Heifer not bagging up

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Heifer not bagging up

Postby kentuckyguy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:34 pm

I bought a heifer that’s supposed to be good to her AI and due late October early November.

Problem is she has not started bagging up at all. Should I be concerned or is this sometimes normal?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Heifer not bagging up

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Some don't bag until a few days before. She's not due for maybe another 3 weeks (before Nov. 14th)
Chill for now.

But who did the preg check and when? Sale barn vet can be off by a couple of months fairly easy.
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:07 pm

She was AI’d and patched. Never got hit by the clean up bull.
She definitely looks bred to me but no sign of bagging up.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:22 pm

I think I'd stick my arm up her or get a vet to make sure she is not just fat. Don't want to be negative, just a possibility.....What was her AI date? You should have a definite due date if she was AI'd and then you allow +/- a week or so. What breed is she? Some breeds carry longer, some heifers - and cows - don't bag much before. I have a few I wasn't looking for and next thing I knew they had a baby and a nice little bag.
1 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:38 pm

She is a simmental angus heifer. Her due date is October 31st.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:14 pm

A lot of heifers don't bag much and due dates are generally approximate, bull calves seem to need a little more time in the cooker. Watch for other signs: is she starting to spring (get swollen)? Keep an eye out for the mucus plug/discharge. She may start to get a little more attentive, groom other cows more than normal, look for a place to calve (even if you have her confined in a barn), isolate herself. Spend more time at the protein tub. My Simm/Angus seem to have larger bags (and they're generally my bigger girls) but heifers are always tricky - you just never know :roll:
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Looked at her this morning really good and I’m not very optimistic of her having a calf in the next week and a half.
She does have some swelling in the vulva but utter hasn’t changed much at all.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:23 pm

The watched pot never calves! At least she's showing signs of being bred and close, even if the bag isn't showing it... Some do bag up late.
1 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:40 pm

Had a heifer last year calving for the first time. Her due date was February 26. The night of the 25th I looked at her and she did not look close at all. Went ahead and penned her up near the barn to keep an eye on her. The next morning went to the barn and she was nursing a dandy 75 lbs heifer. I would not panic yet as some cows, especially heifers don't show many signs.
0 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:06 pm

No need to panic , read above posts , all true . Everyone has been fooled , when it's time it's time .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Her bag has doubled in size since yesterday. Normally she is a little skittish and won’t let you get right up on her.
Today I had to tap her on the back to make her get up so I could get a good look at her.
She might end up having a Halloween calf after all.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Her body was telling her that it is getting close now so time to get a little milk ready....Most of our angus don't do much bagging until a few days before calving. If they bag too much too soon, there seems to be more mastitis problems....I think you will have that calf within a week of her due date...
1 x

farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby farmboy80 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:51 pm

I had a Angus heifer that didn't bag hardly at all until she calved. So it just hard to tell on heifers.
0 x
God, Family, Friends, Cattle. The order of the last two is debatable!

Nite Hawk
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Nite Hawk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:08 am

I had a jersey once that bagged AFTER she calved, not that common, but it happened, was doing a bit of worrying on that one..
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:22 am

Nite Hawk wrote:I had a jersey once that bagged AFTER she calved, not that common, but it happened, was doing a bit of worrying on that one..

Our spring calving season was strange like that. A couple bagged up a month before calving, a couple just started bagging shortly before calving and some didn;t bag till after calving. The folks that have their cows here are seeing the same thing with their fall calving cows.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”