Six year old bull value?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Six year old bull value?

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:20 am

I have two different neighbors who are selling off proven herd bulls this fall. Both are coming 6 year olds and move OK. What is a fair price in this situation? One wants me to make an offer, and the other wants $2800. I was considering weighing one of them and paying a $xxx premium over kill price?
0 x
Stocker Steve

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Six year old bull value?

Postby callmefence » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:25 am

Only if you're sure they are sound and no bad habits.
I see a six year old bull with good equipment for sale I think that's a fence jumping sob
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:53 am

Pay top kill price.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:10 am

$2000
$2500 if you're in love
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:21 am

callmefence wrote:Only if you're sure they are sound and no bad habits.
I see a six year old bull with good equipment for sale I think that's a fence jumping sob

Don't most folks trade bulls every few years?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:05 am

HDRider wrote:
callmefence wrote:Only if you're sure they are sound and no bad habits.

Don't most folks trade bulls every few years?

Yes for jumping the fence. ;-)
That was jokingly but there's a whole lot of truth in it.
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:16 am

Lucky P stated awhile back... A bulls fertility starts to decline after 7 years of age. So depends on how long you want to use him... If he sires dandies, Id be inclined to gamble on him.. Couple of good replacement heifer crops would do the trick...probably a good health program --'might' --insure him...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:55 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Lucky P stated awhile back... A bulls fertility starts to decline after 7 years of age. So depends on how long you want to use him... If he sires dandies, Id be inclined to gamble on him.. Couple of good replacement heifer crops would do the trick...probably a good health program --'might' --insure him...

Yes, looking at two heifers crops from a proven bull.
One passed a semen test 5 months ago and is up to date on shots. Other one was not tested but is up to date on shots also.
0 x
Stocker Steve

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:24 pm

You can buy good quality young bulls for $2,000 to $2,500 around here. I can't see the benefits of buying a has been older bull.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:38 pm

Market value with some added on top.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:01 pm

If you like the calves either or both have been throwing then a fair price is in the 2-2500 range or top kill price as has been stated. Kill bulls here are running $.85 to .95 / lb. Perhaps the semen quality goes down, we have had bulls for 8-10 years that only have gotten culled because they got an attitude or decided to go gallivanting to the neighbors. We seldom cull for poor breeding but have a few times. Mostly it is because of one wanting to be somewhere else all the time.

I would go with the one that was tested if you like the calves equally. The one thing is that you know what he is throwing so getting a couple of replacement heifer crops out of him is definitely worth going with an older bull.

Another thing to consider, is either one of them a "rough" breeder? Some bulls are just hard on cows, you really don't want one that will ride them into the ground, or jumps on a cow and just weighs her down. Some bulls are easy breeders and seem to hold their weight up off the cow better. Little things like that can make a difference.
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:09 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:You can buy good quality young bulls for $2,000 to $2,500 around here.
I can't see the benefits of buying a has been older bull.

Perhaps these were high quality $6,000+ young bulls a few years ago and after seeing 3 of his neighbor's calf crops
he would like to add these genetics at a more affordable price. Top bulls end up in the slaughter pen too.
2 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Older bull can handle more cattle than a yearling, and especially if you can see his heifers, I definitely can see the draw to a known older bull. I wouldn't be scared of a six yr old, at all. My old bull is 9, and I dread trying to replace him. He's just getting too big, and heavy like fj mentioned. Not very gentlemanly, in that he puts a lot of weight on a cow, and i've got some smaller 3 yr olds that are ready for a cow bull, just not that kind of weight. I would say a premium over kill of whatever you think is fair, 500?, on a semen and trich tested/known quality heifers and bw.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:45 am

If you can see the heifers the older bull makes and you like them, that's a big plus.. Assuming he breeds properly, gentlemanly, and stays where he ought to, you can add great genetics at a good discount on price..
Someone must have liked my Limo bull I sold last month, they paid top dollar for him, $1.14/lb (CAD)... He was 5 years old. Meanwhile I got the bull I raised and sold to a friend back, also 5 years old, made great calves for him, and is very well mannered all around.. give him a shot for a year and see what he does in my herd.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”