I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke and doesn't look to be swollen any where else

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Re: I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke and doesn't look to be swollen any where e

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:40 am

Loretta wrote:Thanks for the help

You're welcome.

Let us know how things turn out.
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke and doesn't look to be swollen any where e

Postby Loretta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:57 am

I got horse ligament medicine I have some of the swollen to out of it it still won't put wait on it just to move it around
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:12 am

I had a calf with a very similar injury this spring. Ive searched for a video I shot But it seems to be lost with the phone I lost. Never made it to the cloud.
Difference in this case was the calf broke it's leg at about two weeks old. I saw it at a few days old just fine. A few days later with the obvious broken leg. It was keeping up with mom and she was headed for the hills. Nothing I could do.
At about two weeks I found it bedded down with a couple of other calves. I videoed as I honked the cows down off the hill. The calves mother ate some cake I dumped out went and nursed the calf. And headed back out. She kept it in that general area for a few weeks. Then I would start seeing the calf with the other cattle. Still with a noticeable limp but no problem getting around. All the pairs just got hauled home That calf's out there right now and you couldn't tell it ever had a problem.
I never did a thing but let the cow raise her calf.
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:48 am

This calf don't have a mom I am I guess the calf won't put no wait one it it holds it up I got the horse ligament medicine to get some of the swelling out of it I bought the calf from a friend to help him out The medicine seems to be helping a little bit
0 x

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:53 am

But even with it holding it up it still gets around it just started putting enough wait on it to move it around
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:55 am

Loretta wrote:This calf don't have a mom I am I guess the calf won't put no wait one it it holds it up I got the horse ligament medicine to get some of the swelling out of it I bought the calf from a friend to help him out The medicine seems to be helping a little bit

O yes ma'am. I was just talking that's all. You definitely got a different kinda deal on your hands. To be honest I would probably butcher the calf and be done with it. If that doesn't suit you that's just fine to.
Good luck
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:06 pm

I will keep using the ligament medicine for now it seems it is helping and I have been doing it for 2days
0 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:32 pm

Keep Us informed , if it's helping , keep it up .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:15 am

When I first put the medicine on it popped what would you say that was it made him jerk when it popped and I was just feeling of it
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:18 pm

That sounds like bone moving, the hock is a fairly stable joint, I would be looking further up the leg for the problem. A dislocated hip can do that as the ball moves over the pelvis and gets caught and then releases as it pops over the bone as the limb is moved.

Ken
0 x

VirginiaCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby VirginiaCattle » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:03 pm

My vet has always advised "wait and see" when it comes to leg injuries like that. I'd give the calf time to figure it out. I had a heifer get hit by a car and ruined her front shoulder. It took her a while but she figured out how to use her leg as a cane and put back the weight she lost initially.

Some of you are saying put it down, I think if it has the will to live and remains mobile you give it a shot. You'll quickly exceed the value of that calf calling a vet.

Using horse medicine on cows isn't a good practice in general. Horses aren't considered food animals and cattle are. You should research that what you are giving this calf can be eaten by humans.
0 x

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Even being it's knee
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Loretta wrote:Even being it's knee

Doesn;t matter what or where anything is used. For food animals it must be cleared for use on food animals.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Okay what could I get for it
0 x

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:55 pm

And it feels like there is alot of flud on it
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”