Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:24 am

BFE wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Son of Butch wrote: :lol2:
Nice needle, but far from true.


For sure. I like bazed and brockle faced cattle, makes a good crossbred commercial cow. I used a blazed faced Onward Simmental bull 12 years ago on my Angus for that exact reason, have also used some old Hereford bloodlines for the same reasons. We're talking commercial cows not registered breeding stock. People purposely breeding cattle for all that chrome are clowns and the calves belong in the circus as freaks instead of breeding stock.

This coming from a guy who thinks he's Charles Bronson.


Some days he is Charles Bronson. Some days, he is Dirty Harry and hates everybody. But on normal days, he is just a paranoid, cowboy. I like him better as Charles Bronson.
1 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby holm25 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:40 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:He's a pretty little calf! I'm very curious to see how he grows out.

Is he bull potential, due to his breeding?


Yes. The amount of Chrome may not appeal to everyone. His Dam is a Flying B Cut Above. Great cow. At 84 pounds, good weight. He should do well. I will keep you posted with pictures. Thank YOU.


I like the chromed up calves :) He looks like a nice healthy calf!
1 x

User avatar
BrangusUSA
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby BrangusUSA » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:48 am

Nice calves Raven! Please keep the pics coming. Makes me kind of jealous - all of mine are jet black with one in every 25 or so being brown. The brown sheds out to black anyway. Makes me want to go get a red angus or something to break up the monotony.
1 x

User avatar
BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby BFE » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:51 am

Also, where would a bull like these go in a commercial setting? Most likely on Angus cows. With that mating, most if not all of the chrome would be knocked off by the Angus. Therefore, no problem going commercial with these boys.
1 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:52 am

holm25 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:He's a pretty little calf! I'm very curious to see how he grows out.

Is he bull potential, due to his breeding?


Yes. The amount of Chrome may not appeal to everyone. His Dam is a Flying B Cut Above. Great cow. At 84 pounds, good weight. He should do well. I will keep you posted with pictures. Thank YOU.


I like the chromed up calves :) He looks like a nice healthy calf!


Image
2 x

User avatar
FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Western Kentucky

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:33 am

Pretty Calf. Enjoyed seeing the pics. Good Luck with Them, Ron.
1 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4110
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:55 am

BrangusUSA wrote:Nice calves Raven! Please keep the pics coming. Makes me kind of jealous - all of mine are jet black with one in every 25 or so being brown. The brown sheds out to black anyway. Makes me want to go get a red angus or something to break up the monotony.


quote="mrvictordomino"]Has been a while since posting or sharing. Been very busy.....with life!!
A few pictures of some of last fall bull calves. Scanning scheduled for Sept. 5th.
(Not use to the small pic's, will enlarge when clicked on)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image[/quote]
You'd have about the best moma a cows going using one of these bulls.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4110
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:59 am

Bright Raven wrote:
holm25 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Yes. The amount of Chrome may not appeal to everyone. His Dam is a Flying B Cut Above. Great cow. At 84 pounds, good weight. He should do well. I will keep you posted with pictures. Thank YOU.


I like the chromed up calves :) He looks like a nice healthy calf!


Image


Pretty to look at, but you'd get killed at the sale barn. Sure beats looking at horses, donkeys and goats.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:23 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
holm25 wrote:
I like the chromed up calves :) He looks like a nice healthy calf!


Image


Pretty to look at, but you'd get killed at the sale barn. Sure beats looking at horses, donkeys and goats.


Agree. At the sale barn, the white would get you a big discount. Keep in mind, Vince, I don't breed for this much chrome. If I was Gandalf, I would take some of that white away. Fire Sweep does my matings, so blame her. LOL.

Seriously, I don't get many like this. Broadway according to Fire Sweep should not have thrown that much white so it comes from the Flying B Cut Above side.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3140
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:41 am

BFE wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Son of Butch wrote: :lol2:
Nice needle, but far from true.


For sure. I like bazed and brockle faced cattle, makes a good crossbred commercial cow. I used a blazed faced Onward Simmental bull 12 years ago on my Angus for that exact reason, have also used some old Hereford bloodlines for the same reasons. We're talking commercial cows not registered breeding stock. People purposely breeding cattle for all that chrome are clowns and the calves belong in the circus as freaks instead of breeding stock.

This coming from a guy who thinks he's Charles Bronson.


True grit was John Wayne not Charles Bronson.

Anybody who would like to see a real simmental go to Lithuania farmers thread agricultural fair.
2 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett


Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests