back after lute?

Postby BK9954 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:24 am

farmerjan wrote:Yes have had some slow breed backs with aborting a too young bred heifer. Usually we will give them 2 shots of lute, one to abort and another to make sure they cleaned afterbirth etc. a bout 2 weeks later. It seems to just throw their systems into a tailspin. They often go anestrus, stop cycling for awhile. I think her body needed more time to readjust to not being pregnant; not anything proven or scientific in my observations. You only gave her 2 months to readjust and then put her with the bull. In some of the dairies, they have more problems with trying to synch heifers than if they had just bred on normal heats. Her nutrition level would also be a factor, but if everyone else is bred it probably is the disruption of her pregnancy and then the body reverting to a non-cycling state.

So reverting to non cycling but probably coming out of that state?
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: Problem breeding back after lute?

Postby farmerjan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 am

I would say so from just a farmer viewpoint and not any "vet or schooling" knowledge. It just seems that the few we have had to abort take longer to get back to "normal". Someone who has more vet knowledge might know more of the whys and hows. We usually take something we have aborted, and hold them to go to the "next" breeding group.... if we even keep them. Once they have gotten bred and calve they do usually just do fine.
0 x

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Problem breeding back after lute?

Postby BK9954 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 am

Thanks, she is a fine looking heifer. Hate to sell her at beef price.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46633
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Problem breeding back after lute?

Postby dun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:48 pm

BK9954 wrote:Thanks, she is a fine looking heifer. Hate to sell her at beef price.

Give her a shot of GnRH, that should get things working again
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Problem breeding back after lute?

Postby BK9954 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:57 pm

dun wrote:
BK9954 wrote:Thanks, she is a fine looking heifer. Hate to sell her at beef price.

Give her a shot of GnRH, that should get things working again

Whats GnRH
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46633
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Problem breeding back after lute?

Postby dun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone
It causes the cow to ovulate which will clear the dominant follicle. That will restart the heat cycle wave again. It's typically used for cystic ovaries but also works to clear an anestrus situation
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Problem breeding back after lute?

Postby BK9954 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:19 pm

dun wrote:Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone
It causes the cow to ovulate which will clear the dominant follicle. That will restart the heat cycle wave again. It's typically used for cystic ovaries but also works to clear an anestrus situation

Called my vet, been a month since I palpated. Taking her next week to check. He says he has the GRH in his office.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: Problem breeding back after lute?

Postby farmerjan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Yeah, we also use Gnrh to get them to cycle and have used it a couple of times when they have been cyctic. Have more trouble in the dairy cross heifers than the beef ones usually.
0 x

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Problem breeding back after lute?

Postby BK9954 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Good news today, that big beautiful heifer is 2 month bred today. Those feedlot boys arent winning on this one yet. :D The other heifer I took was bred too. She bred the 1st week with my bull. I love good news in the morning. Makes for a good day.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Near the Mason Dixon line

Re: Problem breeding back after lute?

Postby MRRherefords » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:30 am

BK9954 wrote:Good news today, that big beautiful heifer is 2 month bred today. Those feedlot boys arent winning on this one yet. :D The other heifer I took was bred too. She bred the 1st week with my bull. I love good news in the morning. Makes for a good day.

Congratulations. You have got to love hearing pregnant! Looking forward to seeing pics of calf next year.
0 x


Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests