New castration band on the market?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: New castration band on the market?

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:27 pm

They do smell for a day or two... really confuses the buzzards....lol
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:12 pm

May try the small slit that you do the next time we band any bigger calves. We try to do most small too, but there are a few that have just been missed, and a few times we have bought cows with calves on them; have bought some 4-5 wt bull calves a few times when they were cheap for whatever reason, banded then and fed them. Also, we have kept a few of ours as bulls to see how they do, out of cow/bull matings that we liked; the option being keeping them as bulls for replacements. Then if they don't do as we want, they get banded. We have also kept a group as bulls til they weigh in the 4 wts., to see how they grow, then banded to sell as 5 wts. I really like the added growth, but at many places we rent there are no facilities to work cattle except for the catch pens we set up, so not practical.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:58 am

farmerjan wrote:May try the small slit that you do the next time we band any bigger calves. We try to do most small too, but there are a few that have just been missed, and a few times we have bought cows with calves on them; have bought some 4-5 wt bull calves a few times when they were cheap for whatever reason, banded then and fed them. Also, we have kept a few of ours as bulls to see how they do, out of cow/bull matings that we liked; the option being keeping them as bulls for replacements. Then if they don't do as we want, they get banded. We have also kept a group as bulls til they weigh in the 4 wts., to see how they grow, then banded to sell as 5 wts. I really like the added growth, but at many places we rent there are no facilities to work cattle except for the catch pens we set up, so not practical.

I wouldn't, if the calf is big so are his testicles. A slit might allow it to fall out.. If a knife gets anywhere near, you might as well just cut it all off.....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

jschoolcraft86
Beginner
Beginner

Postby jschoolcraft86 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Haven't tried the zipbandit deal but I've used a Callicrate Pro and I didn't like it too much (Felt like I needed three hands to use it well). Maybe I just need a little more practice with the bander to get the technique down, but I've decided to take the guesswork out and just learn how to knife castrate a little later this week.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:30 am

You can make a be nice of a mess out of one with a knife. But when done correctly there is very little blood and calves are over it with in a day or two.
The moon is right this week.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:28 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
farmerjan wrote:May try the small slit that you do the next time we band any bigger calves. We try to do most small too, but there are a few that have just been missed, and a few times we have bought cows with calves on them; have bought some 4-5 wt bull calves a few times when they were cheap for whatever reason, banded then and fed them. Also, we have kept a few of ours as bulls to see how they do, out of cow/bull matings that we liked; the option being keeping them as bulls for replacements. Then if they don't do as we want, they get banded. We have also kept a group as bulls til they weigh in the 4 wts., to see how they grow, then banded to sell as 5 wts. I really like the added growth, but at many places we rent there are no facilities to work cattle except for the catch pens we set up, so not practical.

I wouldn't, if the calf is big so are his testicles. A slit might allow it to fall out.. If a knife gets anywhere near, you might as well just cut it all off.....

do you not read SMALL the size I make there aint NO WAY - NO WAY they will ''fall out''
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:25 pm

BRYANT wrote:do you not read SMALL the size I make there aint NO WAY - NO WAY they will ''fall out''

As the sack rots a hole can get large enough to open up specially if gravity is pulling down on the nut.....I would not cut anything if you band. Just cut them off...
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:27 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
BRYANT wrote:do you not read SMALL the size I make there aint NO WAY - NO WAY they will ''fall out''

As the sack rots a hole can get large enough to open up specially if gravity is pulling down on the nut.....I would not cut anything if you band. Just cut them off...

how many have you did this way??? if you do them the way I do that is not true. its a drain hole/slit never had what you are saying to happen, but I don't have a bunch of slim rotten flesh like you are saying either. Anything that can drain will dry. Either way will work your way they rot off and they stink and the slimy infection goes someplace ??? don't know where. My way they dry up, very little -if any smell, no big bunch of slime, in just a few days they fall off. from what you are saying sounds like you have never tried it my way and are committing on something you know nothing about.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:55 pm

I feel a band restricts the blood flow and once you band a animal you could feasibly cut the sack and both nuts off. The problem with doing that is if the band comes off the animal could possibly bleed to death. I've never tried cutting a slit in the bottom of the sack when I band, but I do cut the bottom of the sack off when I knife cut for drainage.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:57 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I feel a band restricts the blood flow and once you band a animal you could feasibly cut the sack and both nuts off. The problem with doing that is if the band comes off the animal could possibly bleed to death. I've never tried cutting a slit in the bottom of the sack when I band, but I do cut the bottom of the sack off when I knife cut for drainage.

I have thought that it would be a good way to castrate is band today and cut them the next, but more handling than I would want to do. I band almost all of mine with in 3 days and that size I do not cut a drain, tried it but could not tell that it help on he small ones.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”