TWINS!!!!

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: TWINS!!!!

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:55 am

A 3-year old is always in the worse BCS on my farm. Worse cow to have a set of live twins. Your cow looks low on BCS. I would think she will struggle to raise the two calves, and as mentioned, will struggle to get re-bred. IF you are going to split a calf off, it is best to do it NOW. Much easier to get a newborn to suck a bottle vs a calf that has sucked mom for a week or so.
Also, many cows that have twins do not clean their afterbirth - although she looks like she has cleaned in the picture. Just something to be aware of.
BTW - I HATE twins! I have at least 1 to 3 every year. This year, I had 3.
1 set Embryo split - twin heifers, both doing great. At 4 months old, split one off for our show string. Obviously, cow was doing a great job for the calf to be good enough to go into show line-up.
1 set of heifer / bull combo. (If you are unaware, "most" heifers born twin to a bull are non-breeders - "freemartin". Cow doing a great job raising both
1 set born dead. Watched cow spit out each 1 - DOA
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coyotefur » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:18 pm

Calfs are doing great. We are bottle feeding the bull. The heifer didnt want anything to do with the bottle. Cow is gaining weight. She is also recovering from a foot abscess during pregnancy. Girl has had it rough.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:59 am

coyotefur wrote:Calfs are doing great. We are bottle feeding the bull. The heifer didnt want anything to do with the bottle. Cow is gaining weight. She is also recovering from a foot abscess during pregnancy. Girl has had it rough.

Perhaps you know this but in case you don't, the heifer will likely be sterile so don't plan to keep her or sell her as a breeder.
0 x

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:39 am

My best twins turned out to be identical (heifers). They looked so similar I had them tested to find out if they were.
Half my twinsets have been successfully reared by their mothers, the other half have been sad lessons in why twins aren't always great - dead, distocia, hard on the cow, etc.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:03 pm

"if" you are fortunate to have two live twins, they never come when you have a cow that loses a calf.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”