Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Reporting live from Bright Raven Simmental Farm. 10 down, 5 to go. Just minutes ago, a flashy Broadway calf hit the ground under the watchful eye of The Raven. Plenty of CHROME. Which was what my consultant, the Great One, Miss Fire Sweep expected.

Bull. Probably 92 pounds.

Image
1 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:36 pm

For you Broadway watchers. He weighed 84 pounds. Gestation 280.

Here is my other Broadway. 281 day gestation. 93 pounds.
Image
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4957
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:33 pm

You should name him " Hollywood" and the other one " show time!" I'm sure they are both " money makers!" :)
1 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4957
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Are they allways that loose that young that their rear hooves will lay back like that??
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Kingfisher wrote:Are they allways that loose that young that their rear hooves will lay back like that??


He just hit the ground. I had just pulled him out of the puddle of fluid he was born in. He has been up nursing this evening. Yes. They are like a wet dish towel.

I need names. I will use those. Thanks.
0 x

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: KY

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Lazy M » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Reporting live from Bright Raven Simmental Farm. 10 down, 5 to go. Just minutes ago, a flashy Broadway calf hit the ground under the watchful eye of The Raven. Plenty of CHROME. Which was what my consultant, the Great One, Miss Fire Sweep expected.

Bull. Probably 92 pounds.

Image

Nice calf. I always feel like a kid at xmas when I find one calving.
2 x

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6460
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:38 pm

He's a pretty little calf! I'm very curious to see how he grows out.

Is he bull potential, due to his breeding?
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:He's a pretty little calf! I'm very curious to see how he grows out.

Is he bull potential, due to his breeding?


Yes. The amount of Chrome may not appeal to everyone. His Dam is a Flying B Cut Above. Great cow. At 84 pounds, good weight. He should do well. I will keep you posted with pictures. Thank YOU.
1 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4112
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Pretty soon you won't be able to tell the difference between a Simmental and Holstein.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 944
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 pm
Location: Okie

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby BRYANT » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:03 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Pretty soon you won't be able to tell the difference between a Simmental and Holstein.

your going to get a fight started.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:25 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Pretty soon you won't be able to tell the difference between a Simmental and Holstein.


Naw. You worry too much. Go with the flow. Enjoy the chrome.
0 x

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Ky hills » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Pretty soon you won't be able to tell the difference between a Simmental and Holstein.


Naw. You worry too much. Go with the flow. Enjoy the chrome.


Maybe that statement, Go with the flow, Enjoy the chrome, can catch on and start a trend, I would get on that bandwagon.
A little chrome breaks up the monotony.
1 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3642
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:21 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Pretty soon you won't be able to tell the difference between a Simmental and Holstein
:lol2:
Nice needle, but far from true.
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4112
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:56 am

Son of Butch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Pretty soon you won't be able to tell the difference between a Simmental and Holstein
:lol2:
Nice needle, but far from true.


For sure. I like bazed and brockle faced cattle, makes a good crossbred commercial cow. I used a blazed faced Onward Simmental bull 12 years ago on my Angus for that exact reason, have also used some old Hereford bloodlines for the same reasons. We're talking commercial cows not registered breeding stock. People purposely breeding cattle for all that chrome are clowns and the calves belong in the circus as freaks instead of breeding stock.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby BFE » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:07 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Pretty soon you won't be able to tell the difference between a Simmental and Holstein
:lol2:
Nice needle, but far from true.


For sure. I like bazed and brockle faced cattle, makes a good crossbred commercial cow. I used a blazed faced Onward Simmental bull 12 years ago on my Angus for that exact reason, have also used some old Hereford bloodlines for the same reasons. We're talking commercial cows not registered breeding stock. People purposely breeding cattle for all that chrome are clowns and the calves belong in the circus as freaks instead of breeding stock.

This coming from a guy who thinks he's Charles Bronson.
2 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL


Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: callmefence and 5 guests