heifers possibly bred to their siblings?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
toxxie24
Beginner
Beginner

heifers possibly bred to their siblings?

Postby toxxie24 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:33 pm

I recently found a group of heifers that have been pastured with their bull siblings. they range from 12 to 18 months. i am sure that some , if not all, may be bred. they are out of pretty good stock and look really good: the price is also right. i considered buying them and treating them with lutelyse, then breeding them all together later. also, considered having them preg checked and only using lutelyse with the ones that were way too young. just wanting some opinions.the sire was simangus. the mommas were angus cross cows.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: heifers possibly bred to their siblings?

Postby farmerjan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:00 pm

If they are not very far along, I would lute all them, give them a couple of months to get their " ïnsides" all back to normal and then breed them so that they calve when i wanted the calves. But since some are 18 months you say, if they have some decent size and growth, then you could keep them bred and get a few calves. The thing is, if they don't have some good growth, then you are asking them to do a job that their systems might not be ready to do.
Actually with the age spread, I would probably be splitting them into 2 groups, so that ones of similiar size and age are calving together. I also would not keep any of the resulting calves due to the inbred of siblings.

It really depends on their age, condition, and if you are set up to deal with some heifers that could have potential problems.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:05 am

farmerjan wrote:Since some are 18 months you say, if they have some decent size and growth, then you could keep them bred and get
a few calves.

Preg check the large ones. Keep the ones large enough pg and lute all the too small without bothering to preg check.
Sell resulting calves from the the ones you keep pg as weaned calves. Too close of inbreeding stunts their feed lot
performance, so I would not want to feed them out myself.
0 x

toxxie24
Beginner
Beginner

Postby toxxie24 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:07 pm

recently preg checked the heifers. one of the youngest was bred(luted her). the rest were open. although im relieved more werent bred to their brothers, i now have to wonder why the older ones werent bred... lol....
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:49 am

toxxie24 wrote:i now have to wonder why the older ones werent bred... lol....

Ugly sister syndrome maybe?
2 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 am

toxxie24 wrote:i now have to wonder why the older ones weren't bred... lol....

That is very concerning given that some were 17 & 18 months old.
Get them on a good mineral program asap.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:36 am

and here I got myself 5 legged, 4 eyes, 2 headed cows out of my same bull i've used breeding dad to daughters and granddaughters to grandpa.. lol.

they usually calve at 18 months old so that must be some crazy incest gene. :dunce:
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:04 am

If the sire is "proven" (lots of progeny) "in-breeding" could actually be "line-breeding". The "brothers" are 1/2 the sire & the heifers are 1/2 the sire, so the offspring is only 1/2 the genes of the grand-sire.
I would be extremely concerned that they are NOT all pregnant.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bullitt
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bullitt » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:03 pm

toxxie24 wrote:recently preg checked the heifers. one of the youngest was bred(luted her). the rest were open. although im relieved more werent bred to their brothers, i now have to wonder why the older ones werent bred... lol....

Can you check where you bought these heifers to see if the rancher is having trouble with his other cattle?

If there were bulls in the pasture with your heifers, then they should have all been bred.
0 x

skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher

Postby skeeter swatter » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:If the sire is "proven" (lots of progeny) "in-breeding" could actually be "line-breeding". The "brothers" are 1/2 the sire & the heifers are 1/2 the sire, so the offspring is only 1/2 the genes of the grand-sire.
I would be extremely concerned that they are NOT all pregnant.

The offspring could be all of the grand sire or none of the grand sire. Most likely somewhere in between, only DNA testing can say where.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”