Cow that does not push

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Cow that does not push

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:22 am

I have an 8 year old cow. Has had a calf every year. Probably 1700 lbs. She does not push.

I have used chains and pull bar to give her assistance, last year and two days ago. Last year her calf was a 94 pound Grandmaster. This year a 95 pound Ironhide. She gets the feet out. Lays down and does nothing!!!! I have pulled both calves. I would define it as light assistance. Plenty of room in birth canal. I think I will sell her when this calf is weaned.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Cow that does not push

Postby callmefence » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:27 am

You just mentioned 2 calves on a 8 year old.
What about the others.
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:30 am

callmefence wrote:You just mentioned 2 calves on a 8 year old.
What about the others.

They were unassisted and she raises a good calf. All in the 95 to 100 range.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:39 am

Some may laugh , but im convinced older cows get better at having calves. They can become very lackadaisical about the whole deal. They learn to position the calf themselves by their movements and waiting for the calf to move.
They may even take a break. You may be jumping in to early.

With that said she's eight. So if you have any doubts about her your doing right to ship her.
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:24 am

I heard an antidote from a friend that claimed when her Mom was giving birth to her 8th child the nurses put her on
a wobbly old gurney to take her to the delivery room. By the time they arrived the baby had pretty much been wiggled out by the shaking gurney and it was the easiest birth ever. My friend was that child.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:58 am

I'm guessing she didn't need the help. Sometimes we can't help ourselves, no pun intended.
1 x

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Many of my older cows refuse to deliver the calf as long as I am watching them. More than once I have watched an old cow walk around or lay there with feet sticking out for more than an hour. Many will take off trying to get out of sight before delivery and if I follow they can hold off for what seems an eternity. I've even seen them pause labor so they could come over and eat the hay I just put out. They come up with feet sticking out and eat there fill, before heading back out into the pasture to find a good spot to finish delivery. Unless they look stressed, the calf is not in the right position or they are down and can't get back up, I don't help. I just go where they can't see me for 15 minutes and unless the calf has an issue like a foot back, I usually find they have already delivered. If you see both front feet in the proper position, try backing off and giving her some privacy. A 1700 cow should be able to easily spit out a 100 pound calf. I bet she will push when she is ready.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Sometimes, a lack of Selenium affects their natural "desire" to push.
But, they sure can "delay" things if you are watching. That's why I love my cameras. Plus, I'm too lazy to get out of bed in the winter. :banana:
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:23 pm

I had a cow that decided not to push last year in my fall herd. As a result, that was the last calf she raised. All fun and games until they push out a dead one because they wasted too much time.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Aaron wrote:I had a cow that decided not to push last year in my fall herd. As a result, that was the last calf she raised. All fun and games until they push out a dead one because they wasted too much time.

I found a big dead calf and it's head a tongue was really swollen. I figured it was the size of the calf and hard labor - pushing that caused the swelling. But the heifer was no where around the dead calf and I found that odd. But later that day the heifer was laying in the spot where I picked the calf up from. I wonder if it could of been from not pushing?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:49 pm

I agree with what Fence said Ron, you may be jumping in too early.

It is when the head engages the pelvis that they put in the big ones.

Ken
1 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:06 pm

8YO and 1700 lbs. You had to pull two calves. I don't think anyone needs to tell you she need to hit the hi-way.
2 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:35 pm

It is strange.. guess it's possible? Could there perhaps be nerve damage somewhere from a previous birth that would hinder the pushing reflex?
While it's possible you could wait longer, I figure Ron has seen the 'natural' progression of things enough, and this one stands out as being exceptionally slow, or just does nothing... and that something is up with this cow.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”