New castration band on the market?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: New castration band on the market?

Postby farmerjan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:23 pm

It will be interesting to hear what your opinion of them is. We use both the "cheerios" bands when little; and the bigger "calicrate" bander for bulls with some size. Yes the bands are $3.00 ea. We have had only 1 break in over 10 years. We have NEVER had a calf get swollen nuts or infection. In half an hour they are back to eating like nothing ever happened to them. I keep them around the barn for a couple days, get them back in and if the sack is getting cold, that is good, which means no blood flow which means we did it right. We have cut the sack off after a week or so, or just let it fall off which will take a few weeks to 2 months...they are all different.
And yes they get a tetanus shot. Cheap insurance too.
1 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:01 am

I've not had any trouble with the California bander. It only takes a few seconds and they walk out of the chute and go right back to grazing.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:08 am

farmerjan wrote:It will be interesting to hear what your opinion of them is. We use both the "cheerios" bands when little; and the bigger "calicrate" bander for bulls with some size. Yes the bands are $3.00 ea. We have had only 1 break in over 10 years. We have NEVER had a calf get swollen nuts or infection. In half an hour they are back to eating like nothing ever happened to them. I keep them around the barn for a couple days, get them back in and if the sack is getting cold, that is good, which means no blood flow which means we did it right. We have cut the sack off after a week or so, or just let it fall off which will take a few weeks to 2 months...they are all different.

same here.

I don't see how this zip tie works.. I have to crank the crap out of my callicrate and its TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT.... like.. holy crap thats hurting my balls its so tight.

Not sure how you'd be able to get this that tight.
1 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:18 am

farmerjan wrote:It will be interesting to hear what your opinion of them is. We use both the "cheerios" bands when little; and the bigger "calicrate" bander for bulls with some size. Yes the bands are $3.00 ea. We have had only 1 break in over 10 years. We have NEVER had a calf get swollen nuts or infection. In half an hour they are back to eating like nothing ever happened to them. I keep them around the barn for a couple days, get them back in and if the sack is getting cold, that is good, which means no blood flow which means we did it right. We have cut the sack off after a week or so, or just let it fall off which will take a few weeks to 2 months...they are all different.

am I reading this right you run them through the shoot 3 times just to castrate
1) to place the band. 2) to check to see if the sack is getting cold. 3) to cut sack off after a week or so.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:02 pm

No we don't necessarily run them through the chute 3 times. 1) to band and get the tetanus shot. Then I usually keep them at the barn lot for a couple of days. They are eating at the trough and I can walk behind and look/and feel if the sack is colder than the body temp. If they look swollen or any problem, yes they go back in the chute. Have had 2 that I was concerned about in maybe the last 10 years or maybe 6-700 bandings. But, I do like to keep a close eye on them JUST IN CASE. Losing one calf cuz I was in a hurry to kick it out is just not prudent in my opinion. Yes, if we decide to cut the sack off then they go back through the chute... Something that we have found; that getting them to go up the alley into the chute and out again, helps to make them less upset and quieter to work with. I do not want to deal with crazy cattle. These calves will go to pasture and not be in an enclosed pen for months at a time. When we do go to work them, they remember that we are not the bad guys, that a pen is not going to kill them, that us calling them means something good, and most of all, momma says this is a good place to be so okay, we will go with her.
We don't cut the sack off unless we are planning to sell them soon, and don't want that smelly thing hanging off them. But usually, they just fall off whenever....

So one definite trip in the chute, then it's optional....
1 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 am

A few here have suggested slitting the sack at banding, so I tried a few this year and it really hurried up the process. Sacks dropped off within 2 weeks, vs 4+ without.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:08 am

I'm curious. If your going to slit the sack anyway . Or cut it off a week later. Why not go ahead and finish the castrating right then and there. Forget the bands altogether.
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:50 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I like it, looks really easy to make.

I'm in the wrong business....looks easy to me too. I may try it.....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Pocket knife cost me maybe ten bucks years ago. It has castrated a ton of bull calves with very little maintenance and still works. I do have to sharpen it every now and then.
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:21 pm

Don't want to deal with the blood and flies and possible infection with cutting....plus I used to have the vet do them when I was first starting out and had 3 nearly bleed to death. I blame it on the "sign" being wrong partly, but it just soured me on just plain cutting. I like the whole thing of cutting off the circulation.....And they seem to suffer so much less than straight cutting. Maybe it's just me...but then that's why there are a dozen different ways to do things....
1 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:22 pm

I don't know, it may be fine, but looks a little risky to me. I try to do as many of ours with the little green rings as possible, have never had any issues from that. For bigger ones, years ago I got one of those eze banders that uses the roll of tubing and a metal clip. Last year I got an XL bander and have used it on a few with so far no problems and it is easy to use.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:28 pm

farmerjan wrote:Don't want to deal with the blood and flies and possible infection with cutting....plus I used to have the vet do them when I was first starting out and had 3 nearly bleed to death. I blame it on the "sign" being wrong partly, but it just soured me on just plain cutting. I like the whole thing of cutting off the circulation.....And they seem to suffer so much less than straight cutting. Maybe it's just me...but then that's why there are a dozen different ways to do things....

I agree, we have lost a couple over the years from bleeding, and had to have the vet with a couple more that thought were going to bleed to death. Years ago had some bought calves cut, and several got infected and had to have them lanced and treated for infection.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:10 pm

There is a thread in Cattle Sales about cattle being subsidized by owners. These bands cost $3.00 each. All those little costs add up and take away from profit. I have cut thousands of calves in 50+ years of owning cattle. Never had one bled heavily. The only one I have treated for infection was cut by a vet. But if you are happy banding, I am happy.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Ky hills wrote:
farmerjan wrote:Don't want to deal with the blood and flies and possible infection with cutting....plus I used to have the vet do them when I was first starting out and had 3 nearly bleed to death. I blame it on the "sign" being wrong partly, but it just soured me on just plain cutting. I like the whole thing of cutting off the circulation.....And they seem to suffer so much less than straight cutting. Maybe it's just me...but then that's why there are a dozen different ways to do things....

I agree, we have lost a couple over the years from bleeding, and had to have the vet with a couple more that thought were going to bleed to death. Years ago had some bought calves cut, and several got infected and had to have them lanced and treated for infection.

It takes less people too. While the guys tag, vaccinate, whatever they do, I reach in and snap on a band....so quick. SIL worked for a big ranch near here. He said they had to rope the calf with 2 ropers, then stretched the calf over some sort of horrible sounding rack to stretch the calf out, then 2 more guys did the shots and castrating....Just takes 2 of us and we never have to exert ourselves.....I do get pooped on occasionally...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:01 pm

callmefence wrote:I'm curious. If your going to slit the sack anyway . Or cut it off a week later. Why not go ahead and finish the castrating right then and there. Forget the bands altogether.

I band 95 % of mine at birth, with in 3 days, and do not see a big advantage to slitting the bag. but older ones there is a big difference, they fall off much faster and they drain and dry there is not a big glob of rotten smelly infection on them. As slitting goes it is a small cut like I said I like to just nick them with a pair of ear notchers, nothing like cutting them with a knife , very little blood. As for cutting them off a week later that would not be a option in my way of doing it. Its kind of like trying to make a GMC man drive a ford, what you like you like and what you don't you don't. I hunted a place one time that had 90 head of banded bulls/steers that weigh around 800 - 900 lbs. and they smelled like they were dead and rotten. I made up my mind right there that I would leave them bulls if I could not do something better than that, and all they would have had to do was a small slit and they would have done dried up.
Just the way I do it not trying to get others to do it the same, do it how it works best for you.
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”