Calving Ease

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Calving Ease

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:59 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:What bull is 1143Y?

He is a Genex Bull. W/C Lock N Load 1143Y. 2684560.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:40 am

He's a white faced bull, imagine that .
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:46 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

I honestly did not know he had a blaze until this morning when I looked him up for Jeanne. I am not exaggerating when I say Kris does all my matings. In the last 2 years, I think I argued with her on maybe 2 cases. If she breeds for blaze faces she doesn't tell me.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:50 am

Jeanne, I like your answer, I think we have lost site of truly breeding cattle. Doubt I'll ever be a true breeder but no more extremes for me.
Ron, look up a bull called Tux and Tails, throws alot of blaze..big footed well made animal. If you like him let me know I'll get the owner info.
2 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:55 am

bse wrote:Jeanne, I like your answer, I think we have lost site of truly breeding cattle. Doubt I'll ever be a true breeder but no more extremes for me.
Ron, look up a bull called Tux and Tails, throws alot of blaze..big footed well made animal. If you like him let me know I'll get the owner info.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME:

0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:50 am

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

I honestly did not know he had a blaze until this morning when I looked him up for Jeanne. I am not exaggerating when I say Kris does all my matings. In the last 2 years, I think I argued with her on maybe 2 cases. If she breeds for blaze faces she doesn't tell me.

Well YOU need to start paying a little more attention Ron. I find it hard to believe that a book smart person would turn the most important decision in the cow business over to someone else. I think you figured out that you don't want to use a blazed faced sire over blazed faced cows...in the Simmental breed.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:52 am

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

He's a good bull blazed face and all.
0 x

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redcowsrule33 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
bse wrote:Jeanne, I like your answer, I think we have lost site of truly breeding cattle. Doubt I'll ever be a true breeder but no more extremes for me.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME:

I think this is who he's talking about: https://www.facebook.com/GreerSimmentals/photos/a.231652963626841.52203.230558747069596/759450994180366/?type=3&theater

Good looking bull, but his CEM is abysmal.
0 x
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:36 pm

redcowsrule33 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME:

I think this is who he's talking about: https://www.facebook.com/GreerSimmentals/photos/a.231652963626841.52203.230558747069596/759450994180366/?type=3&theater

Good looking bull, but his CEM is abysmal.

Thank you. He looks good!
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:25 pm

He is a full brother to W/C Loaded Up, who is making waves in the Simmental world. I have seen many Loaded Up calves, but his semen is too high for my AI use. When my Genex rep told me they picked up his full brother, and he comes highly recommended from a trusted breeder who has calves on the ground by him, I decided to try him.
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 64&lang=EN

TG, as much as we love the white face, we do not "chase it". In my tank, I have about 3/4 bulls that are solid black or red, and 1/4 that have a blaze face. My matings are done based first on the pedigree of the cow, then on the EPD's of that cow and where she needs help. Phenotype is the third selection criteria. On Ron's cattle, he sends me reg numbers on all of his cows around September, and I take several days to research each cow, look at her resulting calves, and decided for what Ron has in his tank what will likely be the best match (he does not want a bunch of inventory of semen). I see his cows every year, and his calves, so I know them well (cause gosh knows he can not take a decent picture).
This year, 1143, Optimizer and Live Ammo are the only bulls that have a white face that he is using. I will use Optimizer a bunch again, because it is hard to beat the calves at weaning and yearling weights!

Plus, who cares what Ron is chasing. His calves look better than ever, and he is having a great time producing and raising them. And so far, he has not had any problems selling his calves. Let him do what he wants to do.
3 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Lazy M » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Gotta admit I think that the white face looks pretty cool, even if it does apparently make me a sorry cattleman..
1 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Ron you had the right one, do you not like him????? Lol
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:

He is a full brother to W/C Loaded Up, who is making waves in the Simmental world. I have seen many Loaded Up calves, but his semen is too high for my AI use. When my Genex rep told me they picked up his full brother, and he comes highly recommended from a trusted breeder who has calves on the ground by him, I decided to try him.

TG, as much as we love the white face, we do not "chase it". In my tank, I have about 3/4 bulls that are solid black or red, and 1/4 that have a blaze face. My matings are done based first on the pedigree of the cow, then on the EPD's of that cow and where she needs help. Phenotype is the third selection criteria. On Ron's cattle, he sends me reg numbers on all of his cows around September, and I take several days to research each cow, look at her resulting calves, and decided for what Ron has in his tank what will likely be the best match (he does not want a bunch of inventory of semen). I see his cows every year, and his calves, so I know them well (cause gosh knows he can not take a decent picture).
This year, 1143, Optimizer and Live Ammo are the only bulls that have a white face that he is using. I will use Optimizer a bunch again, because it is hard to beat the calves at weaning and yearling weights!

Plus, who cares what Ron is chasing. His calves look better than ever, and he is having a great time producing and raising them. And so far, he has not had any problems selling his calves. Let him do what he wants to do.

That's about the most ignorant post I've ever read. The Simmental breed is bigger than Ron, and should be treated as such. Some folks will do anything for a dollar and screw trying to improve or do what's right for the breed. Breeders like you two are not doing anything positive for the Simmental breed, just profiting off of it. IMO

This heifer has some excellent Simmental bloodlines and numbers behind her and will be used as a recip. She has no papers and no DNA samples, it would be a disservice to the Simmental breed.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:15 pm

bse wrote:Ron you had the right one, do you not like him????? Lol

Lol. He would sure put some white on them.
:cboy:
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:38 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:

That's about the most ignorant post I've ever read. The Simmental breed is bigger than Ron, and should be treated as such. Some folks will do anything for a dollar and screw trying to improve or do what's right for the breed. Breeders like you two are not doing anything positive for the Simmental breed, just profiting off of it. IMO

This heifer has some excellent Simmental bloodlines and numbers behind her and will be used as a recip. She has no papers and no DNA samples, it would be a disservice to the Simmental breed.

Your loss. I have more bull buyers than I have bulls for (which is good in today's market), and I have no problem marketing my cattle. You can play in your sandbox of rules, and I will play in mine.
We have won our county carcass contest EVERY year since it started (ALWAYS grading Choice) with my sorry cattle, so I'll keep going after performance and excelling. You do what you want to do.
1 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”