Weird heifer

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Weird heifer

Postby Lazy M » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Was moving heifers to a different farm to calve this weekend. I ran them by the vet on the way to have them palpated. All were bred 6-7 mos. When I dropped them off I noticed that one had a string of mucous hanging from her vulva. I hoped that it was some lube from her palpation, but noticed that she acted sort of agitated compared to the others (pacing around and bawling a little). The vet called her 7 mos bred. Today when I went to check them I found that this heifer had jumped the fence and gotten in with some fall cow/calves. This heifer has never been wild or been a fence jumper before. I didn't have time to run her back into the heifer lot.
I'm a little worried that the haul and palpation may have triggered a miscarriage or something. There are 20 total head and I split the haul into 3 separate groups just so I wouldn't overcrowd them on the trailer. I didn't see anymore discharge on her today and obviously didn't find a fetus carcass. Do you think I should put her in the shoot and palpate her again or just let her calm down and keep an eye on her?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Weird heifer

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:25 pm

As you know, mucus discharge can occur about anytime. Palpation often dislodges mucus. I would watch her. I think the change may be the cause for a case of nerves.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:50 pm

Benign neglect
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:02 am

Where there is smoke there is fire. I'd be suspicious as well.

Ken
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:20 am

That late in the game I bet it's not a miscarriage. If she was in the first stage then it would be more possible.
More likely having a 2x4 sized arm stuck up her hind end caused it.
1 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks for the comments. Checked on her tonight and she seems to have settled back down, and I didn't notice anymore discharge. Hopefully all's well.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”