Calving season is upon us...

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Calving season is upon us...

Postby NEFarmwife » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Well, it’s here. We have 4 calves on the ground already, 3 weeks early.

Wanted to report that all 4 are out of Stingray on our first year heifers but that being said, all are healthy and vigorous.

What a crazy few days! We’ve hauled 160 cows and 4 calves in two days, then drove about that, home to calve.

We have about 100 coming due on the 24th with a small break before another round.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Re: Calving season is upon us...

Postby gizmom » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Sounds like your have been busy with no break in sight. I hope you have a problem free calving season!

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:23 pm

New England Christmas calving? Then realized Ne = Nebraska :oops: lol
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:31 pm

My first thought was New England- but I am a New Englander (born in R.I.)
You planned 100 head to calve 12-24?? :shock:
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:My first thought was New England- but I am a New Englander (born in R.I.)
You planned 100 head to calve 12-24?? :shock:

She's bound to get a Christmas present that way, the real question is was she naughty or nice?
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:43 pm

She will be too tired to know it's Christmas
1 x

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NEFarmwife » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:50 pm

Yes. 100 calves. Our first are expected on 24th but as you can read, a few have hit a bit earlier. We have 100 due to calve, not all on 24th but all AI’d (timed heat) within that week following. These are our first year heifers.

We have the facilities (calving barn with about 20 independent stalls and an area we pen them up at dark for enclosure separate from stalls. We have cameras to be able to check on them to reduce the number of walk-throughs but yes... went a bit more successful than planned and now, it’s a bit overwhelming to think about what lies ahead.

We got 9 on the ground and about 15 that look like they’re ready to calve very soon.

Sleepless in Nebraska. Snow is suppose to arrive Thursday, bet we get some calves outta that one!

And I’m on the nice list!
2 x

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:37 am

21 healthy calves with no assistance, on the ground. Seeing 3-4 a night now. We have 40 or so head at the moment that look like they could calve very soon.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:00 am

Sure a lot less labor when everything goes the way it should. Good job partly done.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:07 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Sure a lot less labor when everything goes the way it should. Good job partly done.

Breeding for calving problems is easy. We know some folks that show Shorthorn cattle, and so far 9 out of 11 calves have needed assistance so far this year.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:26 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Sure a lot less labor when everything goes the way it should. Good job partly done.

Breeding for calving problems is easy. We know some folks that show Shorthorn cattle, and so far 9 out of 11 calves have needed assistance so far this year.

God bless the neighbors with the problems calving those shorthorns. I calved out 12 first calf heifers in Oct and 2 a little later, and they were bred to an easy calving bull. All had the calves and up and going within an hour each time. I would have heart failure if I had to watch them 24/7 due to calving difficulties. And calving out the fall cows we haven't had to deal with any difficulties except one backwards presentation 2 years ago that we pulled and got the calf out and momma was right there licking it and getting it up. We calve on pasture and check twice a day.
May be a little different this year with the ones I bred AI to the Aubracs; haven't preg ckd them yet as they went out with the angus for cleanup in case. Will be moving them home off pasture in the next 2 weeks. Just brought home 13 with bigger heifer calves on them and weaned 8 of the 13. Gonna sell at least 3 of the calves, and one of 2 cows, that is open. 11 of the 13 preg and one may get her first and only "second chance" as her heifer is real nice and it is unusual that she didn't breed back. We pulled the other 8 that had steer calves from that place, and sold them in mid Nov and all those cows were bred. Will make that decision in the next few days. We have done quite a bit of culling and have 10 old cows with smaller calves that will all go when we see an uptick in the market so I can be a little generous with this cow. We have plenty of hay, and she is an easy keeper, always staying in good flesh. Vet said everything felt fine.....
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:31 pm

I originally thought New England also...God bless you for the "CHRISTMAS PRESENT" or curse ??? on 100 due around the holidays!!!!! This is normally the one time of year we hope to catch a break for 2 months, but we have a bunch that were late breeding and will be getting calves for another 2-3 weeks it looks like.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:29 am

I am in RI with family for Christmas. Have 7 heifers due from 1st to 6th. Just got a text that we have a calf up and sucking.
I can't remember the last time we had to assist other than abnormal prensentations.
Wahoo Merry Christmas
1 x

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:54 pm

7-10 a day a day now. 2:30-5am seem to be peek times. All are coming without assistance except for one. It was a 92# calf. Sired by SAV sensation but I’m not blaming the sire. All other sensations have been around 70#. be nice is a sim/angus that we purchased.

I don’t know the count right now but we’re about half done.

Did I mention the feel like temp is -5 and my boots can’t keep my feet warm? Santa brought me a Glock. He should have brought me feet warmers.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:07 pm

4 calves in under 30 minutes! One was upside down, pulled. Another, just as my husband went to go pull the one, another birthed with calf’s head underneath. Saved both.

Tonight’s going to be a long night I’m thinking.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”