Composite Bulls ?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Composite Bulls ?

Postby Silver » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:59 pm

frieghttrain wrote:
Silver wrote:Image

Here is a random photo of a pen full of "one of each" steers. Been running mongrels here on this place for a long time, I don't feel it's doing us any harm.

I like that heifer in the back with the limo butt.

No Limo breeding, and no heifers in that pen :cboy: , but thanks!
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:48 am

Supa Dexta wrote:What bugs me about all the mixed cattle is the inconsistency. Find something you like and you cant replicate it.

That an it causes the sale barn to split them off and sell singles all day long, takes forever sitting thru a sale.

That is the only way they are sold here at the barn.
0 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Silver wrote:
frieghttrain wrote:

Here is a random photo of a pen full of "one of each" steers. Been running mongrels here on this place for a long time, I don't feel it's doing us any harm.

I like that heifer in the back with the limo butt.

No Limo breeding, and no heifers in that pen :cboy: , but thanks!

My bad i assumed it was a heifer as i couldn't see the navel :lol: What bulls are you using out of curiosity?
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:40 pm

frieghttrain wrote:My bad i assumed it was a heifer as i couldn't see the navel :lol: What bulls are you using out of curiosity?

Can't remember exactly what year I took the pic, but I think at the time we still had some Blonde bulls, and some Red Angus / Simmie cross at that time. Now we are mostly Simmie / Red Angus cross bulls with some straight Simmie.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Not a great picture, but it does show that mongrels can be like enough in type to be sold together in groups.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Back to the original question, well sorta. Do people buy these bulls to put on a purebred herd like all angus or all hereford?
I mean you wouldn't put a composite bull like these on a mixed herd would you? Can a 4 or 5 way cross be good?

They look like good bulls I am just trying to understand who their customers are?
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:44 pm

bird dog wrote:Back to the original question, well sorta. Do people buy these bulls to put on a purebred herd like all angus or all hereford?
I mean you wouldn't put a composite bull like these on a mixed herd would you? Can a 4 or 5 way cross be good?

They look like good bulls I am just trying to understand who their customers are?

Can't speak for anyone else here but that's exactly what we do. Our thoughts are that good cattle are good cattle regardless of their purity. We run crossbred bulls on crossbred cows. If you have a vision and a plan for what it is you are looking for papers just get in the way :)
Having said that, we don't just throw every breed in the book at them, we do try to keep the plan consistent.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:45 am

You get better heterosis (sp?) if you use a composite on a "pure" breed. they don't have to be papered cattle.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:34 am

bird dog wrote:Back to the original question, well sorta. Do people buy these bulls to put on a purebred herd like all angus or all hereford?

There are good markets for 1/4 continental breeding.

A 4 or 5 way cross will maximize variation. Not a good market for that kind.

You have the odd prepotent cow that will throw a similar calf with most composite bulls, but they are not common.
0 x
Stocker Steve

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:16 pm

The posts aren't in a straight line Silver............ :lol:
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:29 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:What bugs me about all the mixed cattle is the inconsistency. Find something you like and you cant replicate it.

That an it causes the sale barn to split them off and sell singles all day long, takes forever sitting thru a sale.

Our cow herd is what one might call "multicultural" but also having a lot of similarities from one to the next. They are Angus based, both red and black with some Gelbveih, or Simmental, or Saler, or Horned Hereford mixed in various quantities. Our bulls are 60% home raised, picked from proven cows and a "who's your Daddy?" sire.
We sold 276 s/c this year. The were sorted into 2, 60,000 lb tridem loads, 24 little 358 lb peanuts and a single rat tailed grey. I think that is uniform enough for a "mongrel" herd.

As told in Baxter Black's "Cow Committee" poem

Whatever suits you teeekles me,
said Juan from Mehico,
I'll second that, said Crossbred Jack,
Just make 'em so they grow.....
1 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:37 am

gcreekrch wrote:

The posts aren't in a straight line Silver............ :lol:

Hey geek,your a picky ba$tard.

Ken
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:23 am

gcreekrch wrote:

Our cow herd is what one might call "multicultural" but also having a lot of similarities from one to the next. They are Angus based, both red and black with some Gelbveih, or Simmental, or Saler, or Horned Hereford mixed in various quantities. Our bulls are 60% home raised, picked from proven cows and a "who's your Daddy?" sire.
We sold 276 s/c this year. The were sorted into 2, 60,000 lb tridem loads, 24 little 358 lb peanuts and a single rat tailed grey. I think that is uniform enough for a "mongrel" herd.

said Juan from Mehico,

So in real world numbers almost 10% didn't really cut the mustard?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:08 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:

said Juan from Mehico,

They still sold in a group didn't they? And not singles. They were out of heifers or on the later end. They weighed 358 and sold for $297.50. Costs us about $600 to produce a calf so even the inferior made a little profit.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:35 am

gcreekrch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:

said Juan from Mehico,

They still sold in a group didn't they? And not singles. They were out of heifers or on the later end. They weighed 358 and sold for $297.50. Costs us about $600 to produce a calf so even the inferior made a little profit.

One of you guys where talking about getting the majority of your cows bred in a 30 day window? So at less than 2lbs a day gain I'd question something? That's good money for the calves so I'm sure they looked great. We always hear how big y'alls weaning weights are up in Canada, its nice to know some of you have normal size calves also.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”