I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke and doesn't look to be swollen any where else

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Re: I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke and doesn't look to be swollen any where e

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:40 am

Loretta wrote:Thanks for the help

You're welcome.

Let us know how things turn out.
Live each day as if it were your last.

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke and doesn't look to be swollen any where e

Postby Loretta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:57 am

I got horse ligament medicine I have some of the swollen to out of it it still won't put wait on it just to move it around

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:12 am

I had a calf with a very similar injury this spring. Ive searched for a video I shot But it seems to be lost with the phone I lost. Never made it to the cloud.
Difference in this case was the calf broke it's leg at about two weeks old. I saw it at a few days old just fine. A few days later with the obvious broken leg. It was keeping up with mom and she was headed for the hills. Nothing I could do.
At about two weeks I found it bedded down with a couple of other calves. I videoed as I honked the cows down off the hill. The calves mother ate some cake I dumped out went and nursed the calf. And headed back out. She kept it in that general area for a few weeks. Then I would start seeing the calf with the other cattle. Still with a noticeable limp but no problem getting around. All the pairs just got hauled home That calf's out there right now and you couldn't tell it ever had a problem.
I never did a thing but let the cow raise her calf.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:48 am

This calf don't have a mom I am I guess the calf won't put no wait one it it holds it up I got the horse ligament medicine to get some of the swelling out of it I bought the calf from a friend to help him out The medicine seems to be helping a little bit

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:53 am

But even with it holding it up it still gets around it just started putting enough wait on it to move it around

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:55 am

Loretta wrote:This calf don't have a mom I am I guess the calf won't put no wait one it it holds it up I got the horse ligament medicine to get some of the swelling out of it I bought the calf from a friend to help him out The medicine seems to be helping a little bit

O yes ma'am. I was just talking that's all. You definitely got a different kinda deal on your hands. To be honest I would probably butcher the calf and be done with it. If that doesn't suit you that's just fine to.
Good luck
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:06 pm

I will keep using the ligament medicine for now it seems it is helping and I have been doing it for 2days

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:32 pm

Keep Us informed , if it's helping , keep it up .
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:15 am

When I first put the medicine on it popped what would you say that was it made him jerk when it popped and I was just feeling of it

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:18 pm

That sounds like bone moving, the hock is a fairly stable joint, I would be looking further up the leg for the problem. A dislocated hip can do that as the ball moves over the pelvis and gets caught and then releases as it pops over the bone as the limb is moved.

Ken

VirginiaCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby VirginiaCattle » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:03 pm

My vet has always advised "wait and see" when it comes to leg injuries like that. I'd give the calf time to figure it out. I had a heifer get hit by a car and ruined her front shoulder. It took her a while but she figured out how to use her leg as a cane and put back the weight she lost initially.

Some of you are saying put it down, I think if it has the will to live and remains mobile you give it a shot. You'll quickly exceed the value of that calf calling a vet.

Using horse medicine on cows isn't a good practice in general. Horses aren't considered food animals and cattle are. You should research that what you are giving this calf can be eaten by humans.

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Even being it's knee

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Loretta wrote:Even being it's knee

Doesn;t matter what or where anything is used. For food animals it must be cleared for use on food animals.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Okay what could I get for it

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:55 pm

And it feels like there is alot of flud on it