Linebreeding Info

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Linebreeding Info

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Wow, so that's 43 descendents you currently have? or that you've kept in total?.. I have 22 cows from 5 families (1 is going extinct), and I think I've kept about 19 from some of them, so it's about the same ratio.. Ironically, the family I kept the most from doesn't have the most members in the herd.. I had to keep so many because they kept failing! (thankfully they're better now)
The family that I've kept less animals from (14 of 72 total) makes up a full third of my herd now with 8 of them still around..

Sometimes slow and steady does win the race.. makes a good argument for long lived cows at least
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Dubcharo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dubcharo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:27 pm

I should say we don't linebreed on purpose but we keep a bull from our herd from time to time. We see often the same bull on the 2 sides of a pedegree but we like 2 generations minimum on 1 side and 3 on the other.
0 x

Dubcharo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dubcharo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:32 pm

@Nesikep It's 43 cows or first calf heifer alive in the herd right now. Tattoo PDA 6F born in 1974. Fannie was her name! Another cow that our father bought was Miss Pasco 560 born in 1964. We have 17 cows from her in the herd, her sire was linebreed by FWT BAR 545 grand sire on both side of her father.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:19 am

It's nice to know pedigree for such a long ways back. I don't have the land base to increase my total cow-nt, but I figure someday they will all be descended from my original Josie line, if not on the maternal side, they'll have a sire from her in there somewhere
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

cotton1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cotton1 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:18 am

Dubcharo- I think that the FWT Bar 545 bull was the sire to the FWT Bar 951(Sam) bull that was line bred so heavily at Littons. Like Nesi, I think its great that you have so much information for so long about your herd. I wonder what kind of IBC average your herd has. I bet its pretty high.

Would I have to look your cow up on the Canadian data base? I tried looking her up on the AICA, but didn't find her. One thing I don't understand is why the two registry wont indicate a calf that is in the other registry but off of the same parent. I think a lot of the bulls that were used in some linebreeding Charolais in America were also used in Canada a good bit.

Reguardless those must be some good lines you guys have to have lasted so long! If I am right about the FWT bull, those lines have been proven over and over. I have been trying to find some semen on Sam for a little while.

Cotton1
0 x

Dubcharo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dubcharo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:13 pm

You will have to go on the Canadian data base. 70% of our cows come from 4 cows: PDA 6F (43), XAL 1W (17), Miss Pasco 560 (17) and JTP 7C (11)
0 x

cotton1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cotton1 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:15 am

Dubcharo-thanks for the cow info, I enjoyed looking them up. I noticed the line bred FWT 545 bull you mentioned, and some other Litton breeding. I also noticed your JTP 7C cow is by Reebok. I think I know where a few straws of a son off the 10y bull are called PD Reeboks Reason. If you are interested, I will see if I can get them for you.

You all have used some interesting bulls before including Till.I might know where some of that is too, but probably cant find signatures for registration. The gentleman that may have some Till has been around since the 60s like you all. He made a calf a few years back that he couldn't get signatures on. I don't remember if it was a Alfalfa John, or a International calf. He told me about it and had planned to breed with it, but couldn't get it registered so he sold it to commercial, which I thought was a shame. He let me look at his inventory book for his tank. He and I and one other producer had some great conversation about the old foundation bulls. Before straws came about, that old guy said he made effort to breed 2 or maybe 3 cows with one vile because he had to save money up to buy just a couple viles per year. Right now he is in his 80s and still going strong, still breeding AI and selling registered stock after 50 plus years. Admirable to me

Good stuff, thanks again

Cotton1
0 x

Dubcharo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dubcharo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Tranks Cotton1 on the good comments. If you saw the tatoo LPD often it was my father tatoo. He didn't A.I. that much so we don't have old semen in our tank. A bull who made big impact here was CFQ 30T. Reebok is a bull of the pass I thing, frame 10 or so from memory. We put bulls like Wyoming Wind, Famac 2244, Cigar, Shelco Made Easy to moderate the frame. Till made us some good meaty cows but we don't work that much with horned bulls anymore. On 37 calves this year we have 1 horned from an old half french cow (Marquis). Calves are from SVY Grizzly, GGD 505C, MVY Xplorer, Shelco Made Easy and Wr Wrangler W601
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Going to drag this thread back up.. Found a great article though it's about dogs.. Long read but informative
http://www.westwindgsps.com/linebreeding.htm
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”