Smaller cow math vs. Longer calf ownership ?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1192
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: Smaller cow math vs. Longer calf ownership ?

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 pm

I was referring to price per lb being the same on weaned calves (5 wts) and feeders (7-9 wts)
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7651
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Smaller cow math vs. Longer calf ownership ?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Just confusing terminology. When does a weaned calf become a feeder. To me, a weaned calf is a feeder calf as soon as it is weaned.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1192
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: Smaller cow math vs. Longer calf ownership ?

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Just confusing terminology. When does a weaned calf become a feeder. To me, a weaned calf is a feeder calf as soon as it is weaned.

I consider a 7-9 wt a feeder or yearling that goes to a feedlot, weaned calves would be called calves or stockers. Varies with geography I suppose. Is there much stocker phase in the Northeast?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7651
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Smaller cow math vs. Longer calf ownership ?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 am

Very, very little. Our weaned calves are 6-700# (some up to 800). You really don't want to background a calf like that.
I lived in Kansas many years ago (left in 78), and average ww was much smaller and there was a LOT of back-grounding. That was one of the biggest problem with the Simmental breed in the early years. People still back-grounded them and grew MORE frame, so by the time they finished on the feedlots, they were 1600-1700#.
We have lush grass/clover grows native all summer. It is GREEN here all year, just buried under the snow 1/2 the year. LOL
I have been on this farm since 1978 and we have never plowed up a pasture. We have frost seeded clover maybe 4 times in all those years.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7282
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Smaller cow math vs. Longer calf ownership ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:40 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I have been on this farm since 1978 and we have never plowed up a pasture. We have frost seeded clover maybe 4 times in all those years.


Seems too easy. Must be some rocks down there for you?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7282
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Smaller cow math vs. Longer calf ownership ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:44 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Our weaned calves are 6-700# (some up to 800). You really don't want to background a calf like that.


A lot of 600# sim angus weaned calves here. Do you thinking back grounding a calf like that is unprofitable, or just that the cuts get too big for the box?
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7651
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Smaller cow math vs. Longer calf ownership ?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:15 am

Both. Why waste the time back grounding? Time is money. Growthy calves can go right from preconditioning (30-45 days) to a feedlot. They can be ready to harvest at 13-15 months of age.
Cornell used to have a feedlot program. You kept ownership & delivered your calves to them on specific days. They were fed & weighed each month. They harvested them as they became ready - up to a certain date, then all were harvested.
My calves averaged 1300# at 13 months of age. Almost all were in the mid-Choice range, several Prime, with maybe 3 going Select in over 7 years. Many went CAB.
Not bragging, just making a point that time is money. Why back ground & delay finishing.
And, also, why grow more frame to end up with a larger than needed finished product?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4525
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Smaller cow math vs. Longer calf ownership ?

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:55 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Both. Why waste the time back grounding? Time is money. Growthy calves can go right from preconditioning (30-45 days) to a feedlot. They can be ready to harvest at 13-15 months of age.
Cornell used to have a feedlot program. You kept ownership & delivered your calves to them on specific days. They were fed & weighed each month. They harvested them as they became ready - up to a certain date, then all were harvested.
My calves averaged 1300# at 13 months of age. Almost all were in the mid-Choice range, several Prime, with maybe 3 going Select in over 7 years. Many went CAB.
Not bragging, just making a point that time is money. Why back ground & delay finishing.
And, also, why grow more frame to end up with a larger than needed finished product?

I've often wondered how much age has to do with tenderness and grade.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7282
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Smaller cow math vs. Longer calf ownership ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:29 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Just making a point that time is money. Why back ground & delay finishing.


1) You like pounds more than dollars.
2) You like revenue per head more than profit.
3) You like feeding calves and hauling manure more than ice fishing.
4) You have unsalable feed.
5) You are a gambler and think the market will go up.
6) You are really good and it rained and so you can "stocker" them on pasture at a low COG.
7) Someone talked you into using a 3 frame bull.

The reasons are endless. ;-)
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7651
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Smaller cow math vs. Longer calf ownership ?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Well, yes, I guess you have a point. No reasons that would fit my program. Although the working vs fishing is do-able.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."


Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests